22 Posts

Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What to do as Vagabond if nobody is crafting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Loki
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find myself always picking the Tinker because people are always afraid to craft when the Vagabond is in the game.

It's also helpful having three hammers and being able to play favor cards, and also dig out ambush cards later in the game.

That said, do people have much success playing as say the Ranger or Arbiter? What do you do if people refuse to craft items?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCLondon wrote:
I find myself always picking the Tinker because people are always afraid to craft when the Vagabond is in the game.

It's also helpful having three hammers and being able to play favor cards, and also dig out ambush cards later in the game.

That said, do people have much success playing as say the Ranger or Arbiter? What do you do if people refuse to craft items?

Threaten to hit people unless they craft for you? Individually, crafting is good for them since they get VP and a card back, and the vagabond is more likely to help them out to keep them crafting. All you need is one defector and you'll be alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCLondon wrote:

You aren't doing well enough by pursuing your quest cards?

I find that's how Vagabonds win more often than not. Excavate the ruins, go on quests, win because hardly anyone wants to take the effort to attack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
From the dark depths of the ancient ocean, a kindly cetacean spirit with a penchant for board games and dumb made up bios
badge
I like themes. I like stories. I like plastic. I like brutal co-ops. I am kickstarter's whipping boy. Come game with me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if they are giving up the VPs they'll get from crafting, you should have a great time running up your quests.

And you can still get extra VPs from aiding other factions (don't need to wait for an item in return; giving away 1 card for 1VP is still a great exchange!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Loki
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
MCLondon wrote:

You aren't doing well enough by pursuing your quest cards?

I find that's how Vagabonds win more often than not. Excavate the ruins, go on quests, win because hardly anyone wants to take the effort to attack you.

You need items to do quests. If you have no items you can't really rack up quests
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinkerer is imho the strongest Vagabond because of the starting hammer. But if the others aren't crafting, you still have a couple of viable strategies.

Explore Ruins, search for Hammer, craft items yourself.

Give people cards for points, even if no crafted items are available. Good especially if you have the Thief -- steal a card then give it back! A faction that's struggling for cards might even start crafting to get you to aid them instead of another.

Make deals! Threaten to attack them if they won't craft. Offer the Eyrie a card of the suit they need for their decree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Tinkerer is imho the strongest Vagabond because of the starting hammer.

That'll depend on your group. Nobody will take the Tinkerer in my group, because we KNOW he'll be hammered mercilessly while he can't strike back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Loki
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Tinkerer is imho the strongest Vagabond because of the starting hammer. But if the others aren't crafting, you still have a couple of viable strategies.

Give people cards for points, even if no crafted items are available. Good especially if you have the Thief -- steal a card then give it back! A faction that's struggling for cards might even start crafting to get you to aid them instead of another.

Make deals! Threaten to attack them if they won't craft. Offer the Eyrie a card of the suit they need for their decree.

In all honesty I don't think people have enough incentive to craft items. They're often better off crafting effects or using the cards for other things. Bringing the vagabond into the mix just incentivises them to craft even less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Minsinger
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
In all honesty I don't think people have enough incentive to craft items. They're often better off crafting effects or using the cards for other things. Bringing the vagabond into the mix just incentivises them to craft even less.

I don't know about that; I've seen several games clinched with a couple of VP from crafting; the +3 VP cards end the game a turn early.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
"there are many ways you can pay your rent, but that’s not really who you are, and the rest of the time you can polish a little part of your mind until it’s bright enough for someone else to notice." - Jerry Holkins
mbmbmbmbmb
MCLondon wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

take a lesson from the Cave in Vast: support the weak against the strong. sometimes you'll want a stronger vagabond just because the players who were starving him may feel compelled to deal with him (and thereby spend less actions dealing with you). it can be a fine line, these forest politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
In my second game of Root, I played Woodland Alliance and was hemmed in by the Marquise and Eyrie (Cat would periodically attack my sympathy, and Bird just avoided my sympathetic clearings and stacked three warriors to block my expansion). I turned to the Ranger-Vagabond and crafted whenever I had a card that wasn't useful for spreading sympathy or creating a base. That gave me VPs and incentivized the Vagabond to help me.

Of course, that also led to a Vagabond with a lot of items and high scoring potential! The cat and bird players were warned that WA and Vagabond both had explosive VP growth, but they still overlooked the "drunk hobo". Despite starting as Ranger, he spent the early game questing and exploring ruins (the player did decry his lack of a hammer!) and only went on the offense toward the end game, scoring points by killing cats. He ended his turn at 29 points and was only prevented from winning because there were no more swords left for him to craft.

WA ended up winning the game, but it was a close match, with Vagabond, Cat, and WA all within a single turn of victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Loki
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wminsing wrote:
Quote:

I don't know about that; I've seen several games clinched with a couple of VP from crafting; the +3 VP cards end the game a turn early.

-Will

Sorry I was referring to crafting items in the early game. Late game it's not really an issue as the vagabond won't get much/any use from these items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
From my experience playing both as and against the Vagabond, having the other players refuse to craft basically reduces him to an average faction. The items from the Ruins will inevitably include at least one sword or hammer. So even without helpful crafting by others he will be able to either fight or craft if not both. From there, the combination of points for giving cards and points from finishing quests make a tenable strategy. When the other players lose their minds and make a bunch of craft items early, the Vagabond is pretty overpowering.

One tactic I had some success with was showing the Eyrie that I had bird cards to give. I then handed him a craft card to score a diplomatic point, then made a real diplomatic point by telling him I would give him a bird for his tableau but only when buying the crafted item. The Eyrie is susceptible to this sort of bribery because wildcards are so much more important to him then any other faction. Having more than four or five orders which must be executed sequentially each in a specific clearing type is incredibly hard to keep up for more than a turn or two. The next most likely taker for bird card bribes is the Marquise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Loki
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TerrapinStation wrote:
From my experience playing both as and against the Vagabond, having the other players refuse to craft basically reduces him to an average faction. The items from the Ruins will inevitably include at least one sword or hammer. So even without helpful crafting by others he will be able to either fight or craft if not both. From there, the combination of points for giving cards and points from finishing quests make a tenable strategy. When the other players lose their minds and make a bunch of craft items early, the Vagabond is pretty overpowering.

One tactic I had some success with was showing the Eyrie that I had bird cards to give. I then handed him a craft card to score a diplomatic point, then made a real diplomatic point by telling him I would give him a bird for his tableau but only when buying the crafted item. The Eyrie is susceptible to this sort of bribery because wildcards are so much more important to him then any other faction. Having more than four or five orders which must be executed sequentially each in a specific clearing type is incredibly hard to keep up for more than a turn or two. The next most likely taker for bird card bribes is the Marquise.

On the other, the birds hate crafting (only 1 vp) and the cats are terrible crafters (need workshops at the expense of saw mills and recruiters).

I think the strongest crafters are probably WA and River Folk company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kielly
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is partly down to the meta on the table. There's room for negotiation and deal-making in this game. As the Vagabond you have to give increasing numbers of cards away in order to get the items - all the other players would appreciate getting a three card buff as much as you would like to get an additional item. A canny player might even go after specific items the Vagabond wants in order to draw that co-operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
sunwukung wrote:
I think this is partly down to the meta on the table. There's room for negotiation and deal-making in this game. As the Vagabond you have to give increasing numbers of cards away in order to get the items - all the other players would appreciate getting a three card buff as much as you would like to get an additional item. A canny player might even go after specific items the Vagabond wants in order to draw that co-operation.

The Vagabond only ever needs to Aid with one card to get an item from another player. They only need to Aid multiple times with multiple cards to increase their standing on the Relationship track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Marcus' point was that players may hold back valuable items until they are up in the 3 card range.

I would hold them right up until the endgame frankly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
I think Marcus' point was that players may hold back valuable items until they are up in the 3 card range.

There's no such thing as 'the 3 card range.' One Aid with one card gets one item, always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...but it doesn't always get VP. Thus, the "three card range."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Talonz wrote:

There's no such thing as 'the 3 card range.' One Aid with one card gets one item, always.

If there is an item crafted....our point is that players may withhold crafting certain items until a substantial aid effort has been made, either as part of a negotiation or not. What that range is for players may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My daughter played vagabond today. She won by doing Quests. And once you start getting quests of the same animal type the VPs accumulate, it was close but she won with this strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that quests and hostility are the obvious alternative. Especially vulnerable are Woodland Alliance and Marquis de Cat that tend to have to leave their buildings and resources weakly defended to achieve their objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.