Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Android/iOS beta looks delayed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark King
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After spending the whole month checking the beta test page every day I have just noticed it no longer lists the Android/iOS beta as "October" and is now just "soon"

Guess it's been delayed due to the issues on the PC launch drawing focus away. Let's hope it isn't too long.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgeir
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
While a tablet version would make me play it a lot more, I waiting to see when expansions will be available for any version and what the final price will be. The initial price felt a bit much without expansions, especially since all playing must have their own copy.


//T
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
What did you expect? All software projects have budget and schedule overruns, nothing new.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teorino wrote:
Guess it's been delayed due to the issues on the PC launch drawing focus away. Let's hope it isn't too long.
I'd rather hope that they address all the issues from the PC version. If it takes longer to get it right, so be it. Rushing an inferior version out the door isn't a good decision.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Teorino wrote:
Guess it's been delayed due to the issues on the PC launch drawing focus away. Let's hope it isn't too long.
I'd rather hope that they address all the issues from the PC version. If it takes longer to get it right, so be it. Rushing an inferior version out the door isn't a good decision.


Agreed!

I am playing a lot of tm digital, but really the game is just broken and i felt like paying to play an open beta version...

gonna keep playing and complaining until things are fixed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gonzalez
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
what's broken?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone give it a go after today's update?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Teorino wrote:
Guess it's been delayed due to the issues on the PC launch drawing focus away. Let's hope it isn't too long.
I'd rather hope that they address all the issues from the PC version. If it takes longer to get it right, so be it. Rushing an inferior version out the door isn't a good decision.


Agreed!

I am playing a lot of tm digital, but really the game is just broken and i felt like paying to play an open beta version...

gonna keep playing and complaining until things are fixed.
The game is far from "broken" but there is a lot of cleaning up to do. Foremost in my mind is an "undo" function a la Scythe - altho' that's a straight omission not a glitch.

Some issues are debatable; for example, when you play a card that has the effect of giving you a rebate on something it's not clear how that is applied. The displayed card cost might be shown as already adjusted but unless you know what the raw card cost was, you're never sure, especially with the current release.

Unlike most pass and play games, this one doesn't let you name the humans or select their colour - it's workable but another sign of the unfinished nature of the current release. Unlike Scythe (the inevitable comparison point right now), the option to select a Corps, and assign them to the 'bots, or opt for the current random assignment, seems to be another obvious omission. Although on that front, I'm beginning to suspect that the level you assign to the 'bots plays into the current Corps assignment (a poor-man's way of varying the 'bot's competitiveness) - I exclusively play with the "hard" setting and, as such, I'm nearly always up against both Ecoline and Tharsis, neither of which I've ever been assigned. One of the devs must have read that those are competitive - showing the gulf between players and coders...

I'm playing it a lot and like most of what's there but it's true that it comes across very much as an expensive Beta II product at this stage. Reading the current plan for the latest hot-fix doesn't impress me that the avalanche of PTRs they must be generating will be addressed anytime soon. Sounds like the early adopters' usual blues, yes? My fear is that eventually, when it finally becomes stable, Steam will offer it at a discount like Terra Mystica.

"Never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over..."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark King
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's all true Richard but I believe there are still cards out there that simply do not function correctly.

I can live with UI & AI issues but there are currently 3 points stopping me from buying on Steam.

1. Cards that don't work - I would argue the game is unfinished in this regard
2. Lack of drafting - Increases the luck factor too much for me as a vital layer of strategy is missing
3. Price - Given 1 and 2, it's simply too expensive
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
Go Sox Go!
badge
Dream car
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teorino wrote:
I can live with UI & AI issues but there are currently 3 points stopping me from buying on Steam.

1. Cards that don't work - I would argue the game is unfinished in this regard
2. Lack of drafting - Increases the luck factor too much for me as a vital layer of strategy is missing
3. Price - Given 1 and 2, it's simply too expensive


This is my exact sentiment - if everything is not working 100% the price is too damn high.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve never known any software product that came out 100% perfect regardless of price - but I appreciate the hyperbole...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Computer games used to be without bugs from the start. Then came the internet

I still remember buying Baldur's Gate 1 back in the days and being surprised about the fact that I needed to download and install patches.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Dyer
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Has there been a recent release date update?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Pro
Peru
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hoogard wrote:
Computer games used to be without bugs from the start. Then came the internet

I still remember buying Baldur's Gate 1 back in the days and being surprised about the fact that I needed to download and install patches.


No bugs in old games???
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
turboraton wrote:
Hoogard wrote:
Computer games used to be without bugs from the start. Then came the internet

I still remember buying Baldur's Gate 1 back in the days and being surprised about the fact that I needed to download and install patches.


No bugs in old games???


In relative terms
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoogard wrote:
turboraton wrote:
Hoogard wrote:
Computer games used to be without bugs from the start. Then came the internet

I still remember buying Baldur's Gate 1 back in the days and being surprised about the fact that I needed to download and install patches.


No bugs in old games???


In relative terms
”No bugs” cannot be relative. No bugs means no bugs. The post meant to say “fewer bugs” surely. How many fewer, now, can be viewed relatively from “way, way fewer” through to “somewhat fewer. Discuss...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, you're correct in that an individual game can either be bug-free, or not, so only two alternatives.

However, if you look at the distribution of games you'd find more games that were bug-free, and overall fewer bugs in total.

Now, what I was really getting to though was the number of "game-breaking bugs", not minor once-in-a-blue-moon-glitches.

Discuss...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Dyer
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a recent release date update for the iOS or Android versions of Terraforming Mars? The conversation has taken a very unrelatedly turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
Todd_22 wrote:
Does anyone have a recent release date update for the iOS or Android versions of Terraforming Mars? The conversation has taken a very unrelatedly turn.

I'm pretty sure there is no news about the iOS/Android release. The beta for it still hasn't started; my guess is they're working on getting the PC version stable before they translate that code to the mobile versions.

My guess for the timeline will be planned December update to the PC version fixes most bugs, late December or early January the mobile beta starts, and then actual mobile release in late Jan or Feb. But that's just speculation.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not seeing much news regarding this coming out on iOS. Losing hope... cry
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been listed as "coming soon" on the asmodee beta test site for nearly 3 months. Meanwhile other games in the "coming soon" section went to beta test within days or weeks.

Total speculation here:

The steam reviews were very critical and asmodee likely realized that they could not release the mobile version in its present state. Reviews/ratings have a greater influence on mobile sales. They likely opted to go back and address all the issues before attempting the mobile release. Drafting was added in mid December but most reviews are still complaining about how buggy the game is. I suspect that we will see another steam release within a month or two that addresses most of the bugs. I also think it will likely be included in the next steam sale to get more users (aka testers). If the reception is better then I would expect the mobile beta to start shortly thereafter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rakete Mensch
msg tools
It looks like there’s a new beta for PC as of las week, which includes drafting. I totally agree that it’s necessary, and I also feel like it’s a sign that they’re getting near being comfortable enough with the PC client, which would hopefully mean getting back to mobile.

Hopefully.

As a dev I can totally understand wanting to get tons of broken things working on one platform before breaking the complexity out over many.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.