Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused about reversing direction when moving, I'd really appreciate any help.

Lets just say that my ship is heading NORTH when my Travel & Scout Phase begins, and that I have no open sea cards to my North, East or West. I only have the open sea card to my south that I moved off of on my last turn to reach my current Map card. Am I able to travel SOUTH back onto that open sea with my very first move?

The rules that came with the game state that you may make your very first move to a Map card that is on the table "in the direction that you're traveling" and may then change direction (either left or right)once. The rules posted on Laughing Pans website state that you can move onto the "next map card on the board" and then change directions (left or right) once. The website rules also state that "You can NEVER reverse direction during one turn".

My concern is this. If, for some reason, you begin your Travel & Scout phase with no Map cards to the front, left, or right of your ship, and you have no Map cards in your hand to play, you are essentially stuck on your current Map card for the rest of the game (since the only way to get NEW map cards is to move, and since you can no longer move... you cannot get any new map cards), UNLESS you are lucky enough for an opponent to place a Map card next to your ship (which, knowing our game group, would never happen, my buddies would simply let me flounder in one spot).

I guess what I'm asking is...can your very first ship move during your Travel & Scout phase be in ANY of the four directions around your ship provided there are Map cards on all four sides or are you only allowed to move straight ahead, in the direction that your ship is facing and THEN turn left or right once from that direction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand what you are saying...
At the start of the move/scout phase you can move off in any valid direction (ie where there are sea/coast/port cards placed).
It does not matter which way your ship is 'facing'.

You can also, in this phase, do one change of direction (at right angles to the current direction you are moving in ... ie left or right).

So the restriction is that you must continue moving in the same direction throughout the phase, with the one change of direction allowed (but that 90deg change would not permit a reversal of direction)

Hope I am not confusing you any more!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help David,
So what you are saying is that players can "move off" in any one of the four directions around their ship (provided that there is a Map card in the chosen direction), it does NOT have to be straight ahead right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Corbin
United States
Unspecified
Georgia
flag msg tools
At the start of a players move and scout phase, they can move in any direction they want that has a valid map card. This may be one that the player puts down or one that already was part of the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I see your error
gpren wrote:
My concern is this. If, for some reason, you begin your Travel & Scout phase with no Map cards to the front, left, or right of your ship, and you have no Map cards in your hand to play, you are essentially stuck on your current Map card for the rest of the game

This is not the case. Your movement is restricted within the turn, not for the whole game. When you begin the Travel and Scout phase you can set off in ANY direction (in the example you give, South is your only option), regardless of the moves you made on your last turn.

Naturally, within this turn you must either keep moving South or, at some stage, make one turn to the left or right (East or West) and keep moving in that direction.

When the following turn comes you can, again, set off in any direction.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.