Subject: Playing with all expansions simultaneously rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

I´m kind of lazy when it come to game setups. I´ve seen there are several considerations when using the expansions (like Telly time show deck replacing the new base show deck).

What would be the problem with mixing everything and having one deck for shows (OTA+EXC+XEXC+TT)? At the end the game is about maximizing the available options drawn, just more randomness.

Thanks,

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think one of the main issues you'd have to watch for is getting some weird random ratios for the show genres drawn. If you add everything then you won't see every card and you will almost certainly get some games with some pretty unbalanced card draws and such ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a larger deck of show cards for each season group (1, 2-3, 4-5) would reduce the odds of all genres being available in roughly equal quantities. This could result in a player getting screwed out of genre bonuses compared to the other players. For example, if you're collecting sports shows, but those shows were shuffled to the bottom of the season 4-5 deck, you either won't see them at all, or the won't come out until season 5. The other players will have already benefited from their genre bonuses.

If you mixed all shows into a single deck, well that would likely break the game balance. Later season shows are more expensive and harder to play, and you'd really screw up the genre bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other posters are correct; shuffling everything together would screw up balance.

Here's what I wrote in another thread about the same subject:

Quote:
The Show decks are very delicate, with regard to Genre balance. If you just shuffle them together, you'll get weird edge cases like 5 Dramas in one season. It really messes with the Genre Bonuses, which is a critical part of the game, especially with the Executives expansion.

The 3 Show decks have very different Genre balances:

Base game - Everyone starts with 1 Sports and 1 Reality. There are fewer Sports and Reality in the deck than the other 3-4 Genres (depending on player count). You get a bonus for specialization.
Executives - All 5-6 Genres are evenly represented. Players choose what Genres they start the game with via the Pilot Season draft. Reality's average Viewer yield is slightly lower than those from the base game, and Sports' upkeep is more expensive. You get a bonus for specialization.
Telly Time - There are 9 Genres instead of 5, evenly represented. You get a bonus for diversification.

You can shuffle the On the Air Shows into the base game or Executives. I don't recommend doing that with Telly Time because it'll make some Genres more likely to come out than others in Seasons 4-5.

I hope this makes it clearer why I chose to go with different Show decks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls