Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Fairbrother
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does Frodo's invisibility allow him to share a square with another piece, in order to sneak past?

I hope not, as this would be a bit clumsy. If not though, it means that Frodo can be blocked from Mount Doom by pieces he cannot defeat, particularly strongholds. Putting strongholds outside Mount Doom would be a standard tactic for the evil player, requiring other pieces like Soldiers of Gondor to help Frodo out. This isn't really in the spirit of the story.

Anyone have any idea which is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Malmloff
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Rules clarification - Ringbearer
Apollo 8 (#36344),

My understanding of the rules is that no 2 pieces can ever occupy the same space. So Frodo can not share a square.
You are correct strongholds can be placed so that 1 of the 2 Mount Doom entrances is blocked. The other Mount Doom entrance is in "no man's land" so an evil player cannot setup a stronghold to block that entrance to Mount Doom.

-Mal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fairbrother
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Rules clarification - Ringbearer
-Mal- (#36474),

Well I suppose one could represent the tower of Cirith Ungol...

Having re-read the rules a few times, what you say is (almost) obviously the case. Frodo's invisibility is not really an ability but an automatic game mechanic which prevents his capture by everything apart from the Witch-king and the Ringwraiths. Thanks for reassuring me.

Frodo can therefore be safely used as another (short range) 'detect' if the location of the Witch-king and Ringwraiths is known. Just make sure he can run to Gandalf/Aragorn/Eowyn if things get nasty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apollo 8 wrote:
-Mal- (#36474),

Frodo can therefore be safely used as another (short range) 'detect' if the location of the Witch-king and Ringwraiths is known. Just make sure he can run to Gandalf/Aragorn/Eowyn if things get nasty!

I think, there should be some kind of sanction/punishment for Frodo using the ring - with the intention of discouraging such a non-thematic and game-unbalancing behaviour of the Ring-Bearer. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.