GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: my houserules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Pasquinelli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Experience points and movement.
I use this simple houserule to reduce the randomness of movements:
You need blue and red glass beans (or similar things) for this variant.
When you defeat an enemy (not player), you receive an amount of glass beans equal to his strenght/craft instead of his card (red beans for strength and blue ones for craft).
Glass beans are considered experience points that a player can use in 2 ways during the game:

1) you can use them to level up your strength/craft exchanging 5 red beans for a strength point or 7 beans for a craft point.

2) you can discard 1 or more experience point to modify the outcome of the die during the movement phase.
Every bean you use adds or subtracts 1 to the result of the die. So, if you roll a 3 but you desperately need to move only one space, you can use 2 Blue/red beans and move by 1. If you roll a 4 when you need a 5 you discard 1 bean and so on. The only limitation is that you must move at least 1 and not more than 6 spaces.

Bloody battles
Another houserule i like to use is to let the player decide to continue or leave the battle: when you encounter an enemy and you are defeated, normally your turn ends and the next turn you move on. Whit this variant you can decide to continue and try to kill the enemy without ending your turn. Naturally every try and fall you lose a life.

Loyal Followers
You can decide to discard one of yours followers instead losing 1 life. Think as the follower uses his body to shield you and dies (…how brave, what a tragedy! cryRest in peace my friend.)

Masters

I also own Return of the heroes and i always liked the idea of spending money training with masters, so I incorporated this idea in Talisman. You need to make 2 new cards representing a sword master and a wizard school. These cards come in game automatically after drawing a certain number of adventure cards. I usually place the sword master face up in the adventure deck after the 15th card and the wizard school after the 20th card. These 2 cards are not drawn, instead they are placed on board when revealed after picking up an adventure card and then remain in play until the end. The player can chose to visit the sword master in the city or the school in the village and pay to try level up his character once per visit.

SWORD MASTER: (place this card in the City). If you visit the master pay 1G and roll 1D6: if the result is equal or higher than your strength you gain +1 strength.

WIZARD SCHOOL: (place this card in the village). If you visit the school pay 2 G and roll 1D6: if the result is equal or higher than your craft you gain +1 craft.

Time limit and final boss
I use this variant to reduce the playing time and force the players to move early toward the centre.
You need to make a new card and a turn track. There is a giant dragon (that i’ll call Mimring) that is the guardian of the command crown. The player that defeats the dragon obtains the crown and wins the game. You set a certain number of turns (50 works fine for me) and if no one reaches the centre of the board after time’s up, the sleeping dragon awakes and use the command crown against all players every turn until he’s defeated or all players dies (more details later). Mimring has 4 life and the player must continue to combat until “there will be only one!”

MIMRING:
LIFE 4
STRENGTH 12
CRAFT 10
The player choose strength or craft to attack.
Mimring strikes 2 attacks. Resolve first the normal attack (with strength or craft) then (if you survived) roll 1D6 for his special attack that can’t be evaded and apply the following instructions:
1-nothing happened. Mimring seems uncertain.
2-Tail strike: he smash and kills one of your followers (if there aren’t nothing happens).
3-Fire breath: if you have a shield try to defend otherwise lose immediately 1 life.
4-Mimring regenerates 1 of his life points (max 4).
5-Air blast: shaking his wings Mimrig fly you to the ground. You lose 1 object (if you have none nothing Happens).
6-Magic: Mimring launches a spell (yes, he can talk! surprise ). Draw a spell card and, if possible, use it immediately against you or in favour of the dragon (if it can’t be played nothing happens).

I tried several times these variants and they works fairly well for my tastes, but I’d like to know your thoughts and all comments are welcomes (and sorry for my bad English blush ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These sound really good, especially the Sword and Wizard schools. I also like the final boss concept; it's a lot more exciting to worry about waking up a powerful dragon than only having to worry about your fellow players! Also, I have several fun dragon miniatures from HeroScape I could use for this when he wakes up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pasquy wrote:

Bloody battles
Another houserule i like to use is to let the player decide to continue or leave the battle: when you encounter an enemy and you are defeated, normally your turn ends and the next turn you move on. Whit this variant you can decide to continue and try to kill the enemy without ending your turn. Naturally every try and fall you lose a life.

Loyal Followers
You can decide to discard one of yours followers instead losing 1 life. Think as the follower uses his body to shield you and dies (…how brave, what a tragedy! cryRest in peace my friend.)

We play with this rule regarding the followers. The Bloody Battle variant sounds like a good one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Melnyk
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please clarify two things about the boss dragon.

1. In what order does he attack the heroes.
2. Does he attack one hero until that battle is resolved or does he attack ALL the heroes one at a time. If so, who gets credit for killing the dragon with the fourth blow and gets the crown to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pasquinelli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After awakening the dragon attacks all players at the same time at end of every turn . Throw the die and if you obtain 4, 5 or 6 all characters lose 1 life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say that I really like you Dragon Variant but I am just wondering what happens if a player reaches the Crown of Command before the time limit is up? Do they sneak past the sleeping dragon or does the Dragon awaken and the player must fight it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pasquinelli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
players must fight the dragon in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, question number 2:

If a player fights the Dragon and is defeated, does he begin to use the Crown on the other players or must the turn limit still expire.

Also, have you thought about adding some movement rules for your dragon, it might be fun to have him running around the board after the turn limit is up rather than simply casting command spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pasquinelli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the dragon reains awake. I don't want add movement rules to the dragon but you can play as you prefere since those are my houserules, not yours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.