Subject: Playing solo with 5 heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Hi folks

Just wondering your views before I start painting these puppy’s
I intend to solo the game and notice on the forums the general recommended hero count is 3.
Well seeing as there are over 20 huge quests to play through and seeing as the first run through due to book of secrets is obviously gonna be the most exciting I was wondering what you thought of the pros and cons of having solo a party of 5
First I must say that I’m a war game veteran used to playing advantaged squad leader n stuff so I’m no stranger to complexity
The pros I see with 5 is that one can really enjoy the interaction tactically with all the varied skills and talents that the party can interlink with

Plus upgrading 5 heroes sounds like loads of fun through the course of 20+ quests compared to just 3

The cons I can see is that having so many things to remember for each character may make my brain redundant or forget to use some of their skills
Interesting to hear any advice
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Try it with fewer heroes first. Your ability to react is diminished with more (enemies get one turn per hero), it's also very table-space intensive. I would've been overwhelmed if I started solo with 5 (though I could probably manage it now).

The system is not difficult to grok, but there are lots of small steps and you will probably have a better time if there are fewer heroes on the board as you do your initial learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yingying wrote:
The cons I can see is that having so many things to remember for each character may make my brain redundant or forget to use some of their skills

See /thread/1928049 for some tips on how to handle that. i play solo with 3 characters, but found it too difficult to keep track of everything before implementing the tips described in that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Oh ok thanks
Perhaps I’ll just paint three choice heroes
Any recommendation for 3 party including expansion heroes but not dragon or banner bearer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Will do thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks Steve and Rezard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
It's doable with 5 heroes. But keep in mind that it's going to be a very long game.

In a way I like it more with more heroes, it is a lot more tactical but I can't stress enough how much more longer the game gets and quite often the game overstays its welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Oh I see your point
I don’t mind a long game but maybe too many movable parts in 5 player
I guess and as you say might over stay it’s welcome although the more tactical play sounds enticing
Now the popular opinion seems to be 3 player....hmmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis Xiroyannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on
mbmbmbmbmb
I played scenarios with 2, 3, 4, and 5 heroes. The campaign game is at its best with 5 heroes.

BUT as people already commented, it is a long game, and solo game with 5 is not something I would recommend even to an experienced dungeon crawler player. Try with 2-3, see how it goes. In most cases we all had to replay Quest 1 anyway, because of many mistakes we did not really understand until we read the rules again AFTER playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks Makis
Yes I see your point and best to start playing with less hero to learn the ropes so to speak but you say the campaign is best with 5
Do you solo your campaign with 5 all the way through? Or use less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think 4 is the sweet spot actually. At 4 it enters the tier where you put more enemies onto the board and you will spawn more enemies in general. At 5 the spawn formula is the same but you get one additional hero to help with which reduces difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yayaba wrote:
I think 4 is the sweet spot actually. At 4 it enters the tier where you put more enemies onto the board and you will spawn more enemies in general. At 5 the spawn formula is the same but you get one additional hero to help with which reduces difficulty.

The is not entire true. You get less spawn tokens, but the the spawn formula in event cards is the number of hero in play minus number of enemy in play. So, with 5 hero, you do get more enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
alvinltlo wrote:
yayaba wrote:

The is not entire true. You get less spawn tokens, but the the spawn formula in event cards is the number of hero in play minus number of enemy in play. So, with 5 hero, you do get more enemy.

True, you will average one extra enemy then. But I think at 4 you still will average a higher ratio of enemy per hero right? Since you will have more spawn tokens per hero and also using the same formula.

For both 4 or 5 though Book of Secret spawns will trigger so that is a wash.

OP: I've found managing 4 heroes to be fine. It does get more fiddly though. Personally I'm fine with 4 and don't really want to manage another hero but I get the feeling of maximizing everything to run the full ~17 or so quests with (excluding Vast. Lair since that's not out yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is try the prologue a few times with different numbers of heroes and see what feels best for you. I ended up at 5 but I can see where 4 or 3 would feel better.

For table space, grab the Sword and Sorcery App(I know its on IOS, I assume Android has one). It keeps track of characters, including equipment and powers. You can toggle body conditions and when abilities are used. I believe it has everything in the game currently released(even Kickstarter only stuff at the moment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Interesting comments thanks.
As a miniature war gamer I have a permanent 6x4 table setup in my game room so I doubt space would be an issue. I did of course download the iOS app and it looks impressive and will at least use for “storing” the game away or use in conjunction. I think what I will do is go for the classic “4” party at first and see if it causes brain overload as has been stated with all the minuscule it’s easy to overlook a few rules
I’ll test prologue
I know I need a healer but can I get by without the dwarf. Will the lady Druid cut it. I don’t have access to the dragon
I was thinking
Druid lady can turn into bear and healing
Knight or barbarian as front fighter
Lady thief for popping doors and chests and use ranged
4th? Archer/ranger or sorceress
Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
One thing to note about the app, if a power or item gives you an ability to wear things that normally you wouldn't be allowed to, like say giving an S character the ability to hold M items, it won't show up in the app.

yingying wrote:

I know I need a healer but can I get by without the dwarf. Will the lady Druid cut it. I don’t have access to the dragon

Healers are good, but honestly aren't mandatory.

We had a group of 5, none of them having healing powers and used nothing but consumables for healing and did just fine.

yingying wrote:

I was thinking
Druid lady can turn into bear and healing
Knight or barbarian as front fighter
Lady thief for popping doors and chests and use ranged
4th? Archer/ranger or sorceress
Any thoughts?

I think any party structure is viable, some of course have better synergy than others.

Loot experts are important which you got covered with the thief. DPS is important (she also does that).

Keep in mind that the Knight is more geared towards a tank with a bit DPS secondary while the Barbarian is head on major DPS.

Which is better? Depends on how you want to play your druid. If you go heavy into the bear form, then you got at least a partial tank. Otherwise you might consider the knight as you are going completely tank-less.

The thief if I recall gets more bonuses for using daggers and thrown weapons. But it doesn't matter much. We had the Pirate walk around with a bow and she did just fine even though she doesn't have any power that boost it.

I haven't tried the two weapon ranger, the archer is very good but it takes him a bit to level up and get a decent bow to start impacting thing. In the first mission he felt very weak because no decent bow.

Not to discourage you, just be aware of that.

Both ranger and Sorcerers are heavy DPSers, so it's really up to you to pick whichever you like more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks Tomer
Ok I can leave out the dwarf as healer I’ll take the Druid and use consumables
Thief sounds super useful she’s in
Knight or barbarian ?
Carnt quite make my mind up yet as the barbarian has quite a lot of Armour he’s not allowed but his mini looks super cool
I guess I must have a solid magic user to round out the four
Ariel or Onomar or the archer\ranger
Possibly save the archer\ranger for a 2nd delve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the base campaign solo with three heroes and really enjoyed it. I tried again with four and it felt like it dragged a lot.

Maybe some of it was the heroes selected but I think the main issue was the time it took to get through everything. As noted above, each hero's turn comes with an enemy activation so the game length is sort of a linear+ increase with player count (there are extra shadow tokens at higher player counts so there's more enemies to fight to challenge larger parties).

The book keeping on the heroes wasn't too bad. and the table space was manageable (I play on a 2.5 x 6' folding table) but your characters take up one portion of your table and the dungeon another. And the cards a third. And tokens... The game is a hog but if you have a rolling chair, you can easily slide back and forth as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Well, you could always take the Knight and Barbarian if you want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks James interesting comments
Maybe I’ll run prologue with 4 just to test the water

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen gardner
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
But then I would have one less of another choice
Decisions.. decisions...lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cons is basically a longer game and more stuff to keep track of. More heroes and more enemies to keep track of.

The pros to me is that it really feels like those old 90's computer D&D games. Some of them allow you to control a party of 4-6 characters. Also, I find that as long as you have each of the 4 character types covered (S, D, M, F), you will be able to use every treasure you find. You really cut down on the number of treasure card draws that you don't find useful. There are also some quests where having a specific type of hero gives you some benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.