1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Neanderthal» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd edition printing errors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Settlers of Catan: Cities & Knights fanMicrobadge: Pax Transhumanity fanMicrobadge: Tapestry - Science
It seems there are quite a few (mostly very minor) errors in the 2nd edition. I thought it would be good to try to make a definitive list.

Box

Open, Event & Daughter side: "Bid using orange disks" and "Yellow is first player". The arrows point to the center of the card, but the information is at the bottom.

Placards

Vocal side, Warrior: Incorrectly shows Club+1 as Phase 3, when it applies during Phase 4.
Vocal side: The pre-requisite lines from Elders go to the portals, but should go to the domains.
Tribal side: Trapper: Incorrectly labelled Tracker.

Biomes

33: String-Winding: Missing 3-of-a-kind -> hand icons. See String-winding into hand?

Daughters

40: Paintress: Animal Whisperer is phase 4, not 2
41: Scavenger Woman: Food Storage is phase 3, not phase 2
42: Laughing Woman: Jokes is phase 1, not phase 4
44: Weather Whisperer: Ember-Carrier is phase 1, not phase 2
49: Basket Weaver: Foraging is phase 3, not phase 4
50: Piper: Music is phase 4, not phase 2
55: Housewife: Hearth is phase 4, not phase 2

Rules

Plenty of typos - see Fede__'s reply

Opinions

There are a couple of things I think are unclear choice of icons rather than errors, which I would change if reprinting:

Placard, Both sides, Warrior: The war party icons imply that you need war party for the star-dice to mean 1 or 2. In fact, it means attack roles in phase 3 are against stars instead of 1s.

47: Telling Mother: Icon for +1 hand limit shouldn't have the arrow. It implies you get to take one more care, not hold one more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arunas Rudis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
Microbadge: What is seen depends on the eyes that see!Microbadge: PAX fanMicrobadge: I beg my lover to play gamesMicrobadge: Strike of the Eagle fan - TukhachevskyMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fan
Considering, a lot of players will probably sleeve their cards, it would be nice if the updated pictures of thous cards will appear in file section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Settlers of Catan: Cities & Knights fanMicrobadge: Pax Transhumanity fanMicrobadge: Tapestry - Science
darzininkas wrote:
Considering, a lot of players will probably sleeve their cards, it would be nice if the updated pictures of thous cards will appear in file section.
Given a lot of players won't sleeve those cards, it would be nice if all kickstarter backers were sent a replacement fixed deck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst_uk wrote:
darzininkas wrote:
Given a lot of players won't sleeve those cards, it would be nice if all kickstarter backers were sent a replacement fixed deck!
This feels like a lot of mistakes to me? Having to keep up with all of this may start discouraging me from trying to play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
wademoore wrote:
xorsyst_uk wrote:
darzininkas wrote:
This feels like a lot of mistakes to me? Having to keep up with all of this may start discouraging me from trying to play this game.
It's a fair criticism, but in reality it's mostly fairly easy to ignore. You tend to read the text of the daughter's ability and it's obvious when that must apply. But it would be good if the numbers were right. If you get a lot of daughters, it's nice to be able to quickly scan the "current phase" abilities.

The biggest one that confused us all on first play is the Warrior on the Placard, took a while to work out exactly what that all actually meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Arctic Scavengers fan Microbadge: Ancient History fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
wademoore wrote:
Especially for a second printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tournay fanMicrobadge: The Palaces of Carrara fanMicrobadge: At the Gates of Loyang fanMicrobadge: Fleet: Arctic Bounty fanMicrobadge: Finished! fan
Thank you to the OP for this list.

It would be really great if Sierra Madre Games decide not to send a replacement kit for every baker, they put in their website a page dedicated to list all the errors and misprints of this second edition (and other page for Greenland 3rd edition errors and misprints) and send an email to the bakers with the URL of those web pages.
As far I see they only put the card #33 for Neanderthal in the download section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ross Spurgeon
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Neanderthal fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: SpaceX fanMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fan
My anticipation for these games(Neanderthal, Greenland kickstarted and PAX Emancipation ordered from SM website) has moved to ZERO.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I ordered/kickstarted these games with a hopeful intension (better quality components, better rules, and YES - less errors in the game itself).

I'm starting to believe there is a better way.

(as I am not a religious person, I cringe at the use of words 'hope'. 'faith', 'belief' in my emotion set with kickstarter)

Maybe I should consider the concept of FORGIVNESS when praying to the kickstarter gods..............................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I was a Seattle Seahawks fan before it was cool.Microbadge: I adopted my dog(s) from a rescueMicrobadge: Everett SilvertipsMicrobadge: Seattle Supersonics fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom fan
I have been a part of a lot of Kickstarters. But for an established company making a 2nd & 3rd printing of a game(s). This is pure and simple sloppy, half-assed, I don't give a crap effort in producing these new editions. Sierra Madre should be ashamed of themselves for putting out garbage like this. But they haven't even addressed it really other than one little post by Phil. Which I am shocked he even bothered putting forth the effort. Nothing mentioned on KS about it. No apologies. No, we are looking into it. No we will make corrections and fix this mess we have created.

It doesn't suffice to say that "oh they are simple things you can just ignore". If I am trying to teach the game to someone, I don't want to have to say "Ignore this on these particular cards because they are a misprint". "I know it is supposed to be useful information, but it isn't". "Oh but we can print out these living rules, to pour over while we play because, well they couldn't get it right the 2nd... 3rd time". etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Social GamerMicrobadge: I store my game boxes flatMicrobadge: Deep Games fanMicrobadge: I Store Game Boxes On Their SideMicrobadge: Solitaire Gamer

It is odd: in the first edition there was only one minor error on one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrej Kojic
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 7 Wonders Duel fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion - Rebel LoyaltyMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Antiquity fanMicrobadge: Agricola fan
...This is embarrassing. Im sad i sold my first edition only to hear news that I'll be receiving a less perfect one in replacement. By the way, I am yet to receive my copy or even a message with my tracking info. It's disgraceful and absolutely sloppy to send your "2ND edition" in such poor quality. Did anyone even play test the new edition? Did they even look at the cards before shipping? because those daughter misprints should have been glaring issues if this was the case. There were even misprints in the kickstarter page display during the campaign that were corrected by supporters. My only request as a fan of this game was to make sure the misprints were correct. That was what I personally was paying for. I should have knew this was a cash grab when people asked for a rewritten rule book and the developer refused to even put in the slightest effort to revised it. The lazy behavior displayed in response to these new misprints solidifies the lack of trust I have for this publisher. If these cards are not replaced this will be the last time I support Sierra Madre or Phil Eklund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karahkwa wrote:
...This is embarrassing. Im sad i sold my first edition only to hear news that I'll be receiving a less perfect one in replacement. By the way, I am yet to receive my copy or even a message with my tracking info. It's disgraceful and absolutely sloppy to send your "2ND edition" in such poor quality. Did anyone even play test the new edition? Did they even look at the cards before shipping? because those daughter misprints should have been glaring issues if this was the case. There were even misprints in the kickstarter page display during the campaign that were corrected by supporters. My only request as a fan of this game was to make sure the misprints were correct. That was what I personally was paying for. I should have knew this was a cash grab when people asked for a rewritten rule book and the developer refused to even put in the slightest effort to revised it. The lazy behavior displayed in response to these new misprints solidifies the lack of trust I have for this publisher. If these cards are not replaced this will be the last time I support Sierra Madre or Phil Eklund.
I will likely be ALOT more discerning when it comes to SMG titles after this.
These are glaring issues and it does seem as though they should have been caught in testing. This isn't likely a manufacturer error it is a design / publisher problem.

Phil, I really love your game idea's, but starting to REALLY hate the constant edition revision with shoddy work. Please PLEASE correct this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Maria fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Out for blood - I play without mercyMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fan
I have a few more, I was waiting to complete my list before making a thread, but since you've already done it, I think I will add them here.

Box (open)
Event & Daughter side, "Bid using orange disks" and "Yellow is first player". The arrows point to the center of the card, but the information is at the bottom.

Placards
The Rank 5 Elder is called Trapper on the Vocal side and Tracker on the Tribal side. The rules and glossary only refer to the Rank 5 Elder as Trapper, so Tracker seems incorrect.

Achievements page
55+: Win Greenland with 6 elders on your placard.
Of course it should say "Neanderthal".

Rules
A2, page 3
"The leftmost icon in the middle of the turn's daughter card shows the color of the first player". It's actually on the bottom of the card (top if rotated 180°).

D7, Bid Media, page 13
"You may use only disks in your vocabulary of the color(s) shown in the middle of the card for bidding". Again, it's actually on the bottom of the card (top if rotated 180°).

E1, Note, page 15
"even if you have no longer have the precondition tools". THe first "have" should be removed.

E5, Club, page 18
"your Hunters colocated with your Alpha". I think it should say "collocated", though "colocated" seems to exist.

G1, Multiple Suitors, page 22
"counting only the vocabulary colors shown on the bid media in the center of the daughter card". Again, it's actually on the bottom of the card (top if rotated 180°).

G1, Example, page 23
"and the only effect of his successful courtship is to sends the suitor Archaic Man home unrequited". Should be "is to send".

G6, image, page 27
"Immature disc scpace". Spelling: space.

G8, image, page 29
In the image of the placard, the Rank 5 Elder is called "Tracker", but references and glossary agree that the Rank 5 Elder is called "Trapper".

Note 31, page 31
"Hundreds of mysterious "Venus" figurines, exaggerated female features, but with reduced or absent faces". Should be "with exaggerated female features".

I3, Tip, page 33
"and its possible you will never get access". Should be "it's possible".

K1, page 35
"are recorded and added to yo ur final Greenland score". There seems to be an extra space in "your".

L6c, page 40
"In the coop game (N)". It should say "(M)" because the coop variant is M. N is the Scenario Module.

L6c, page 40 vs. M, page 41
"coop variant" vs. "co-op variant". The spelling should match.

L6e, page 40
There are two full stops at the end of the paragraph instead of one.

M3a, Note, page 42
There is a quote at the end but no quote at the start. I think it should be removed.

M4, page 42
"one assimilated (M3b)". All "(M3b)" should be in bold for consistency.

N1, Table, page 43
"Archaic starts with no open brain portals but 12 Tribesmen Cro Magnon starts with a mature firestarter and 1 more portal disc of his choice in the brain, but only 4 tribesmen". 1) A full stop is missing before "Cro Magnon". 2) Why is the first tribesmen capitalized and the second isn't? Neither appears in the Glossary, so I believe both should be lowercase.

N1, Table, page 43
"To go tribal you need 7 disks in your brain". There is only room for 6, how should the 7th be added?

Rules, Back cover
"Copyright 3rd Edition". Of course this is the second edition.

Edit: to clarify, as the OP says, these are all easy errors to ignore, it's just that I noticed, so I thought sharing them would have helped fix some.

Edit 2: removed the question about the Cave Bear. The card says it's vegetarian, so there is no reason to think it could be a predator.

Edit 3: corrections.

Edit 4: added a new mistake in the achievements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Be Excellent To Each Other
Microbadge: A Clockwork Orange fanMicrobadge: Sci Fi Games fanMicrobadge: The owls are not what they seem...Microbadge: Snowdonia fanMicrobadge: The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire fan
There is nothing minor about errors for games that are already complex and hard to teach. I can only assume the people saying this know how to play the game after using earlier editions that somehow had far fewer errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Maria fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Out for blood - I play without mercyMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fan
OliverOil wrote:
There is nothing minor about errors for games that are already complex and hard to teach. I can only assume the people saying this know how to play the game after using earlier editions that somehow had far fewer errors.
I understand your concern and while I learned the game using this version I cannot say you aren't right. But some mistakes do not affect learning in any way (extra spaces, extra punctuation, slightly inconsistent highlighting). I'm simply trained at finding this stuff, so I noticed.

Translating computer and mobile games, I'd say this isn't much worse then the average English game text, if we count number of mistakes per words of text (the rules are more than 12k words). OK, in almost all cases there is at least one round of Q&A after I get involved, but even here mistakes are prevalent in the most recent parts (changes from 1st edition, variants).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede__ wrote:
OliverOil wrote:
I understand your concern and while I learned the game using this version I cannot say you aren't right. But some mistakes do not affect learning in any way (extra spaces, extra punctuation, slightly inconsistent highlighting). I'm simply trained at finding this stuff, so I noticed.

Translating computer and mobile games, I'd say this isn't much worse then the average English game text, if we count number of mistakes per words of text (the rules are more than 12k words). OK, in almost all cases there is at least one round of Q&A after I get involved, but even here mistakes are prevalent in the most recent parts (changes from 1st edition, variants).
Sure, most of what you posted is probably no big deal. The card errors, etc that the OP posted on the other hand... this game is challenging to learn... is it really reasonable for me to take this to a game day with a list of strays for cards that have key game elements wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Movement for Smaller GameboxesMicrobadge: Innovation Deluxe fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2017 Alphabet board game challenge!
darzininkas wrote:
It would be nic to have an official pdf in version (as printed and/or after the errata.
I don't have anything against living rules as WIP, but having at least one "stable" version in PDF representing pronted manual is convienient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D.
United States
flag msg tools
Sola Fide.
badge
Remembering the men of the USS Frank E. Evans.
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Rifles in the Ardennes fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Presbyterian Church (USA)Microbadge: Fields of Fire fan
Thanks for doing this, Phil. I was trying to keep a running list on the KS page, but it grew too quickly to keep up. Putting it here solves the issue. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Eeeeexcellent
Microbadge: Mario Mushroom fanMicrobadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: 1-Up
My copy is still held up in Hong Kong(?) and this just adds to the disappointment. Very unfortunate that this was not caught by proof-readers.

Considering the myriad problems the SMG team has had with fulfillment, I highly doubt this will be rectified for existing backers/owners.

However, I'm sure we'll be able to buy it again when the 3rd edition comes out! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: Dog loverMicrobadge: Horrified by the Invisible ManMicrobadge: Ren & Stimpy fanMicrobadge: A dingo ate my baby!

Absolutely. This is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For those that didn't see it, SMG posted this in the Kickstarter comments:

[quote]
Thank you for still being a supporter

We just recently found out about the misprints, there should not have been any misprints but unfortunately mistakes happens. The first thing we will be doing is having the cards corrected and available for download. We are then trying to figure out how we can solve this in a sufficient way. We will keep backers updated.

/Besime
[/quote]

These are my first Kickstarter games, so I have no prior experience. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt to come up with a solution before breaking out my torch and pitchfork. I'm hoping it's a fair one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D.
United States
flag msg tools
Sola Fide.
badge
Remembering the men of the USS Frank E. Evans.
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Rifles in the Ardennes fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Presbyterian Church (USA)Microbadge: Fields of Fire fan
wademoore wrote:

[quote]
We just recently found out about the misprints, [...]
[/quote]
This is the most frustrating thing to read. The errata was being reported two weeks ago and has continued to be raised, multiple times, by several of us as we continued to be ignored. These misprints aren't what killed SMG for me. This lack of care or concern is. (Edited to fix typo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Microbadge: Look!Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: Look!
SpiderFighter wrote:
wademoore wrote:

[quote]
We just recently found out about the misprints, [...]
[/quote]
This is the most frustrating thing to read. The errata was being reported two weeks ago and has continued to be raised, multiple times, by several of us as we continued to be ignored. This misprints aren't what killed SMG for me. This lack of care or concern is.
Thank you all so much for raising these concerns. It is disappointing when I was looking forward to getting these games so much. I was going to back the new KS for an updated version of Porfiriana and BIOS: Origins but I will hold off to see if/how SMG deals with these issues first. If there aren't replacement components offered for these projects, then I won't be able to risk backing again. At the very least I would expect replacement components for a nominal cost of shipping; I realize that this would be unacceptable still to many and I understand that feeling completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Innovation Deluxe and The World of Smog had similar issues, both games printed errata - but it took a couple of months. Hopefully we'll have something more concrete by the end of the week (given the outcry, the responses to the situation do give the impression that errata'd material will be printed).

They are also having to deal with Floship delivering slow, and having to push forward with a planned KS, let alone having to plan the logistics of fixing/printing/shipping replacements to 4000+ backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Struck
Brazil
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation fan
Fede__ wrote:
I have a few more, I was waiting to complete my list before making a thread, but since you've already done it, I think I will add them here.

Box (open)
Event & Daughter side, "Bid using orange disks" and "Yellow is first player". The arrows point to the center of the card, but the information is at the bottom.

Placards
The Rank 5 Elder is called Trapper on the Vocal side and Tracker on the Tribal side. The rules and glossary only rfer to the Rank 5 Elder as Trapper, so Tracker seems incorrect.

Rules
A2, page 3
"The leftmost icon in the middle of the turn's daughter card shows the color of the first player". It's actually on the bottom of the card (top if rotated 180°).

D7, Bid Media, page 11
"You may use only disks in your vocabulary of the color(s) shown in the middle of the card for bidding". Again, it's actually on the bottom of the card (top if rotated 180°).

E1, Note, page 13
"even if you have no longer have the precondition tools". THe first "have" should be removed.

E5, Club, page 18
"your Hunters colocated with your Alpha". I think it should say "collocated", though "colocated" seems to exist.

G1, Multiple Suitors, page 22
"counting only the vocabulary colors shown on the bid media in the center of the daughter card". Again, it's actually on the bottom of the card (top if rotated 180°).

G1, Example, page 23
"and the only effect of his successful courtship is to sends the suitor Archaic Man home unrequited". Should be "is to send".

G6, image, page 27
"Immature disc scpace". Spelling: space.

G8, image, page 29
In the image of the placard, the Rank 5 Elder is called "Tracker", but references and glossary agree that the Rank 5 Elder is called "Trapper".

Note 31, page 31
"Hundreds of mysterious "Venus" figurines, exaggerated female features, but with reduced or absent faces". Should be "with exaggerated female features".

I3, Tip, page 33
"and its possible you will never get access". Should be "it's possible".

K1, page 35
"are recorded and added to yo ur final Greenland score". There seems to be an extra space in "your".

L6c, page 40
"In the coop game (N)". It should say "(M)" because the coop variant is M. N is the Scenario Module.

L6c, page 40 vs. M, page 41
"coop variant" vs. "co-op variant". The spelling should match.

L6e, page 40
There are two full stops at the end of the paragraph instead of one.

M3a, Note, page 42
There is a quote at the end but no quote at the start. I think it should be removed.

M4, page 42
"one assimilated (M3b)". All "(M3b)" should be in bold for consistency.

N1, Table, page 43
"Archaic starts with no open brain portals but 12 Tribesmen Cro Magnon starts with a mature firestarter and 1 more portal disc of his choice in the brain, but only 4 tribesmen". 1) A full stop is missing before "Cro Magnon". 2) Why is the first tribesmen capitalized and the second isn't? Neither appears in the Glossary, so I believe both should be lowercase.

N1, Table, page 43
"To go tribal you need 7 disks in your brain". There is only room for 6, how should the 7th be added?

Rules, Back cover
"Copyright 3rd Edition". Of course this is the second edition.

Edit: to clarify, as the OP says, these are all easy errors to ignore, it's just that I noticed, so I thought sharing them would have helped fix some.

Edit 2: removed the question about the Cave Bear. The card says it's vegetarian, so there is no reason to think it could be a predator.
Correcting the correction.

D7, Bid Media, page 11
- it's page 13

E1, Note, page 13
- it's page 15

Tell me if I'm wrong, because I checked with the PDF, since I haven't received the game yet. Maybe the page numbering is different.
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |