Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Issues with vagabond rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elias Helfer
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard a lot of people say that the vagabond is overpowered. Tonight, I played with him for the first time, and I was not at all impressed. I scraped a victory by getting to ten points and joining a coalition, but I was barely a part of the game.

A few things happened:

Nobody crafted items. They were too busy with their own things, and, like someone said, why would they make stuff that mainly just helped me?

I was the tinker, but I couldn't hardly craft anything. I only got my second hammer in the last ruins I went to, and that meant I spent most of the game unable to craft much. I did get three bags, but I never had very many items.

Finally, I had one quest I could finish right away. After that, I didn't have the items for any of my quests, and only got the items for one on my last turn - but that was only to get me to ten so I could make a coalition.

What did I miss? What's so great about the vagabond?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
South Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're missing is more data. One game does not give complete, or even accurate, info and experience. Sounds like the other players played properly to counter a Vagabond, unless it was everyone's first game, then it was just luck. If the Woodland Alliance and Riverfolk are part of the game, crafting could happen more. The Eryie Dynasty are actively discouraged to craft unless they take the crafting leader, and it feels counter to what the Marquise need to do to win if they focus on Workshops.

The only advice I can offer is to play more, if this game hasn't turned you off. The Vagabond has the potential to be overpowered, if the other factions don't pay attention to them. But nearly all the factions have that same potential if ignored.

As for the Tinkerer, there are plenty of craftables (20 cards) that only require one hammer. After a bit, as the discard pile grows, you should be able to dig for items and abilities that can begin to help your power grow, even if no one else is crafting or not crafting what you need.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can score for aid without getting items in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Helfer
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with the base four. Some crafting took place, but not for items. I was the only one who'd played before, but not with the Vagabond in the game.

The others didn't really pay attention to me. I just wasn't a factor in the game. I spent most of the game trying to get the ruin items, found the hammer last, and then in my last turn crafted a second sword. Before then, there had been almost no one-hammer crafting, apart from bags - I had three bags at the end. It is possible that I didn't pay enough attention to the discard in the beginning, but I did look through it a couple of times before we reshuffled.

One thing I didn't do was get into fights. I guess if I'd picked an enemy and started fighting - maybe getting to ally with someone else, I could have made since points that way. But having only one sword, that seemed weak.

I did aid a couple of times, but it just felt like giving a random player cards. I suppose I could have done more of that?

One thing that really frustrated me was that I only got to finish one quest. The others I just didn't have the items to complete. Which meant I had no way of getting rid of them and replacing them with other quests I could do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davies
United Kingdom
Haddenham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakenhawk wrote:

As for the Tinkerer, there are plenty of craftables (20 cards) that only require one hammer. After a bit, as the discard pile grows, you should be able to dig for items and abilities that can begin to help your power grow, even if no one else is crafting or not crafting what you need.

Good luck

I had the same situation last night, but did exactly this and crafted a bunch of stuff quickly, and ended up only losing by a few points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are currently 6 versions of the Vagabond, 3 with the core set and 3 with the expansion. I imagine they play quite differently but you do need to play to their strengths. There is also a fair bit of role-playing involved in Root. I have played the Ranger twice and certainly in my first game I was sorely tempted to whip out my crossbow on my first turn and shoot a bolt into the evil cat warrior's chest! Fortunately sanity prevailed. The main ways in which the Vagabond scores victory points is firstly through providing aid (which can be done without items as Scott says) but needs increasing numbers of same suit cards to progress along the track. The second way is by turning hostile and reaping VPs for killing hostile warriors in battle and double VPs for hostile tokens. Now the Tinker is just that - she tinkers around the periphery of the clearings picking up discards. Her great strength is her ability to rifle through the discard deck not only for craftable items but also for matching suit cards to help her aid efforts. If she becomes allied she can then lead that faction's troops without permission and use their strength to attack (without swords of her own). The Tinker is thought to be one of the strongest of the Vagabonds but it does take experience to play her effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
If you manage to allied with someone, a 4 card aid to him is 8 Points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.