Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not being released yet. You can't possibly know if it's any good. And you backed it anyway, so it's motivated purely by self interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But maybe the Kickstarter game is the exact blend of theme and mechanisms that matches the person’s taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
But maybe the Kickstarter game is the exact blend of theme and mechanisms that matches the person’s taste.

That could well be what is promised, but you can't know until you've actually played it several times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
It's not being released yet. You can't possibly know if it's any good. And you backed it anyway, so it's motivated purely by self interest.

The Recommendations Forum is for “post requests for game recommendations, information, and make game suggestions here.”

Kickstarter recommendations seem to tic the boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the woods.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
A bunch of them put up print and play files as a part of the campaign. I've played a Kickstarter game several times that way before deciding whether or not to back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

That could well be what is promised, but you can't know until you've actually played it several times.
I can’t know that any game is a good fit for someone else regardless of how much I like it. A recommendation is simply a suggestion that you think will work for the other person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
And in most cases the person on the receiving end of the recommendation will understand that the game isn't released yet (or else they'll find out quickly when they try to get it), so they'll know to take any such recommendations with that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:

The Recommendations Forum is for “post requests for game recommendations, information, and make game suggestions here.”

The General Forum is for "General discussion about the gaming hobby" but Kickstarter hype still isn't allowed in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

FWIW in some cases you can be pretty confident, if it's a reprint of an existing game which you've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Damjon wrote:

The General Forum is for "General discussion about the gaming hobby" but Kickstarter hype still isn't allowed in there.

So? That’s a specific forum rule. No rules against Such posts in Recommendations unless otherwise stated by the Admins.

Have the Admins said thus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
lucky henry wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I can’t know that any game is a good fit for someone else regardless of how much I like it. A recommendation is simply a suggestion that you think will work for the other person.

True, but I still couldn't honestly recommend a game I have never played because it's not even published yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Man, I am so with you, but as expected, the Kickstarter devotees will be out en masse to shout you down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Man, I am so with you, but as expected, the Kickstarter devotees will be out en masse to shout you down.

Bah, I’m no fan-boy, but in the interests of full-disclosure, I have kick started.

If you can’t give recommendations for a game unless you’ve played it, the forum rules should say so. Though that situation would be a tad ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Indeed, I don't think you have to have played a game to recommend it. E.g. (to give a pretty obvious example) if someone says they are curious about these new-fangled "legacy games", and that they enjoy coops and have enjoyed playing Pandemic, it doesn't require personal experience with Pandemic Legacy for me to say "Hey, you should probably have a look at Pandemic Legacy, it's a popular well-regarded legacy game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:

So? That’s a specific forum rule. No rules against Such posts in Recommendations unless otherwise stated by the Admins.

Obviously not. Hence I'm suggesting that rule is extended. (There wouldn't be much point in making a thread about a policy already in place).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Indeed, I don't think you have to have played a game to recommend it. E.g. (to give a pretty obvious example) if someone says they are curious about these new-fangled "legacy games", and that they enjoy coops and have enjoyed playing Pandemic, it doesn't require personal experience with Pandemic Legacy for me to say "Hey, you should probably have a look at Pandemic Legacy, it's a popular well-regarded legacy game."
Or if someone who rated Patchwork highly was looking for recommendations for other two player games, I’d suggest Cottage Garden, despite having never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Damjon wrote:

Obviously not. Hence I'm suggesting that rule is extended. (There wouldn't be much point in making a thread about a policy already in place).

I assume you mean Kickstarters that are upcoming or current? I wonder why KSes in particular as opposed to "games not yet available for purchase". But then what about "out of print" games? should we ban recommending those too? "Available for immediate purchase" is not a requirement and no reason it should be.

This seems more ideological rather than a well-considered policy recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another user I have no further say in site changes:

I don't really think this is necessary. When someone does recommend a crowdfund it almost never gets any traction because it's generally not a good recommendation.

It also comes with the caveat: "There's a game coming out that sounds like it matches your requirements... I've never played it, but it could be with you at a minimum of 6 months time but probably way way longer". Um yeah thanks .

It sort of the same when folk recommend the same games regardless of what someone asks for or goes for a OOP or super rare game or seemingly ignores the recommendation request and just picks something at random. No thumbs, no +1, nothing - it just dies on the vine.

The other thing is such a recommendation needs to be careful of the Rules on promotion. Please flag direct crowdfund links or suspect repeated promotion of the same crowdfund in recommendations.

This said I'm also aware that once in a blue moon someone asks about cool zombie miniatures and someone replies X,Y or Z but also if you were interested and could wait there is this CMON crowdfunding game - link to the game's record on BGG. We as gamers do still want to talk about games, crowdfunded or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
If you can’t give recommendations for a game unless you’ve played it, the forum rules should say so. Though that situation would be a tad ridiculous.
Yeah! And while we are at it, you shouldn’t rate a game unless you have played it! More than once even!!
<<ducks to avoid flung game pieces>>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if banning kickstarter games from Recommendations was preferable...

...how would you do it?

Pete (sees a giant waste of moderator time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Creating rules that are technically and practically unenforceable is not only an exercise in futility, but it undermines the other rules that are actually important. So, this doesn't really seem like a very good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:
Or if someone who rated Patchwork highly was looking for recommendations for other two player games, I’d suggest Cottage Garden, despite having never played it.

And you'd be doing them a disservice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:

It does say Recommendations, it doesn't say Good Recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
chearns wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:

It does say Recommendations, it doesn't say Good Recommendations.
That would be a pretty quiet forum.

Pete (thinks you can probably rename that forum to "What's Your Favorite Game?")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
you can probably rename that forum to "What's Your Favorite Game?"

Yes, I stopped visiting it years ago as it really attracts the most ignorant users on this site in terms of knowledge of the breadth of games that exist. And, the users who do know something are routinely ignored as they aren't merely recommending whatever is currently hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.