GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Just bought Runebound--disappointed with card quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shortman McLeod
Canada
flag msg tools

Well, this is a minor thing, but I just bought Runebound and I'm disappointed at the physical quality of the cards. They are slightly warped, and don't have that "glossy" protective coating that makes cards feel so nice and smooth. They feel like cheap, thin cardboard (and slightly warped, at that).

cry

I considered putting them all in protective sleeves, but who wants to spend the $$$ on a ton of protective sleeves? Plus I don't want my card stacks (especially the items deck) to reach up to the ceiling (as they would obviously get a lot taller if each card was sleeved).

Sorry for the micro-rant. Love the game otherwise.

Shortman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All FFG games have small or big quality issues as they are printed in China... shake

So don't expect nice durable cards. Only games printed in Germany come with quality cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards have held up pretty well without sleeves after a dozen or so plays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Quality is one of those weird bugaboos that has taken hold at the Geek. Just what kind of cards are people expecting? Super thick cardboard able to stop a bullet?

My Runebound cards have held up very well. And even if a few develop wear and tear, there's no major damage. I suppose if I took the time to go through the deck card by card, note any blemishes on the cards, then note the cards that had the blemishes, it could take some of the fun out of the game. But anyone who is going to this much trouble is probably a little anal retentive.

In the whole course of my gaming experiences I have had exactly one set of bad cards. Gloom's cards were sticky and peeling and unreadable. Other than that, every set of cards I've ever had held out far longer than my interest in the game itself. Heck, I still have an original set of Robo Rally cards that are over ten years old that are worn out and faded, but still playable.

So card quality? Is it really an issue? I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The cards are fine. They do what they're supposed to do and they look nice too. Don't worry about it and just play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Gloom's cards were sticky and peeling and unreadable

By the way, the new reprint of Gloom is excellent and they seemed to have solved all these problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AND I like theses cards better than many Hasbro-produced games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
GeoMan wrote:
All FFG games have small or big quality issues as they are printed in China... shake

So don't expect nice durable cards. Only games printed in Germany come with quality cards.

What nonsense. This romance over 'components from germany' is bizarre.

I hear that in Germany, the cards are so well made that they can not only cut through a lead pipe, but that also drive away the undead. Also, you can read them even if you're illiterate!

I'm totally on board, Skeletor. The way the Eurogamers carry on, you'd think Germany was the land of milk and honey. Yeesh, and they wonder why many of us consider them a bit pretentious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, games made in Germany allows one to instantly master the German language so now you can understand Rammstein, Einsturzende Neubauten, and Laibach lyrics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
My cards are fine. No 'coating' but they are pretty thick. Certainly better than the garbage I got in Modern Art.

I agree FFG's cards are fine. But compare their cards to anything made by Days of Wonder or Amigo, anything with that slick, durable linen finish. My Bohnanza cards have lasted through dozens of plays and even some beer and/or soda spills. OTOH, my Colossal Arena cards already have a number of nicks and a few feel a bit gummy. The thicker FFG cards don't shuffle as nicely, tend to warp more, and stick together sometimes.

So yes, they're fine, and perfectly acceptable. They're just not top of the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

I hear that in Germany, the cards are so well made that they can not only cut through a lead pipe, but that also drive away the undead. Also, you can read them even if you're illiterate!

I'm totally on board, Skeletor. The way the Eurogamers carry on, you'd think Germany was the land of milk and honey. Yeesh, and they wonder why many of us consider them a bit pretentious.

You mean, Chuck Norris produces such cards?

Sorry, had to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

It is not bizarre. We simply like to buy good quality (instead of just flash and quantity) for the money we pay.

Regarding the card quality:

1. Black bordered cards (a standard for FFG) wear out MUCH faster and are easier to mark.
2. Dark washed out colors because of the cheap China printing.
3. Mediocre quality cardboard used (the cards warp and are not easy to shuffle).
4. No coating so they will wear out much faster.

MrSkeletor wrote:
Certainly better than the garbage I got in Modern Art.

This garbage was wade in the US... Check the underside of your box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

2. Dark washed out colors because of the cheap China printing.

How can it be both dark and washed out?

Incidently, Runebound cards are generally played directly to the table, not held in the hand. If they were held a la bohnanza, it would be more of a problem. No, the cards are not as durable, but that hasn't been a problem for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Starcraft has better cards than Battlelore does (just to take their 2 most recent games as an example.)

Fair enough, Frank. I haven't seen either of these, but I own (or have owned) quite a few FFG and DoW games, and this is the first case I've heard of where a DoW game had inferior cards (witness Cleopatra, Shadows over Camelot, Pirate's Cove, TtR; all great cards). Or maybe Starcraft is the first iteration of a new card production process from FFG, which would be welcome news.

Now that I think of it, Hans im Gluck also uses the linen cards (my Attika set has survived probably 60 plays and is in nearly perfect shape). But Kosmos and Alea don't, just to point out that it isn't so much a German characteristic as a publisher's. But the one that bugs me the most is Mayfair: my Settlers cards almost immediately became smudgy and tattered, as the cards are getting passed around, curled in hands, etc., and they're just not up to the wear. And they don't even get shuffled!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shortman McLeod
Canada
flag msg tools
KingCroc wrote:

So card quality? Is it really an issue? I don't think so.

I agree it's not really a big issue (which is why I referred to my post as a "micro-rant" ). One thing bugs me, tho...these Runebound cards will be much harder to shuffle without the slick glossy coating.

Shortman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
I hear that in Germany, the cards are so well made that they can not only cut through a lead pipe, but that also drive away the undead.

But can they then still cut through a ripe tomato? I thought not.

I haven't gotten all *that* much play out of Runebound, but given that the cards aren't held in the hand or handled all *that* much, I haven't noticed a real problem with them. The art hardly looks washed out, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the cards in most FFG games better than cards in a lot of other games. Take Settlers, for example -- the cards are thin and they feel flimsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I find with FFG games, it is best to assume that part of your expense will be having all of the cards etched into slate blocks. Its a little harder to shuffle, but so much better than what they supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
GeoMan wrote:
It is not bizarre. We simply like to buy good quality (instead of just flash and quantity) for the money we pay.

Well if that helps you sleep at night after spending top dollar on a board and a few lousy generic meeples, you keep telling yourself that.

The point is that you don't have to pay top dollar for a German game and still you get top quality.

I prefer quality and meeples, others prefer miniatures and they don't care about quality components. People have different tastes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

The point is that you don't have to pay top dollar for a German game and still you get top quality.

I prefer quality and meeples, others prefer miniatures and they don't care about quality components. People have different tastes!

It's this kind of attitude that I find puzzling. It's almost like saying if a game has miniatures, it must automatically have poor quality and if it has meeples, it's somehow better quality. That's absurd.

This shouldn't be another Eurogamer versus Amerigamer debate. I do find it odd though how Eurogamers seem to think that their games are better on every single level. It's not enough anymore for them to say that Eurogames are "better games." They've even decided that the components are somehow signficantly better.

Blatherskite! What nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
It's this kind of attitude that I find puzzling.

It's not puzzling. He's just trolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
It's almost like saying if a game has miniatures, it must automatically have poor quality and if it has meeples, it's somehow better quality.

Hey, that's your saying! sauron

I only said that I (and only I) prefer meeples, so for me it is not a Eurogamers vs Ameritrash debate, and i certainly don't plan to start one as it is pointless!

The "others prefer miniatures and they don't care about quality components" was directed to MrSkeletor who always defends FFG like he owns shares in the company when someone posts about quality issues with their games.

But if you check the number of complaints about warping boards, cheap cards, e.t.c you will notice that most of them concern games that are made in China which is usually the case with US companies. Flames on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
So it is ok for you to always trash FFG components, but not for me to defend them? Bit hypocritical.

Of course you can defend them, who said otherwise? Someone else complained about the card quality and i said my opinion as you said yours.

When FFG decides to produce white-bordered cards and boards that lay flat my guess is that the complaints will stop. As was the case with RGG and ElGrande: it was printed in China with mediocre components, people complained and RGG reverted the printing to Germany.

But of course FFG is not RGG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
GeoMan wrote:
When FFG decides to produce white-bordered cards

Card boarders are a graphical design choice, and have nothing to do with where a game was printed.

Yes, i know. But although black-borders look cooler, they are much easier to wear out. And here's my argument: i prefer cards that don't wear out, instead of cards that look cool and will not last long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*reads with the voice of a Mickey Mouse*

Hey folks,

Whatever your preference, just remember not to lick the cards/meeples/minis! Brains are your biggest asset here in the land of opportunities and infinite GeekGold! Nobody wants to read/tip stories from brains softened by plumbism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.