Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now maybe i’ve been playing too much gloomhaven, but would an enemy like a Black Fang Tribe try to maximize hitting multiple heroes (if possible) or just stick to the standard ‘Randomly select a target in range with least enemies of that type’?

I have a situation where there are 3 heroes it can randomly attack—I roll and it decided to attack the hero that’s within range and alone, but should I have prioritized attacking the heroes within range where it can hit multiple of them?

My guess is technically ‘no’, but maybe in the Errata/FAQ someone addressed this. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think RAW, choose targets randomly.

That said, this is an easy modification to make if you want to. We generally use smart enemies when it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Libert
msg tools
mb
Well, isn't it somewhere in the rules that you have to always choose what's best for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maahjin wrote:
Well, isn't it somewhere in the rules that you have to always choose what's best for the game?
No, as this would be very difficult to objectively self-police. "Best" is a pretty ambiguous term. Does it mean most damage? most Hits? most vulnerable hero? best positioning? body blocking mobility? Must easier to say "Targets a random Hero that isn't already being targeted by an Enemy of the same Type".

That being said, you could - as has been suggested here - make a house rule that requires a Black Fang to prioritize moving to spaces adjacent to their targets that maximize the number of Heroes adjacent to the Enemy.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maahjin wrote:

More written that monsters will position to allow the most amount of monsters to circle the heroes. So basically they will move to the back side of possible if it allows more monsters through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemies
1) Move as far as possible, while remaining able to still get into contact with their target.
2) of the same type attempt to evenly distribute amongst eligible targets.

As long as you remain within these rules, you do have a choice (if you wish) as to which eligible square an enemy actually move into adjacent to their target.

As far as choosing their target, beyond point #2, it is essentially random until there is a rule (such as the Samurai's Challenge tactic) that changes targeting priority.

That said, obviously, the intent is to have fun. If you wish to play a special scenario or have enemies 'be smarter' overall, to change up the game - go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls