12 Posts

Barrage» Forums » General

Subject: Is it similar to Power Grid or Brass? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was wondering how similar this game is to Power grid or Brass.
Is it the same feeling?
Does someone know?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No auctions, no card play. It's worker placement with a resource/action rondel mechanism. You don't lose your resources, however when you use an action that requires resources (like building a dam), the action token and resources go on a rondel that won't come back to you until, at most, 5 other actions are placed on the rondel - the rondel has 6 spots and works like a conveyer. Every action tile you use pushes the previous action tiles down the conveyer. Once they get past the 6th spot, the action tile and any resources that were on it are available for use again.

Only 5 rounds in the game, certain spots will get tight depending on the round. Contract cards and other actions will give you "energy" that helps with end of round scoring. Don't produce enough and you lose points. Produce too much and the only thing you get is an addition coin or two. All energy is lost at the end of the game.

of course, the most interesting part is the cascading of the water (droplets) from basin to basin, some getting captured by dams, some being lost because not enough structures were built to hold the water.

Very thinky game and the board with all of the spots and permutations of water usage/drainage can certainly lead to AP issues starting mid-game. Very good game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is an auctioning game, and there are no auctions in Barrage.
Brass is centered around card play, and there are no cards in Barrage.

I’d compare Barrage to Brass in some ways though, because of the logistic planning and tight budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers.
I like this game, but I am not sure if to do the pledge now or to wait for the retailers and look at more videos about the gameplay. I already own Lorenzo il Magnifico and The Voyage of Marco Polo and they are excellent games, thus I imagine it will be excellent also this one.
I also own several heavy or medium euro games (Dominant Species,Terra Mystic, Puerto Rico, Caylus, Florenza, Troyes, Keyflower, Power Grid, Brass: Birmingham, Agricola...) and I like them very much, but I struggle to find time to play them. If I will buy a new one, I would like it was really different from the others or at least that the feeling was different.
I am not sure this one is like this. But I must admit it looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barrage really doesn't remind me of any of the games you've mentioned. The way water flows and the way time is used as a resource aren't similar to any mechanisms present in any of the games you own so I think Barrage would definitely have a different feel compared to anything already in your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who still hasnt read the rules, is it at all similar to Dos Rios with the cascading water mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have dowloaded the rulebook. I will give a look at it before to decide.
Yes the water flow is something unique, it is true.
I hoped to finish my pledges with Bios: Origins 2....instead this game appears at the horizon now..and I like even the theme.
Dos Rios? I am curious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
i know that in general, the two games appear to be quite different, but i was curious if the water flowing mechanic behaved similarly between the 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the videos I looked at the water flows from the top up to the bottom: basically from the mountains up to the valley. It is only stopped by the dams (if they are built or they are already on the map). it depends on how high the dam is if only one drop or two drops (perhaps more drops even, not sure) are stopped....Sometimes the water can go back due to a pump system, at least a gamer explained that on youtube. When the water is stopped from the dams and there are conduits the water follows them and it does not flow anymore up to the valley. Then if there are plants the water flows up to the plants through the conduits and its power is used to create electrical current. That was what I understood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
i know that in general, the two games appear to be quite different, but i was curious if the water flowing mechanic behaved similarly between the 2.

From a cursory glance at Dos Rios it doesn't seem like there's much over lap in the mechanisms.

In Dos Rios the water seems to be completely free form in how it can move and the focus is more about redirecting the river on to new routes so that you can score your own tiles.

In Barrage the water movement is much more on rails in that you're confined to the four rivers on the board. It's less about redirecting water (though that is part of the game) and more about getting yourself in position to trap the water as it comes down stream since water in Barrage is a finite commodity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seems like the game has some similarities to Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar.

Same designer for that game and barrage.

Both have a mechanism where resources are tied up in a "wheel".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
slyde wrote:

From a cursory glance at Dos Rios it doesn't seem like there's much over lap in the mechanisms.

In Dos Rios the water seems to be completely free form in how it can move and the focus is more about redirecting the river on to new routes so that you can score your own tiles.

In Barrage the water movement is much more on rails in that you're confined to the four rivers on the board. It's less about redirecting water (though that is part of the game) and more about getting yourself in position to trap the water as it comes down stream since water in Barrage is a finite commodity.

thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.