Subject: Game Scope rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Texsun
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand this is a rare game to find; I found a few posts out on the Internet asking for more information on it, but they're about three to four years old. I hope this info I've provided helps anyone find out more about the game.

I played it exactly twice, so I don't have an in-depth knowledge of the game. The full version of the game needs four maps that form into one giant map that can easily cover a twin bed. Few people are going to have a table that size that will hold this monster. On top of the map there's at least three additional sheets that need to be kept handy - two reference sheets and a record track page as well. Add to this the fact that you're employing the better part of 800 counters and the player's going to be spending many a day playing out this what-if game.

There's a smaller scenario that lets you game the Japanese invasion of California, which only uses a few counters and serves as an introduction to the system. This is a good thing as trying to take on the full game right off the bat could easily choke your enjoyment of this title. SS Amerika is only for the most patient of gamers that have a huge amount of room to spare for it and friends interested in playing; its solitaire suitability is relatively low (the box says 'medium').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this! Unfortunately my dad never took good care of his wargames, so I don't have access to it anymore. I recall the game being very simple, actually, and moving pretty fast. I played as the axis. The American troops didn't seem like much of a match for my panzers, at all. The Germans made inroads very quickly. However, the Japanese had a harder time of it. I made a landing quite early in the game and they were wiped out pretty quickly by the scant US forces present on the West Coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game and have played it with friends 2-3 times...Needs lots of room to play and an afternoon...From our experiences the Germans first invasion was in the soft Gulf coast area(soft underbelly) since the east coast was heavily defended...Then as the Americans slowly stripped troops from coast to meet the invasion...The Germans would get bogged down in a stalemate in the southeast...Then attempt a second invasion in a weakened east coast region...Then the real fun began!

As for the Japanese...Landing on the west coast was pretty much suicidal...Only purpose was to tie down as many US units as possible for as long as possible...The Japs were a nonfactor for the rest of the game...

However in the second game...We tried something different and had the Japs and Germans land in Mexico against light resistance and link up...Don't recall if it did much good but it was fun trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played this game twice, maybe fifteen years ago (ouch, was it really that long?). I think we may have screwed up some of the rules, but it was a fascinating and tough challenge. I tried to pick a copy at one point, but it turned out to have countersheets that were badly misprinted (unplayably so) and had to return it.

It certainly was not a game that shied away from controversy, and in hindsight, probably was way to glib with topics that my then high-school self was ignorant of. I'll just comment on game mechanics, from here on, and save the rest of this for another thread.

One tactic we found was very effective was in targeting the German fleet with long range US bombers before they can gain land bases (or so I recall). Germany had to be a little more cautious, and land in the periphery, before working their way towards a more key site. As for Japan, taking the Panama Canal and linking up with the Germans was key to protecting the invasion fleets.

Things I liked: The national morale system. The war is about more than just taking territory, it's about your opponent's willingness to keep fighting. The number of scenarios was pretty interesting as well, and we never got to try the late war ones.

Also, if anyone is interested in alternate history games of this scope, that are still in print, I'd recommend checking out ADG's America in Flames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Texsun
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also "Tomorrow The World," which I believe Ty Bomba did. TTW is much more tongue-in-cheek (I think) than SSA is, and it might be just as hard to find on shelves somewhere, or on eBay. Coincidentally enough, I intend to put my copy of both of these games on eBay this weekend...I've had them long enough and haven't played them or taken them out of their boxes in a long, long time (actually the last time I unboxed SS Amerika was to add it here to BGG, ten years ago).

SSA might be a monster, but I enjoyed it just because it was alternate history and tried to take on a subject that you don't see covered all that often - at least, covered seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.