Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry McVicker
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone ever attempted to play NIE battles using the Battle Cry system and components? There's not a whole lot of difference between Napoleonic and Civil War Battles except for shorter gun range. The cannons and calvary are almost identical. Perhaps shorten the range of infantry and have something like 4,2,1 dice. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:NIE
Blackwind (#36203),

Actually, I have thought about the same thing but I'm still doing the research. Several changes would have to be made. The Austrians or Prussians (sorry I can't remember who) conducted a test and found that a 500 man battalion could only hit a cloth target 6 feet high and 500 feet long(!) 60% of the time at 75 yards, 40% at 150 yards and 25% at 225 yards. And the cloth target wasn't charging or shooting back. I assume accuracy would be reduced further under the pressure of combat. Thus firepower (dice quantity and maybe symbols)would have to be adjusted to reflect these probabilities.

There was a significant difference in the use of cavalry because the effective range of ACW rifled muskets was about 3X that of smooth bore muskets. This also affected infantry tactics as well. In the Napoleonic era at 75 yards the defender would get off one volley or maybe two if British before a charging infantry column would be on them with the bayonet. You would need rules for forming a square and attack columns. The Cavalry rules in BC feel more Napoleonic than ACW as published.

I'd entertain more thoughts, too. Great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus (#36207),

Yes - good conclusion. But losses are caused more by stragglers -not kills. No need to hit the cloth target with all the bullets. Your figures makes sense. 60% dead or wounded, and you will end up with 40% stragglers. Morale is the key.

In start of Civil War they used Nap. tactics. With more effective rifles at close range it was very bloody. Later the tactics was changed - ending up with trenches.

Cavalry was very effective in Nap. tactic - but useless in CW.

Suggest you compare combat tables in ACW and NBS series (The Gamers). Both are brigade level with same mechanism.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/theGamers/archive/index.ht...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker (#36213),

Don't diss my hero of Gettysburg, John Buford and his Union 1st Cavalry division.(I'm smiling). I wouldn't say Cav was completely useless in the ACW. It just wasn't decisive against infantry. Certainly a Napoleonic style charge against good order infantry was suicidal, so tactics changed. Cavalry, in general, only used horses for transport and fought dismounted in skirmish formation to harass and delay enemy infantry until their own infantry came up to solidify the line. Exceptions occured when Cavalry met cavalry as at Brandy Station and the minor battle between Stuart and Custers men while Pickett was assaulting the Union center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus (#36207),
The Cavalry rules in BC feel more Napoleonic than ACW as published.

I fully agree. The ACW cavalry was used more for scouting and usually fought dismounted. BC is already set up the shock style and cavalry skirmishers of the Napoleonic Wars. Yes, rules for facing and square formation probably need to be added for Napoleonics. Perhaps rather than rules, have cards that allow for reaction to cavalry by squaring an infantry and reducing the attack values. Horse artillery would be a nice addition as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#36238),

I am far more knowledgeable about the ACW and WW II than I am the The Nappyonic era. I have been playing napgames and reading a lot about it as of late. Horse Artillery seems to have been more common than in the ACW. Very nice idea, the cards. A lot less clunky than rearranging the figures or having formation markers. I have a huge number of those from Columbia's Eagles:Waterloo, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackwind (#36203),

A better option than Battle Cry would be Vive L'Empereur, I'd think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.