Subject: I'm leaving this forum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell you a secret: nobody knows how to read anybody as "good" or "evil". There's only two reads, "weird" and "not weird", and "weird" is generally conflated with "evil". This is a little tough on newbies since no one knows them.

That said- while discussing the state of the forum and werewolf strategy is very reasonable, please be careful not to speak about ongoing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
I'll tell you a secret: nobody knows how to read anybody as "good" or "evil". There's only two reads, "weird" and "not weird", and "weird" is generally conflated with "evil". This is a little tough on newbies since no one knows them.

Yeah, because all of you are vets from other forums that are now inactive. But you guys treat it as harassment. Which why I'm leaving. Learn how to treat newbies better and they'll be more likely to stay

That said- while discussing the state of the forum and werewolf strategy is very reasonable, please be careful not to speak about ongoing games.

Don't worry, your game might as well be my last

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there's the other points I made as well in my top post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why does this need to be an announcement? is this an incentive to get people to change play styles? part of werewolf is that everyone gets accused of being a werewolf at some time ... I would worry if there was a player that everyone trusted no matter what each game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's not about who you know. Enlightenment comes from within. The Dalai Lama texted me that.
Raven, I'm sorry you've had a rough time.
I don't know all the specifics, but I feel like we should reflect on this as a community and see how we can improve to be more welcoming for newcomers.
We can be a pretty intimidating group, from my perspective at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
why does this need to be an announcement? is this an incentive to get people to change play styles? part of werewolf is that everyone gets accused of being a werewolf at some time ... I would worry if there was a player that everyone trusted no matter what each game

Yeah but if I'm one who gets accused at every first lynch, then I feel like it's harassment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnad2006 wrote:
I don't know all the specifics, but I feel like we should reflect on this as a community and see how we can improve to be more welcoming for newcomers.

How about stopping with the whole entire "reads" thing? Because that is the thing that screws people over. Let alone that it could lead to bias in a few ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's not about who you know. Enlightenment comes from within. The Dalai Lama texted me that.
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:

How about stopping with the whole entire "reads" thing? Because that is the thing that screws people over. Let alone that it could lead to bias in a few ways.

I'm not sure I follow you here. Werewolf is a game based on giving opinions/reads of people and whether they are good or evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnad2006 wrote:
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:

I'm not sure I follow you here. Werewolf is a game based on giving opinions/reads of people and whether they are good or evil.

Yeah but by feeling or actual proof(like info)? Because players having a feeling that someone is good or bad promotes bias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:

Yeah but by feeling or actual proof(like info)? Because players having a feeling that someone is good or bad promotes bias

There is rarely solid proof in WW though. Especially on D1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t play werewolf but this type of bad blood / I’m leaving or I’m offended announcement happens fairly often in your crowd. Why is that?

I guess werewolves are sensitive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Because the game is about tricking each other and getting tricked and learning how to deal with that. It's kind of unpleasant more often than not. I'm, personally, not very good at it.. which is why I keep coming back here. So I can learn to cope with all the aspects of it better.

But yeah, lots of people don't like to do things that don't come easy to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap Pirate
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:

I'm sorry Raven, but that's how werewolf works. It is about reads, not proof. If you have a problem with that, then it might actually not be the best game for you.

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh. I do understand your frustration and I'm sorry that you feel that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
mb
Raven1207 wrote:
Because

A) You guys put so many post on there and then blame me for not posting anything after you guys go through 3 pages in under a minute

B) You guys always lynch me on the first lynch regardless if I claimed a role or not.

C) You guys always suspect me in every game because you are comparing me to a previous game that acted like such and such and that it must be he bad or whatever. I try to mix it up but apparently that's must be my worst pokerface then.

Hi Raven, I am sorry about your feelings and I understand them.
I speak as a distant satellite member of the werewolf community.
This game is prone to create lot of frustration, especially when played on a forum with mostly unknown people and without the typical facial/body language messages that tell you "hey, it is a game and we are having fun together". And I really feel sorry when I have to tell lies and falsely accuse other people.
The point is that the people are mostly unknown to me and, I suspect, to you. But the core community is quite close and there are accepted norms and codes difficult to understand (and the language barrier is also point for me).
And some of the members are very protective. Sometimes it looks, to an external player, that I am trying to penetrate a shell and I get bumped outside. Did I knock too hard?
This is a game I cannot play very often. But sometimes I come back, I have fun and get frustrated at the same time. I accept it and find it nice.

I am not giving any type of advice, but I admit I would b glad to play werewolf with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can investigate and trick people in the game, I know that. But piling votes on the same person who many games on the first lynch feels like I'm getting harassed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make newbies feel more welcomed in the game more and they'll be more willing to stay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys can't do that, then what is the reason of having new people join. Especially since most of are vets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And how about actually giving people time to get used to Cassandra. I was trying to retract my vote one game and it help when people said, "oh he still has his vote on such and such". That's the one thing I think some of the vets here need to learn. You make it we have to be experts at coding regardless if we've played 1 game or 10 games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day (she/her)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf, but I'm definitely wolfing
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven1207 wrote:
Make newbies feel more welcomed in the game more and they'll be more willing to stay.

We do have a rule in our Hi games that we won't vote a new person out on their first D1 (as you saw in Hi 204), but you can't be protected indefinitely. Being a Werewolf in your 2nd and 3rd games was rough for you, but the whole aim of the game is to find people who are Werewolves and kill them.

How would you suggest that we make newcomers feel more welcome? You were offered a mentor in the Hi game and didn't take one, and that's one method we use to help people get used to the game. You also jumped into more complex games quite quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven1207 wrote:
MunchWolf wrote:

Yeah but if I'm one who gets accused at every first lynch, then I feel like it's harassment

I haven't played with you, but do you know why you get accused at every first lynch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:

sounds like good special hunting to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:
Raven1207 wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:

sounds like good special hunting to me

You might not have, but there's R.A., Rahob or Rohab(forgot which one is correct) and a few others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
Claudinko wrote:

Hi Raven, I am sorry about your feelings and I understand them.
I speak as a distant satellite member of the werewolf community.
This game is prone to create lot of frustration, especially when played on a forum with mostly unknown people and without the typical facial/body language messages that tell you "hey, it is a game and we are having fun together". And I really feel sorry when I have to tell lies and falsely accuse other people.
I would note that for a person like me, who often has trouble reading facial and body language messages IRL, the forum format can be a good thing, because it brings everyone down to the same playing field. I don't necessarily play for the feelings of tricking or being tricked, but sometimes so that other people can go "whoa, that wasn't what I expected" and experience a little more of how I feel all the time.

Quote:
And some of the members are very protective. Sometimes it looks, to an external player, that I am trying to penetrate a shell and I get bumped outside. Did I knock too hard?
This is extremely true.

twomil: It's a fair bet that at any given moment my mind is swirling with interwoven thoughts about the state of the game (normally werewolf, sometimes a random game)/community meta/etc but it's hard for me to break them down into human-sized chunks. I don't want to talk over or distract from Raven's issues though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Mitchell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugs wrote:
Raven1207 wrote:

We do have a rule in our Hi games that we won't vote a new person out on their first D1 (as you saw in Hi 204), but you can't be protected indefinitely. Being a Werewolf in your 2nd and 3rd games was rough for you, but the whole aim of the game is to find people who are Werewolves and kill them.

I died early in the game and had almost 3 or 4 people voting against me because they I was worried about a mis-lynch

How would you suggest that we make newcomers feel more welcome? You were offered a mentor in the Hi game and didn't take one, and that's one method we use to help people get used to the game. You also jumped into more complex games quite quickly.

I think you got it wrong on the mentor thing. I was offered one and took it but I didn't get that much help from them. I apologise if I offended anyone but saying that. Also, the whole "difficult scale" is only based on how the mod thinks about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Raven1207 wrote:
And how about actually giving people time to get used to Cassandra. I was trying to retract my vote one game and it help when people said, "oh he still has his vote on such and such". That's the one thing I think some of the vets here need to learn. You make it we have to be experts at coding regardless if we've played 1 game or 10 games

Hi Raven, I apologize for my part in making you feel unwelcome. It was not my intention to make fun of you at all but I realized after the fact, especially after whirling pointed it out, that it could easily seem that way.

I'm not sure if you saw my post I made to you shortly after you were just lynched here:

Avin wrote:
whirlingdervish wrote:
Avin wrote:
LOL that Raven is still in line for a hotdog.

It's like his third serious game and everyone spent the last ten minutes yelling that he was evil, but sure, let's laugh at him for not moving?

Sorry, I'm not trying to make fun of you, Raven. You're not doing anything wrong for a new player. Keep asking questions and learning as you go!

I had just found the imagery amusing that there's a massive lynch mob rioting around you, but you're calmly standing there patiently waiting in line for your hotdog.

It was more of a mental image that I just thought made for a rather amusing scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |