Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiancee and I played a 2-player game of Betrayal yesterday evening. We each played 2 characters and played with the underground lake tile right side up in the stack (so we could see that it was a basement tile). We quickly set up the game and selected characters; she chose Heather Granville and Madam Zostra, while I chose Peter Akimoto and Father Rhinehardt. All four explorers entered the entrance hall, ready to start their adventure.

First turn:
The girls took the first turns, exploring a couple rooms with uneventful events. On Peter's turn, he walked through a door in the main hall and discovered a mYsTiC elevator, which immediately went into a free fall, crashing onto the basement floor. Only a sprained ankle, no bid deal; the elevator didn't kill him and now he had an entire floor to himself. When Father Rhinehardt's turn came, his flashlight flickered out and died (limiting his movement to one space). He now needed to find someone with some batteries, but Peter was unreachable and the girls would not want to wait around for him.

Early game:
Madam Zostra wandered upstairs, and both girls were discovering omens in every other room for a while. We started rolling for the haunt after the third omen, but the haunt did not start at this time. Peter had discovered the basement vault and had managed to get it open, finding a toy monkey and some dynamite. Rhinehardt wandered from room to room in darkness, getting farther and farther away from the others. He felt slightly smarter after gleaning some knowledge from the books in the library (by osmosis/diffusion I assume, since there was no light).

Mid game:
The girls were doing much better than the boys at this point. Both girls had several omens and boosted stats, while Peter had a few items and a little less than normal health, and Father Rhinehardt had received nothing but damage, the 'bite' omen, and some girl he rescued somehow. Rhinehardt walked through the gardens and into the graveyard, a dead end. I had given up hope of getting him a working flashlight, but the event in the grave yard was a mystic slide that took him down to were Peter was. Peter was glad to give him the extra batteries he carries on his person at all times. Meanwhile, Heather had accidentally discovered the coal chute, and came down to join the boys as a result. By this time, Peter had given himself (in the mirror) the toy monkey and Heather had found the same toy monkey just lying around in another room. With his flashlight working again, Rhinehardt found the secret stairs from the basement up to the foyer. Madam Zostra was rummaging around upstairs, and came across a peculiar spear, which, upon grabbing it, overcame her with some strange power and turned her into...

The Beastmaster!

The Haunt:
My fiancee kept Zostra and gave me Heather. Now it was 1 vs 3. We both read our scenario books and she placed her animal minions. Fortunately for her, she was upstairs, and the rest of us were downstairs or in the basement. We would have to get past her minions to get to her. A bear crawled in through a window in the main hall, a wolf came in through the front door, a hawk flew in through the balcony upstairs, a weasel came in through the gardens, and a crocodile surfaced in the underground lake. The boys were now sharing a room with the bear and crocodile, which I thought was maybe not good.

What ensued was carnage. Peter underestimated the crocodile's might and attacked it. He rolled very poorly for his attack (1), but the crocodile rolled surprisingly well (10), resulting in 9 damage. The result: Peter was quickly snapped in half by the crocodile and was mostly devoured. All that remained of his body was a small cardboard pentagon, labeled "item pile". Father Rhinehardt was hurt and could not move very far anyway, so he (and his girl) suffered an equally violent death by bear. Heather had decided to simply run past everything, but she didn't have enough speed to make it upstairs. On the traitor's turn, Heather was attacked by both wolf and weasel, but she had 5 might and managed to defend herself and slay both of them. Heather then ran past the bear, upstairs towards the Madam Beastmaster, the toy monkey chattering away, happily. The bear was too slow to catch up. When Heather caught the Beastmaster, my fiancee said "catfight!" and battle commenced. Since Heather was the attacker, Zostra didn't get the spear's benefit. After a flurry of slaps and scratches, Heather yanked the spear out of Madam Zostra's hands, dispelling the Beastmaster's power and returning Zostra to normal. The forces of Good have triumphed!

Epilogue:
We both had a good time playing it. Even though the game ran a little long (we found 11 out of the 13 omens), it didn't feel too long and she said she was just really getting into it. One thing we may do differently next time we play is roll the right number of dice for the haunt roll (we rolled 8 instead of 6, that's why the game ran long and we got 11 omens). It was actually a pretty close game. This is probably the most simple haunt I've seen and one of the most enjoyable, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a much more interesting Beastmaster scenario than what I had the first time I played it. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1349264 To me the scenarios are either hit or miss. Nice session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.