Subject: Changing Target Priority rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the rules as it is written. It seems silly that you'd hit your friends first.

I'm thinking of houseruling it to Survivors are always hit last, that way a miss is still a miss, but you are penalized if you try and overkill a group of zombies or if you use a Molotov.

What are you thoughts? Do you play the rule as is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of the rules as written is that you shouldn't shoot into an area with your friends in it. In Z:Black Plague, the rule was changed to misses hit survivors, which a lot of people feel is better. However, close combat weapons are pointless if you can shoot everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Drewbacca"
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the intent is to show how you're playing a bunch of literal "survivors" who aren't necessarily combat experts. Their lack of expertise means it's likely they'll shoot badly and potentially hit survivors.

A common house rule for Moderncide is to use the Black Plague variation where only misses hit survivors, but I actually like threat implied with the rules as written. It makes teamwork far more important.

Don't forget, many Moderncide missions do not require all survivors to survive for a mission to be victorious. Later Zombicide iterations (Black Plague and Green Horde at least) require all survivors to make it to the end or else the mission fails which I think balances the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:
What are you thoughts? Do you play the rule as is?

See /article/26813769 (and the other replies in that thread) for why you "most certainly should" leave it as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play with a house rule of Black Plague targeting and only a 1 hits players. It makes it more realistic, I would never point a gun in the direction of person and hope it doesn't hit them. I would aim and if it was too close of a shot, I would not take it. I completely disagree with the targeting priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slowmow wrote:
Cusm wrote:
We play with a house rule of Black Plague targeting and only a 1 hits players. It makes it more realistic, I would never point a gun in the direction of person and hope it doesn't hit them. I would aim and if it was too close of a shot, I would not take it. I completely disagree with the targeting priority.

Thematically, that totally makes sense.

However have you found that your games tend to favor ranged characters overall?

Not really just because we seem to have very limited number of ranged weapons found. We still end up losing people so I don't feel we are OP with this house rule. Of course we have played more BP and GH since we house ruled range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cusm wrote:

I like that, I may go with that instead. Either way, I know it may be for balance, but it seems silly you'd always hit a survivor instead of a zombie. I could see all misses hit a survivor, but you either miss or hit a survivor makes no sense from a thematic stand point. If you couldn't make sure a shot wouldn't hit another human, I doubt you'd go ahead and take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Zombicide... Jack where have you been! We've wrote extensive views on this. Check out the hundreds of other posts and threads. We go into details to it's beauty, it's perfection and it's downfall.

Don't really want to type it all up all over again but basically... it's to prevent idiot players taking the risk of shooting in to a zone and hitting a survivor. For the sake of that slight risk it's easier to rule it out of the game, making it an instant hit. Kid players, new players, would always take the chance, where as experienced wouldn't, knowing it was too much a risk to end that mission. If it was the other way when the game first came out, many would of said the game is BROKEN, due to the uneducated taking that risk.

In all honesty. Many don't realise how hard it is to hit something down the street, especially untrained, especially something that needs a shot to the head to down. If we were to look at the odds, you would be more likely to hurt your friend than down a zombie.

If anything... I give 'Starts with pistol: Ignore targeting priority when using 1d6 ranged weapons in the same zone.'

Doing it this way doesn't break the progress tree for sniper etc. And, if anyone could aim with less risk, it would be the cop.

When we played BP, we ended up having lots of in game fights and friendly kills due to 1 player saying don't do it, and getting wounded so hitting them back.

Take a LOOK at this.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuLVJBWHVlMjIxMn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosemari Kapp
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
My own personal House rule for ranged is if you miss by 2, i.e if you need a 5 to hit a zombie and you roll a 3 you would hit the survivor.

This means if you manage to hit, you hit a zombie, if you only barely miss you hit nothing, but if you wildly miss you hit a friendly. Not worth it if you have other valid targets.

I feel like if your friend would get destroyed during the next zombie turn if they can't make it out of the zone, it would be very likely they would rather their friend shoot into the area and potentially hit you, and potentially save you rather than just let you get horribly mauled.... after all, if your buddy kills you at least a bullet to the head is better than being eaten alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:
If you couldn't make sure a shot wouldn't hit another human, I doubt you'd go ahead and take it.

That's exactly it. It's just that in this game, being in the same zone as a zombie means that in general survivors can't make sure they wouldn't hit another human when zombies are super close to them. That's why some survivors have special abilities like sniper, point blank, low profile or steady hand that allow shooting into zones with survivors safely.

Other survivors have things like Life Saver or Shove to help make zones safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cusm wrote:

Many here and from a long time play with the Black Plague rules and its great! So you can shoot in a zone with other survivors but hit them with any missed dice. I works perfectly because:

1) WE DO IT RARELY! Because a survivor can only be wounded once: It's too risky! So we do it only in extreme situations. But this home rule allows us to do it sometime to time when needed!

2) It's more REALISTIC than the official rule that would simpler had been written: "Forbidden"!

3) It's FUNNY! The discussion between the players like "can I try?" - "No!" or "Yes but only once" etc ... And when I read somewhere somebody saying that "Stupid" players will wound or kill him ---> WHAT? Are you insulting a player because he took a bad decision? WOOOW! Here we play between friends and if a friend wanna shoot at mYy zone I will scream him most of the time "NOOOO!" while laughing but if he decides to shoot anyway and kills me: I will LAUGHT MUCH MORE! If you guys want to play this game very seriously or like betting money or anything ok: I would understand you follow the normal rule. But here we look for fun and you know what: WE HAVE FUN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
2) It's more REALISTIC than the official rule that would simpler had been written: "Forbidden"!
No, because it would have taken skills like low profile or steady hand away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
3) It's FUNNY! The discussion between the players like "can I try?" - "No!" or "Yes but only once" etc ...

i would never want to play at a table where it was considered fun, in a co-op game, to discuss whether it's "okay" to risk knocking those players out of the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
GGleize wrote:
3) It's FUNNY! The discussion between the players like "can I try?" - "No!" or "Yes but only once" etc ...

i would never want to play at a table where it was considered fun, in a co-op game, to discuss whether it's "okay" to risk knocking those players out of the rest of the game.
Really? But there's a lot tension and story in it. E.g., in Eldritch Horror, sacrificing an Investigator for the greater good is something we do quite often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Really? But there's a lot tension and story in it. E.g., in Eldritch Horror, sacrificing an Investigator for the greater good is something we do quite often!

i will readily sacrifice a character in Zombicide if it is strategically critical to winning the scenario. i won't, however, risk knocking another co-op player out of the game simply because i want to gain a few XPs. Eldritch Horror also doesn't have permanent player removal: the player can rejoin the game on the next turn with a new character. In Zombicide, a player with no characters is out for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Carbondale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, with the added condition of wide spread weapons such as shotguns hitting survivors on a 1 or 2. I still abide by the zombie priority order until I pick up the scope which lets me target my choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls