Subject: Great game mechanic, awful theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Smith
New Zealand
Porirua
Wellington
flag msg tools
I have been following the development of this awhile. It has just been launched on Kickstarter.

I love the game mechanic and Art Deco styling. However, why, oh why, did they have to use the hackneyed theme of a dystopian future and stereotypes of European nationalities for the CEOs of the power companies. They could have celebrated the skill and bravery of the Italian tunnelers who did so much to develop the Italian hydroelectric system and then spread around the world to help other countries develop their hydroelectric systems, including in my own country - New Zealand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Australia. Notably the Snowy Mountains hydroelectric scheme. (The chief engineer was a NZer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno.. I like the theme. I like to play games about other worlds. I don't want a simulation or historical theme for a game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like the theme too. I was mostly just talking about Italians (and many other Europeans) working on the Snowy Hydro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll end up like Lords of Waterdeep for me.
You recruit adventurers like clerics, ... orange, purple,... cubes to fulfill contracts, I mean quests or whatever it says on the card.

I don't think the dystopian theme shines through much, so you can present it as a game about hydroelectric power companies competing to build dams, tunnels and powerhouses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luigi 'bove' de feo
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srsmith93 wrote:
I have been following the development of this awhile. It has just been launched on Kickstarter.

I love the game mechanic and Art Deco styling. However, why, oh why, did they have to use the hackneyed theme of a dystopian future and stereotypes of European nationalities for the CEOs of the power companies. They could have celebrated the skill and bravery of the Italian tunnelers who did so much to develop the Italian hydroelectric system and then spread around the world to help other countries develop their hydroelectric systems, including in New Zealand.

About the theme.
The game is developed from an architect that worked for building dam society.
So Tommaso start from this point to get up this point along with Simone.

About NZ and Australian dammers... Personally I don't have idea!
I'm gonna talk to them and I'll understand more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were going to complain about the hydro electric part of the theme, and I FLEW over here to defend it, because I think that's one of the best themes I've seen in a long time. The dystopian part seems ignore-able

Glad you don't object to water projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the electric-punk aesthetic. I’ve never seen the Great Gatsby/Roaring 20s style mixed with Sci Fi. I dig it.

If anything, I wish they leaned into it more. Give me organized crime rings that are running bootleg energy. Gold and champagne every where with the seedy underbelly of industrial capitalism lurking underneath the Art Deco facade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
I prefer the electric-punk aesthetic. I’ve never seen the Great Gatsby/Roaring 20s style mixed with Sci Fi. I dig it.

If anything, I wish they leaned into it more. Give me organized crime rings that are running bootleg energy. Gold and champagne every where with the seedy underbelly of industrial capitalism lurking underneath the Art Deco facade.

Awesome devil thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just here for the Dam tour...are we allowed to take all the Dam photos we want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Potgiesser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Arent there enough games in the world about Italians playing in tunnels?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Potgiesser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mellman99 wrote:
I'm just here for the Dam tour...are we allowed to take all the Dam photos we want?

P.s. where do I buy the Dam bait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Darby
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
I thought you were going to complain about the hydro electric part of the theme, and I FLEW over here to defend it, because I think that's one of the best themes I've seen in a long time. The dystopian part seems ignore-able

Glad you don't object to water projects!

I completely agree! I love the hydro-water theme and it took me a bit to even see the dystopian part. I see it as a game of power generation by manipulation of dams!

I'm excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.