Chris McCleary
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
WARNING: Caustic
mbmbmbmbmb
This issue only affects cards for the North American market, which were printed in the United States. Per Frank Jaeger of Ludo Fact Germany: "If your TM: Venus Next has "Made in Germany" or "Made In Europe" on the box (I am not sure which one it is as I don't have a copy handy) the cards are fine."

Venus Next Cards are narrower / smaller (mis-sized) when compared to cards from the base game or promos. Examples:

Pics by pacemaker67

Instructions for Requesting Replacement Venus Next Cards Cards from Ludo Fact / Stronghold Games:

Our apologies once again for the mis-sized cards in Venus Next.

To get a replacement deck, please click on this link and follow the procedure shown:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeZkEuPrWqgVeEzC6YK...

The procedure is simple and explained in the above link, but in summary:

1. Fill out the form presented
2. Check your mailbox for a shipping label (within a week or so of submitting this form)
3. Take your defective deck and search for the card "Extractor Balloons" (No. 223)
4. Send the card using the shipping label
5. Wait for your new deck to arrive

Again, we are very sorry that the cards were not properly matched to the base game in one of the printings. Ludofact has taken responsibility and will be doing these replacements. It has taken a while to ensure that the cards were reprinted, shipped across the ocean, and very importantly a seamless process was in place to get the replacement cards to you.

On behalf of Ludofact and Stronghold Games, our sincerest apologies.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

History of 'Official' Responses & Comments Regarding the Printing Error

Compiled by program2game and SynapticAcid from this long-running (and still ongoing) thread: My Venus Next cards are narrower (as of December 13, 2018)

Jacob Fryxelius of FryxGames posted on Jan 23, 2018 2:26 pm
Fryxen wrote:
We (FryxGames, Stronghold, and LudoFact) are looking into this and will have a statement posted here shortly.

Sincerely,
Jacob Fryxelius

Andre Voest from Ludo Fact posted on Jan 25, 2018 10:43 om
Andre Voest wrote:
Dear bgg-community & TM-fans,

we are very sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing those issues with the recent printrun of the cards in the TM Venus expansion. This is the full (long) explanation. If you prefer to skip that, jump to the last paragraph.

FryxGames, Stronghold Games and Ludo Fact USA take quality issues very seriously which is why we immediately started investigations on the matter. As you all know, the Terraforming Mars series has grown to become a massive success, thanks to all of your support and the great work of the publishers. We, Ludo Fact USA, are happy and proud to be part of this story. Due to this success, there are now numerous printruns from 2 different continents and supplier networks on the market. The workload of pinpointing the cause of the issue through this complex system is big and it took us a little longer than we had hoped, but thank you for you patience up till now.

As a gamer myself, I understand the disappointment that comes with imperfect material, especially when I really enjoy the game and it is on my table a lot. Unfortunately, I know that some of those imperfections are unavoidable when you work with machines. The general rule of thumb is, the more often a piece or component has to run through a separate machine, the greater the variance. With only one processing step as with cards, those differences can be kept to a fraction of a millimeter though.

However, this seems to be the issue here. One of the printruns of the base game must have had this variance maxed out to the largest size, while the Venus printrun must have varied to the smallest size which creates a noticeable difference between the two versions. In our consideration and QC process, this difference did not appear to this extent which is why the cards were cleared and used production run.

Sadly this means we cannot replace the cards and can only recommend to sleeve them as well as taking extra care when shuffling them. We are very sorry for this inconvenience and are working on a process to avoid this going forward.

Kind regards,
Andre Voest
Ludo Fact USA

EDIT: I confused which set of cards varied to largest and which to smallest and noticed after posting.

Stephan Buonocore from Stronghold Games posted on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:00 pm
evilone wrote:

UPDATE:

Stronghold Games and Fryx Games are exploring options actively with the printer, Ludofact, on what can be done.

Please stay tuned. We will post updates here.

We apologize sincerely for the inconvenience that this has caused.

Thank you,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Stephen Buonocore from Stronghold Games posted on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:03 am
evilone wrote:
UPDATE:

Meetings in person between Ludofact and Fryx Games have occurred at the Spielwarenmesse in Nuremberg today.

We are collectively working out what actions can occur.

Please stay tuned. We will post updates here. They will not be daily, but know we are addressing this.

Apologies again.

Thank you,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Stephen Buonocore from Stronghold Games posted on Thu Feb 1, 2018 4:56 pm
evilone wrote:
UPDATE:

Cards with the correct specs are being printed imminently.

A process is being put in place for card replacement.

This will all take some time, but great progress has been made this week in both phone and in-person meetings with all involved parties.

When more information is available, I will post here.
(Updates will be less frequent now, as the above needs to occur before any more material information is available.)

Thank you for your patience.

My apologies again.

Thank you,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Stephen Buonocore from Stronghold Games posted on Fri Feb 2, 2018 8:41 am
evilone wrote:
erjones wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Now every single angry person should post an apology and a thank you. lol.

All the angry people are the reason anything is happening.

This is not accurate, and it deserves a quick reply...

My initial investigation led me to believe that the issue was as originally reported, i.e. small card variation.

Further review concluded otherwise. Once we realized this, we took additional action, and did so as fast as humanly possible.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Stephen Buonocore from Stronghold Games posted on Fri Feb 2, 2018 11:02 am
evilone wrote:
mattpburgess wrote:
pacemaker67 wrote:
evilone wrote:
My initial investigation led me to believe that the issue was as originally reported, i.e. small card variation.

Further review concluded otherwise. Once we realized this, we took additional action,

So what was acceptable initially that was different on further investigation? Did you accept that the size difference was NOT a problem? Do you now conclude that the card size IS a problem?

Or is the finish?

or rounding?

When did you first hear about this?

I appreciate that you are fixing this, but what actually changed from the initial LudoFact denial and your silence? Why was there further review of a problem that you deemed inconsequential?
I don't think this is really necessary at this point.

They are working to resolve the situation to the satisfaction of their fans / customers. Really, beyond that, they are under no obligation to divulge the internal workings of their companies and partners.

It might be best at this point to just see how that resolution turns out, and hope that positive lessons are learned from the experience.

This. Well put. Thank you for this post.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Frank Jager from Ludo Fact posted on Wed May 2, 2018 12:51 am
frank jaeger wrote:
Don't get upset, Matthew. That's just BGG.

Thank you for pointing this out. It was said before but it is good to repeat it in case someone misses the information which is buried somewhere in this thread.

I also have an explanation for this fact. The English language print run was split into two. We produced the bulk in the US and a smaller run in Europe, the cards for the US were from a different printer than the European ones. With production runs the size of Terraforming Mars the client saves money by producing in our factories in the US and Germany parallely because he does not have to ship and import the games to another continent, plus it saves several weeks of time.

So yes: If your TM: Venus Next has "Made in Germany" or "Made In Europe" on the box (I am not sure which one it is as I don't have a copy handy) the cards are fine.

Cheers
Frank Jaeger
LUDO FACT

Andre Voest from Ludo Fact posted on May 25, 2018 9:56 am
Andre Voest wrote:
Hi Ben & Royce,
valid question! I cannot speak for Stronghold Games where exactly everything will be provided, but, as of now, the process will look very similar to this:

There will be an excel form for each person to fill out and send to a e-mail address. Then you will receive a shipping label and you will need to ship a specific card or similar of the deck to us. We will generate a return label and send back the replacement deck. We are having everyone send something in first to ensure everybody gets their right amount of decks.

We are currently figuring out the details how this is going to work, but whatever we will do, will look at least similar to the described process.

I hope that will work for everyone!
Cheers,
Andre
Account Manager Board Games
Ludo Fact USA

Stephen Buonocore from Stronghold Games posted on Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm
evilone wrote:

Our apologies once again for the mis-sized cards in Venus Next.

To get a replacement deck, please click on this link and follow the procedure shown:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeZkEuPrWqgVeEzC6YK...

The procedure is simple and explained in the above link, but in summary:

1. Fill out the form presented
2. Check your mailbox for a shipping label (within a week or so of submitting this form)
3. Take your defective deck and search for the card "Extractor Balloons" (No. 223)
4. Send the card using the shipping label
5. Wait for your new deck to arrive

Again, we are very sorry that the cards were not properly matched to the base game in one of the printings. Ludofact has taken responsibility and will be doing these replacements. It has taken a while to ensure that the cards were reprinted, shipped across the ocean, and very importantly a seamless process was in place to get the replacement cards to you.

On behalf of Ludofact and Stronghold Games, our sincerest apologies.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Stephen Buonocore from Stronghold Games posted on Posted Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:33 pm
evilone wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Seems like a lot more effort on our end then it should be.
And it seems like a lot of wasted money in shipping costs for you guys.

Really? How could it be easier?

Just send the deck in the first place, after an address is submitted. Now they have to gather the info, print two envelopes to send out. Wait for the card to come back, and then send out the package they could have done right after collecting names.

And everyone gets a deck for free? Ok, not everyone, but surely there's going to be people out there who would abuse such a system. This at least protects them somewhat from that.

I would have preferred there to be some way to provide a digital proof of purchase, but I struggle to come up with a good way to do that which couldn't also be spoofed/cloned/abused.

Exactly. Thank you.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Frank Jaeger from Ludo Fact posted on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:37 am
frank jaeger wrote:
Hi everybody,

while I won't comment on most things posted to not give weight to things that don't deserve it, there is one sentence I have to:

motoyugota wrote:
still have not apologized for that screw up.

Apology: Yes, of course, we are sorry for this and Stephen Buonocore wrote "On behalf of Ludofact and Stronghold Games, our sincerest apologies." (Posted July 23rd, 2018). It was agreed on mutually that we would do it this way.

Yes, a mistake has been made, and we will take responsibility. But is it not enough to apologize once and then move on to correcting things? In case someone has missed this I will say it officially and clear: Ludo Fact is responsible for the mistake and I apologize for it and for the efforts that this causes you. I am very grateful for your patience and understanding in the matter. We are going to correct it no matter what the cost. It takes a while to get this en route, and I understand that it is frustrating to wait, for which I sincerely apologize.

Now to the point at hand:
Of course the labels are coming with a Ludo Fact address. Returns will be sent to that address when a package is undeliverable. But still as a factory we don't have the means nor staff to execute such a replacement operation. I honestly thought that was so obvious and self explanatory that it did not deserve being mentioned. I am quite astonished that I was mistaken.

Yes, we made a mistake. That does not mean that every single post here is always right and has to be humbly endured even if it spreads false Information. There is no yelling, and certainly does a customer not have to yell at Ludo Fact to get things done. That is what I want and need to contradict as it paints a wrong picture and does so in public for everybody to see. I cannot let that stand.

As for Carl Bussema's post: Where is the personal attack? But in case that you are not the only one feeling this way, I would like to address the issue.
If my post can be interpreted as a personal attack, I want to make clear that it was not intended as such. Whatever differences in opinion we have, I do not attack you personally. My intention is to debate content, not have a beef with a person. Charles, if I left that path, I apologize. It was done unintentionally and was not directed against your person.

Frank Jaeger from Ludo Fact posted on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 am
frank jaeger wrote:
@ David: I am sorry, I can't. I am not in contact with the service that executes the replacement. Even if I was, it would not be my place to make a statement about it, communication should go through Stronghold.

As for our other discussoon: I will always draw the line when my colleagues and co-workers are intentionally disrespected like it was done in the original post I took offense in (and still do). Let me be clear: No one at Ludo Fact is deliberately delaying anything, no one has to be yelled at to do their work, and they are certainly not sitting on their asses until a customer makes them do what they are supposed to do.

Even when me made a mistake, that is absolutely uncalled for. I won't accept such abuse just because someone purchased a game produced in our factory.

Frank Jaeger from Ludo Fact posted on Aug 30, 2018 6:12 am
frank jaeger wrote:
@pacemaker 67: I am sorry, I forgot to reply to your comment. I don't want to seem like I ignored it as it is an easy one to reply to, but also one of the more uncomfortable ones: You are absolutely right. It was a misinterpretation of the situation that turned out to be wrong. Entirely. I am sorry for that.

Frank Jaeger from Ludo Fact posted on Aug 31, 2018 1:00 am
frank jaeger wrote:
Hi Charles,

the US factory does not produce cards at the moment. There are two reasons for that:

1. A technical reason
We did not have a card machine in the US factory. When we bought the US company we expanded - and still do - from a producer of boxes and punched boards to a factory for full games, the company did not have a card machine. That is a machine to cut the printed sheet into cards, collates them into decks and - with an extension to the machine - packs them either in shrink wrap or in cellophane. Such a machine has been purchased in the meantime, but I don't know if it is up and running already.

2. A quality reason
We did and I think do not have a quality printer in the US that can deliver consistent standards and print on the same paper that we use in Europe. This thread is the best example for what can happen if one uses another printer - we definitely learned to regret this decision. Offset printing is a delicate process in any case and there are small deviations from print run to print run (look at Magic: The Gathering - they print the game for decades with the same card back and if you compare various print runs, the colours are all over the place). Although is has gotten better since we implemented a common ICC profile to be used by clients and suppliers to ensure consistency, small variations are still not completely unavoidable. So a good, reliable and consistent printer is a mandatory basic requirement. The paper is another reason, we have produced cards for many years on paper from two companies. Since we can never know which game will be printed where at which time, and if a game is so successful that expensions will be produced, we need to continue with the same paper. Unfortunately that also turned out to be more difficult than we anticipated.

So the replacement cards were printed in Germany where every single Terraforming Mars card was produced before and after this one print run of TF:VN that this whole thread is about and shipped to the US.

Cheers
Frank.
(edited for spelling)

Frank Jaeger from Ludo Fact posted on Mon Sep 3, 2018 12:26 am
frank jaeger wrote:
@ Pacemaker 67: The cards are made in Germany (except the one print run that was bad) and the plastic pieces are always from China.

Frank Jaeger from Ludo Fact posted on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:34 am
frank jaeger wrote:
Hi Jason,

sorry, my friend, I don't know. I am in Germany and the games are made in the US, I do not know when they produce and if there is going to be a difference between the games of different production runs.

It is rather strange that you all did not reveive replacement Cards yet. I will inquire.

Cheers

Frank Jaeger from Ludo Fact posted on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:09 am
frank jaeger wrote:
Cards not rectangular? That is really odd. The sheets are cut by a machine, see here at minute 13:36 (until 15.14), each sheet is individually adjusted before it's cut:

That setup should avoid mistakes like you describe. Since it obviously still happened, I can only say I am very sorry for that. It is a mistake that I have not encountered before. Are the cards usable?

Edit: There seems to be a probkem with the Video and I am unable to fix it. So here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvrmG7G7XqU

Frank Jaeger from Ludo Fact posted on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:16 am
frank jaeger wrote:
@ brian: We do not have a card machine in the US yet, or better: we do have one now, I just don't know if it is already set up and running, but the cards for Prelude were still made in Germany. Everything else was made in the US.

Andrew Voest from Ludo Fact posted on Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:51 pm
Andre Voest wrote:
Hi Simon,
you know, there have been many pages of (deserved) criticism in this thread of which none I deny or have disputed. We are working daily towards fixing this issue for good and getting everyone their fixed decks as they should.

After months of this, to hear a different point of view, unasked for, is just nice. I am just a person, too, and do care a lot about this, board games in general and Stronghold. I certainly did not intend or expect the whole procedure to take as long as it did and cause so much trouble.

We are working on all requests. I made sure to answer everyone sending me a mail regarding the topic as soon as I read the mail. We are cycling through requests day by day. I am very sorry if you are on of the people who have send us your card and have not received a notification yet, though it should only be a matter of days at this point.

The international portion will largely just receive a deck as we are having trouble generating a label for them to send to us, with customs clearance etc. Customs is also why those are taking longer to process.

Cheers,
Andre

Andre Voest from Ludo Fact posted on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:04 pm
Andre Voest wrote:
Hi Carl,
I will give it a shot:

The cards that are off in size were produced with the wrong tool. Unfortunately, this mistake went unnoticed until we had those responses. Honestly, in my 6 years in this industry, this has never happened before, at least not that I am aware of, therefore we didn't jump onto it immediately.

The tool used is off by .5 and .9 mm, so really small. In the beginning, we got a few complaints. Since there was a significant amount of games out there, a very small issue margin is not totally unusual. Once we saw this was a real general problem, we had to look into this. For starters, we had to investigate which print run was actually affected.

Please note that this was almost 2 months after the last copies had left our production. So, this was not something I could have just walked out into the production for and check real quick. Also, there were several production runs out there, hence the customers that have correct card sizes and the ones that don't. In addition, this required investigations across three different continents & even more timezones.
I also want to state here that the material and finish used are definitely industry standard, the same facility produced them as card decks for many other well known, large scale titles. I have seen the rub on some cards, mind you. But I don't want to go into this deeper for now as card decks are being replaced anyways.

Once we knew the extent of the issue, we could start a reprint. The timeline for that is about 3.5 months. Ludo Fact USA was the one responsible for the affected Venus production so we would handle the replacements. We are generally not set up for single consumer shipments, so we had to implement a system along with it. Also, to avoid people not getting decks, we had to come up with a process that would allow us to check that everybody gets an appropriate amount of replacement decks. This is not particularly easy since the whole send-to-us-first-model is not exactly standard.

Stronghold Games and Stephen have been a trusted partner and friend of Ludo Fact, and in particular Ludo Fact USA. Terraforming Mars was the very first game ever produced at our location here, and Stephen and FryxGames are a big reason why we are where we are today. Stephen & Fryx trusted us to fix this without further ado. We implemented everything as soon as possible. The processing side of things turned out to be more challenging than anticipated and I sincerely apologize to everyone here for that. It is important to me and LF USA that you know Stephen and FryxGames were very much on top of this and the ball was dropped on our side here when we underestimated the workload and the challenges along with it.

We as a group take the criticism here very serious and will work to improve our communication in cases of complaints and recalls.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope this clarifies the working processes on our side.

Sincerely,
Andre
Ludo Fact USA

Updated December 13, 2018
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you know if this concerns also the french edition from intrafin ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McCleary
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis wrote:
do you know if this concerns also the french edition from intrafin ?

No, my understanding, based on statements from Ludo Fact, is that this issue only affects cards in the North America market where Ludo Fact outsourced the printing to a third-party. All other markets, per Ludo Fact (this is stated in the 'Official' Comments section above) received cards printed from their German factory and do not have this issue.

I'll edit the post to better reflect that this is a North America market issue only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Additional data here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1929032/venus-next-wrong-si...

It sounds like there were *some* sets that were sold in Europe (not sure which country) that had MADE IN USA above/below(?) the UPC. Some of those were defective.

Ludofact seems to agree that the warning sign of bad cards is MADE IN USA. Apparently, these are still being sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
many thanks guys ! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we should try to keep further discussion on the original thread and just leave this as a record of official responses and important updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I filled in the forms ages ago, but I no response. Did anyone get fixed cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:

A number of people have reported getting shipping notifications in this thread: My Venus Next cards are narrower. I’ve gotten mine too, although at this point, the tracking shows it hasn’t shipped yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McCleary
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New statement from Andre Voest of Ludo Fact USA made on November 21, 2018 and posted on the original thread:

Andre Voest wrote:
Hi Carl,

I will give it a shot:

The cards that are off in size were produced with the wrong tool. Unfortunately, this mistake went unnoticed until we had those responses. Honestly, in my 6 years in this industry, this has never happened before, at least not that I am aware of, therefore we didn't jump onto it immediately.

The tool used is off by .5 and .9 mm, so really small. In the beginning, we got a few complaints. Since there was a significant amount of games out there, a very small issue margin is not totally unusual. Once we saw this was a real general problem, we had to look into this. For starters, we had to investigate which print run was actually affected.

Please note that this was almost 2 months after the last copies had left our production. So, this was not something I could have just walked out into the production for and check real quick. Also, there were several production runs out there, hence the customers that have correct card sizes and the ones that don't. In addition, this required investigations across three different continents & even more timezones.
I also want to state here that the material and finish used are definitely industry standard, the same facility produced them as card decks for many other well known, large scale titles. I have seen the rub on some cards, mind you. But I don't want to go into this deeper for now as card decks are being replaced anyways.

Once we knew the extent of the issue, we could start a reprint. The timeline for that is about 3.5 months. Ludo Fact USA was the one responsible for the affected Venus production so we would handle the replacements. We are generally not set up for single consumer shipments, so we had to implement a system along with it. Also, to avoid people not getting decks, we had to come up with a process that would allow us to check that everybody gets an appropriate amount of replacement decks. This is not particularly easy since the whole send-to-us-first-model is not exactly standard.

Stronghold Games and Stephen have been a trusted partner and friend of Ludo Fact, and in particular Ludo Fact USA. Terraforming Mars was the very first game ever produced at our location here, and Stephen and FryxGames are a big reason why we are where we are today. Stephen & Fryx trusted us to fix this without further ado. We implemented everything as soon as possible. The processing side of things turned out to be more challenging than anticipated and I sincerely apologize to everyone here for that. It is important to me and LF USA that you know Stephen and FryxGames were very much on top of this and the ball was dropped on our side here when we underestimated the workload and the challenges along with it.

We as a group take the criticism here very serious and will work to improve our communication in cases of complaints and recalls.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope this clarifies the working processes on our side.

Sincerely,
Andre
Ludo Fact USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abygael Vimes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:

I never got a shipping label or anything, but my replacement cards arrived today. I am in Belgium, for the record. (The shipping notification was very mysterious and we weren’t 100% sure what was coming until it arrived.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek K.
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s been almost two weeks since I filled out the form and I still haven’t received a shipping label... can I just send the card directly to them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.