Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Voting for the contest is easy in the GDCR and uses the same basic procedure as voting in polls.

All contest voting pages are linked from the Contest page in the GDCR. (You can get to the contest page by clicking the link from the Contest Thread on BGG or by clicking on Contest in the GDCR header and then clicking on the contest that you'd like to vote in.) The available categories to vote in will be listed immediately underneath the contest info table.

You do not need to vote in each category all at once. (Each category is independent of the others.) You can easily see which categories you have already voted in from the list on the contest page. Once you vote in a category, the table will be updated with most recent date that you voted.

If the contest has a minimum participation requirement, you will be asked to verify that you met it before voting in each poll. This is typically the only required question on most voting pages.

The question is marked as required by the red asterisk.

Voting for most categories is done by rating the game on a scale of 1 to 10. (Categories with fewer games may be rated on a 1 to 5 scale.) In either case, 1 is worst and the high number (either 5 or 10) is best. You may give multiple games the same rating. (This is very similar to how you rate games on BGG.) To be clear, you are not ranking games as 1st place, 2nd place, and on down to 10th place. You are giving each game that you vote for a rating with 1 being worst and the high number (usually 10) being best.

Category votes are independent from each other. You should vote for each game as you feel it rates it the particular category. For example, you could give a game a 9 in a mechanical category and a 6 in artwork.

An example of voting on a 1 to 10 scale.

An example of voting on a 1 to 5 scale.

Due to limitations with HTML, you cannot "unselect" a vote you've made. If you accidentally click on a game that you didn't mean to vote for, just click on NA. All votes for NA are ignored. An NA vote is the same thing as not voting for a game at all. (In fact, if you come back to edit your vote later, you will see your NA votes have been cleared.)

As with regular polls, you may edit your votes as often as you'd like (until the voting closes). You can click on the "edit" link from the vote confirmation page or just click on a poll from the contest page. To edit your vote, just submit new results and your previous votes will be overwritten.

One final note is that if the contest used volunteer playtesters, they will be able to see a special category that is only accessible for them. This category will not be visible or accessible to non-volunteer playtesters.

Thank you for voting for the games in the contest! Please contact me with any questions or problems that come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Chris,

Thanks for all your hard work with the GDCR!

With voting I am a little confused as to whether we are rating or ranking the games. Rating = relative to other games, may give several different games the same value. Ranking = give one game a 10, one a nine, etc, no repeats. Your instructions use both words.

If rating, which I suspect is the case, voters should know if their votes will have more influence if they use the full range of 1 to 10, compared to voters who only use 4 to 8 or something. Can you comment on this?

Also, the GDCR already knows how many games we have commented on, so why ask again? And why allow us to vote on games we haven't tried? The GDCR knows which ones we have played or read the rules of. I guess you are allowing for voters who haven't logged their plays...?

Thanks!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
With voting I am a little confused as to whether we are rating or ranking the games. Rating = relative to other games, may give several different games the same value. Ranking = give one game a 10, one a nine, etc, no repeats. Your instructions use both words.

If rating, which I suspect is the case, voters should know if their votes will have more influence if they use the full range of 1 to 10, compared to voters who only use 4 to 8 or something. Can you comment on this?
Definitely rating - similar to how you rate games on BGG. For example, you can vote for multiple games with a score of 9.

Sorry, I didn't realize I had used both terms. I will clean that wording up this afternoon.

JohnKean wrote:
Also, the GDCR already knows how many games we have commented on, so why ask again? And why allow us to vote on games we haven't tried? The GDCR knows which ones we have played or read the rules of. I guess you are allowing for voters who haven't logged their plays...?

You got it. No one was required to log their plays in the GDCR so I did not want to limit it.

I would like to tie voting to plays (to avoid asking for confirmation again) in the future, but I ran out of time this year. Large projects at work threw me off my schedule a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the wording to get rid of all references to "ranking".

I also added a sentence explaining that multiple games can have the same rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotrek Chojnowski
msg tools
Chris, are we expected to also rate our own games? Or should we select N/A? Since it's late and I don't want to miss the deadline I will try to add rating for my own games (just not sure how unbiased it will be...). If it's not needed, then treat them like N/A. Sorry if that was explained somewhere already. And thanks again for organizing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piotreksf wrote:
Chris, are we expected to also rate our own games? Or should we select N/A? Since it's late and I don't want to miss the deadline I will try to add rating for my own games (just not sure how unbiased it will be...). If it's not needed, then treat them like N/A. Sorry if that was explained somewhere already. And thanks again for organizing!
You are welcome to rate you own game. Just try to rate it honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some clarifying notes that I provided for the 2019 Mint Tin Contest:

Important: You are giving each game that you would like to vote for a rating, similar to the BGG rating. This is done a scale of 1 - 10.
A rating of 1 would indicate that the game was a failure in its particular category.
A rating of 10 is for games that excelled in the category.

You are not required to rate each game.

The votes in each category are independent of each other. Please rate each game according to the category it is entered in. For example, you could rate a game a 6 on Best Use of Theme but rate it a 9 for Best Rulebook.

If you feel that multiple games have earned the same rating, that is totally fine. For example, you may give multiple games a rating of 10 (or any other number).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Er... I don't see the link for the page in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Voting for the 9 Card Contest ended yesterday. The link only shows on the page when voting is open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
ex1st wrote:
Voting for the 9 Card Contest ended yesterday. The link only shows on the page when voting is open.
Yeah, sorry I missed it. I actually meant on this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls