7 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of questions from gamimg session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Tracy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolls to see how many horror hits a character takes because of an event. Can you spend a Grit to reroll that or not?

Badlands expedition card; Enemies get +1 damage to their attacks. If fighting a Tentacles that is 3 Combat 3 damage. If they hit 3 times and you fail to save all of them; is the damage 10, 3 per hit +1 for the attack or is it 12 damage 3+1 per hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Maury
Switzerland
Tavannes
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my opinion,

unless it is written you cannot use Grit to re-roll, you may spend Grit to re-roll anything you want.

About tentacles damages, I would say 10, cause it is specified "+1 to their attacks".

Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 damage to their attacks means EACH attack that hits is +1 damage.

So in the above example, that's 12 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Tracy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is you can only Grit rolls your hero makes. i.e attack, defense and skill checks. (there are two chart rolls you can grit) A roll to determine how many horror hits a hero takes would be a roll that the environment/game makes. I don't think you can grit those.

The +1 damage comes down to is each combat dice considered an attack or is the entire roll considered one attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From page 8 of the FAQ:

"Damage modifiers may only be applied on Damage to a model from a successful To Hit roll assigned to that model."

So damage bonuses are always applied to individual successful To Hit rolls and are never tacked on to the sum total of multiple To Hit Rolls. As previously stated, a Tentacle that rolls three To Hit rolls of six would do 12 damage ([3+1]+[3+1]+[3+1]+[3+1]=12), NOT 10 ([3+3+3]+1=10).

And at the end of the "Damage Modifiers" section it also says this:

"There is one exception to this restriction which is that
any Damage modifiers that are granted to ‘an Attack’ or ‘all
of your Attacks’ may be applied to any Damage you cause from
a Ranged Attack or Melee Attack (including Dynamite, a Dark
Stone Shiv, etc.; but not Splash Damage - see below)."

So when it says that all enemies get a +1 damage bonus to their "attacks", that just means that the damage bonus applies to both melee and ranged To Hit rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot grit the roll too see how many horror hits are coming at you. You can, however, spend a grit on the willpower save to try and prevent them from doing sanity damage.

And, as has been detailed above, it is +1 damage for each die that scored a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabastianBludd wrote:

So when it says that all enemies get a +1 damage bonus to their "attacks", that just means that the damage bonus applies to both melee and ranged To Hit rolls.
Also remember that - according to the FAQ p.12 - the term "Damage" is universal (whereas "Wounds" and "Sanity Damage" are not), meaning that "Void Enemies do +1 Damage" would give Hellbat Horror Hits (that resulted from their To-Hit rolls) +1 Sanity Damage against their target.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls