Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Abrahamse
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
I emailed the following 2 questions to Hangman and promptly got replies:

- The rules specify that "A road may be built in any region, however, it may not be built between two Sites that are both located in unconquered Regions." Since most Sites are on the border between multiple regions, when is a site in an unconquered region? Is it when any region touching the site is unconquered? Or only if all regions touching the Site are unconquered?

The designer replies:

Pretty much anywhere the rules say "in a conquered region," you should read "in contact with a conquered region." Therefore, a road may not be built between two sites, neither of which are in contact with a conquered region.

- The sun card "Popular Support" states that it "immediately" provides extra labor. Does this occur only in the Sun phase it is initially revealed, or during every Sun phase in the turn when it is face up?

The designer replies:

All Sun event cards are active during every Sun Phase. Therefore, Popular Support provides labor tokens every Sun Phase in which it is on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:questions answered
pabraham (#36225),
The designer replies:

Pretty much anywhere the rules say "in a conquered region," you should read "in contact with a conquered region." Therefore, a road may not be built between two sites, neither of which are in contact with a conquered region.

Aaaahhhhhh! I think I finally understand. For some reason the fundamental road rules just had me flummoxed. I think I see it now. Correct me if I'm wrong:

A legal road connects 2 sites, one of which must be either fully within a conquered region, or on the border of a conquered region.

Examples (Legal?):
- a road is built along the border of several unconquered regions, but also bordering conquered regions along the entire stretch of road

- a road built across an unconquered region surrounded entirely by conquered regions from one border site to another border site on the other side.

- same as above, but now built from one border to the center of the unconquered region, and a 2nd road built from the opposite border to the center.

Lastly, it is my assumption that all of the roads in the above examples are destroyed by the "Rural Unrest" card. Is that correct, or are the roads in the first example safe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Heintzelman
United States
Setauket
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robmderrick (#39650),

Your understanding agrees with mine.

As for the road along the border, the answer is that it depends on whether the road is actually in the conquered or unconquered region. There is text in the rules to the effect that all roads are actually in one region or another, and if you look closely at the map you will see that that is the case. I don't think that going to a site that borders unconquered territory subjects you to the Rural Unrest card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
threlicus (#39663),
Your understanding agrees with mine.

As for the road along the border, the answer is that it depends on whether the road is actually in the conquered or unconquered region. There is text in the rules to the effect that all roads are actually in one region or another, and if you look closely at the map you will see that that is the case. I don't think that going to a site that borders unconquered territory subjects you to the Rural Unrest card.

I need to go back and read it again. I thought I remember something to the effect that whatever side of the border the border site looks like it is on, it is considered for game purposes to be located in both regions. Therefore a road leading up to a border site but originating in a conquered site is safe, but one whose endpoints are both on the border are considered to be in both regions. So my question was, for the Unrest card, which region takes precedence? Of course, if it is a one side or the other issue, my question is moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Manuel
Germany
Dusseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
Another question.

I can legally build a road from a black dot (settlement) on the border of a conquered region into an unconquered region. However if I continue heading in this direction can I build a road from a settlement in this unconquered region into another conquered region (conquered by an opponent)which is not connected to my road system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Ernstein
United States
Valparaiso
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
GaffaUK (#76617),
Yes you can. As long as one of the endpoints touches conquered territory, the road may be built. Remember, once a territory is conquered, everyone owns it. There is no record of who conquered the region, only who builds roads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.