Popular Tags: photos [+] [View All]
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right. A pipe burst in my appartment last week. But it's worse than that even.

A cold water-in pipe (hey, it could have been sewage!) developed a fatally corrosive spot underneath the foundation of my studio approximately three feet inside the front door. The water followed the pipe back to where the foundation meets the wall and the sidewalk outside. It decided through sheer dumb luck to come back inside rather than go spilling outside.

But really, that would not have mattered too much. I would have been spared the water damage to some of my game books and movies but the rest of the calamity would still have taken place.

Remember how I said it broke underneath the foundation which was underneath my entry? Well, they needed to get at it one way or another. They just happened to choose a jack-hammer...

That was my kitchen. The missing spaces are where the diswasher and stove used to be. One of the guys just brought my stove back a few minutes ago...

Something I had forgot to mention. I was woken up to the maintanance guys coming inside my appartment in the morning. The water had run into the neighbor's kitchen and she had called them. They figured out it was coming from inside my place so they knocked once, figured I was gone and came in. I jumped out of bed into an inch of water and large stomached men in my living room.... That sinking feeling was the realization that NO, I was not in fact still dreaming.

The image below shows not only the hole and water but also the large part of the room that is missing carpet. We simply ripped it out and got rid of it since it was completely water-logged. That is an upshot... I have new carpet. I took some good pictures of how when I came home from work the other day ALL MY STUFF was OUTSIDE while they were puttin in the new carpet. I was a little upset about that but, oh well, at least it got done and nothing was damaged.

The next picture gets into why this pertains to games. In a studio appartment space is obviously limited so storing a large game collection is sort of tricky. I had installed shelving under what is ostensibly a "bar". I had most of the books related to my games down on the ground level since they are so much more heavy than the boxes. These books included my RPG books, Heavy Gear, Battletech (many of which I've had since about 1988) general gaming reference books, etc.

Even so, I'm not too terribly upset. Other recent events in my life have given me a different perspective on such things. I didn't really know I had this new perspective until this happened. The guys working on the problem were telling me they didn't understand why I was so calm. They said that anyone else would be (and always did) yelling at them about it. I told them I knew it wasn't their fault, they were trying to help me so why should I yell about it? The damage is done, just get it cleaned up and get on with it. Then I went and played Pokemon on my DS while the jack-hammer rattled the whole building.

I will say, however that the next two images make me rather upset. Of all the books and VHS tapes that were on the floor and recieved damage the worst are the next two. They are the two book set entitled "The Realm of Chaos" by Games Workshop. There were two books in this set, "Slaves to Darkness" and "The Lost and the Damned". Though the info in them is long since defunct from a rules perspective they were beautiful books. I treasured them since the day I first saw them so long ago. Now look at them....

One thing that I just about had a heart attack over was my Crokinole board. I had taken it out to a bar a few nights before and hadn't gotten around to hanging it up yet. It was sitting in the bag directly in the lake that was my kitchen soaking up water! I grabbed it out and tried to dry it off. The particle board on the bottom did swell very slightly but not enough to actually change the shape. It's actually not even noticable unless it's pointed out. If that board had gottten damaged I would NOT have been calm at all.
As you can see in the next picture it's hanging up safe and sound on the wall. This picture also shows how no it's like I never even moved in! YAY I get to move in to the same place TWICE!

First order of business is to get this mess untangled so that I can check my geekmail....

So, boys and girls, let this be a lesson to you. Keep in mind where the pipes in your walls and floors are when storing your collection. If you must store them on the floor try to keep them raised up a bit. I'm going to construct a little riser shelf for that area. Not as if it's likely to happen again but once bitten twice shy as they say.

Here's hoping this doesn't happen to any of you!

Good day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
I will say, however that the next two images make me rather upset. Of all the books and VHS tapes that were on the floor and recieved damage the worst are the next two. They are the two book set entitled "The Realm of Chaos" by Games Workshop. There were two books in this set, "Slaves to Darkness" and "The Lost and the Damned". Though the info in them is long since defunct from a rules perspective they were beautiful books. I treasured them since the day I first saw them so long ago. Now look at them....

That's horrible! I ebay'ed those two books for $100 each a few years back. Sad to see such collectibles damaged this way.

Fortunately, your renter's insurance should cover replacements for the replaceable stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
That's horrible! I ebay'ed those two books for $100 each a few years back. Sad to see such collectibles damaged this way.

Yikes! I knew that I loved them but I didn't realize the sentiment was widespread.

Quote:
Fortunately, your renter's insurance should cover replacements for the replaceable stuff.

Uh, yeah. About that... I don't have insurance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
abrannan wrote:

Yikes! I knew that I loved them but I didn't realize the sentiment was widespread.

Yeah, the 40K fluff-nuts eat those two books up, as they're one of the only places that mention the Star-Child, the Sensei, and the Illuminati.

Quote:

Quote:

Uh, yeah. About that... I don't have insurance...

But I'll bet you'll look into getting some after this fiasco, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Sorry to hear about the books and no insurance. Be glad you are not the homeowner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That's just awful. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Wow. That's just awful. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

What he said. Man that's horrible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
So, boys and girls, let this be a lesson to you. Keep in mind where the pipes in your walls and floors are when storing your collection. If you must store them on the floor try to keep them raised up a bit. I'm going to construct a little riser shelf for that area. Not as if it's likely to happen again but once bitten twice shy as they say.

I had three different places I lived in flood at some point within 7 years, the first three apartments I lived in after I first got married. I know the feeling of waking up in the morning and stepping out of bed into a bunch of water. And I know the feeling of waking up in the morning, then going downstairs and stepping into water. Even worse, I know the feeling of having my neighbors call me while on vacation and say that the disaster recovery guys are in my place because it all flooded while I was away on vacation.

It sucks. And it can definitely happen again. For what it's worth, my games are all on very high shelves in the tops of closets, even the ones on the second floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dasler
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that really sucks, but I have to applaud your attitude about it. Bravo, sir, bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're resigned to the books' fate, then I might suggest putting them in a warm oven for a while to dry them out. That's what butlers do when the morning paper gets a little over-dewed or is left to the ravages of the sprinklers.

Or you can do this...

http://www2.lib.udel.edu/Preservation/wet_books.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:
I had three different places I lived in flood at some point within 7 years.........It sucks. And it can definitely happen again. For what it's worth, my games are all on very high shelves in the tops of closets, even the ones on the second floor.

Ugh... Sorry about your luck, man. That sucks. I suppose maybe I ought to rethink this. I do have a bit of room on a shelf. Kind of. I'd rather not waste that space. I suppose I could just throw the cat food and the vacuum down there.

Thanks to you all for the symathetic words. Like I said it wasn't that bad other than those few books and the inconvenience of it all. It could have been sewage and as someone else pointed out at least I don't own the place. I know this is absolutely nothing compared to losing your home to a real flood or fire or something. I'm not trying to compare and get sympathy. I just want to make others aware or how they store their games and other geeky collectibles (as well as heirlooms etc) so when the unexpected happens your losses might be minimized.

I think I'm going to head up to Bridgetown Hobbies and treat myself today. I deserve it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a similar situation in our garage. Tree roots cause our washing machine discharge to back up into my garage from time to time. Metal shelves are now my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
If you're resigned to the books' fate, then I might suggest putting them in a warm oven for a while to dry them out. That's what butlers do when the morning paper gets a little over-dewed or is left to the ravages of the sprinklers.

Or you can do this...

http://www2.lib.udel.edu/Preservation/wet_books.htm

Good info to have.

Also I've heard that professional document restorers will throw everything into an insta-freezer within 24 hours so that they can either freeze dry them or take other measures to save them at a later date. The freezing prevents mold and I assume warping but I am not sure how the ice crystals would affect the structure... I'll have to look into it I suppose. Not for me, it's far too late for any of that to help me now, it's just interesting.

I wonder if a regular home freezer would be good enough to do this with? I suppose it might. But what do you do with it once it's frozen...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Barnard
United Kingdom
Tadcaster
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
All aboard the 'B' Ark! Priority boarding for bankers and HR staff!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have my sympathy.

I was renting a flat a few years ago and I returned after a weekend away to find a pipe had burst in the flat above and water had poured for hours directly onto a bookcase on which I had stacked my games collection. The boxes were totally soaked and even though I dried them all out they weren't worth keeping. Unfortunately height off the ground doesn't always help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret,

When I first saw the title of this post, I thought that you enjoyed smoking a little weed before you boardgamed.

I feel for you buddy! One of my biggest fears is for my house to flood. I can't imagine all the damage something like that can cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I jumped out of bed into an inch of water and large stomached men in my living room....
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Best of luck with repairs. At least you don't sleep naked or it would've been worse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:

I have to say, those two pictures really hurt. It almost makes me weep. Those books are really valuable.

But in the end, it's just books and games. I hope you get your house fixed quickly, because that's what matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's it then.

I just got a new dishwasher installed. And with that they are done with me.
Nice guys but I hope I never have to see them again.

New vinyl floor.
New carpet.
New dishwasher.
A chance to reorganize properly.
Only two real book losses and even at that the information is still viable.
A week's worth of not paying rent.
A good story to tell and the pictures to go with it...
All in all not bad.

I must say though that these tales of multiple floods and water raining down from the celieng has gotten me spooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manfredini
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Check out Island Siege!
badge
Geekmail me for a Venture Forth promo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how you feel, although not to the same extent. Years ago, I once lost a bulk of Star Wars CCG cards to a leaky roof. Fortunately, if I wanted them back, I can pick them up dirt cheap nowadays.

I feel for you, man! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Manfredini wrote:
I know how you feel, although not to the same extent. Years ago, I once lost a bulk of Star Wars CCG cards to a leaky roof. Fortunately, if I wanted them back, I can pick them up dirt cheap nowadays.

I feel for you, man! soblue

Oh, I forgot to include pictures of my cards that got messed up. I had two of the "long" boxes. One was full of nothing but Blood Wars cards and the other was a mix of MtG and Pokemon cards. The MtG ones were NOT from when I played back in 93 but rather some newer sets we had gotten a few years ago. Nothing big. It's not like my Beta Moxes were in there or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I would totally shave the cost of those old GW books off your next rent-check, if I were you. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
At least you don't sleep naked or it would've been worse!

Who said I don't? surprise
I had the good fortune of having not kicked the covers off and the wherewithal to grab a pair of pants and slip them on under the sheets before I got up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Gah, bummer you didn't have one of those tiny metal wrenches from Waterworks!

(In all seriousness, though, bummer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
goo I would totally shave the cost of those old GW books off your next rent-check, if I were you. goo

Unfortunately I don't think that's up to me, nor do I believe it's even an option. I am currently looking into it with a lawyer friend. However, I'm not willing to push it too far as it's really not worth it so much if it goes into any sort of litigation. The most I would be looking to get would be about $300 US on the very outside and that's if everything went perfectly. I'm just not willing to fght it at this point.

Yes, this does say something about the legal system in the US. What, exactly, that is I'm not sure....
I think it means that "they" are winning... But maybe it also means that I am shedding my materialism...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teriyaki Donuts wrote:
Nazhuret,

When I first saw the title of this post, I thought that you enjoyed smoking a little weed before you boardgamed.

Ha! No... I can't do that. I drink a lot of beer when I game but the ganja just fucks me up bad. Even for those than can handle it... I don't like playing with people that smoke it while we're playing. It just gets stupid.

As a side note, I'm always confused when non-gamers assume I smoke pot when I tell them I play a ton of video games. It makes me instantly know that they have neither:
A) Smoked pot ever
OR
B) Never played a video game

I don't care what type of game you're talking about from Frogger through Civilization through Half Life through Pokemon... You just can't play effectively when on that shit. Same with booze if not more so. Can you imagine playing a three to five hour session of any Elder Scrolls game while drunk or stoned? Next time you played you'd be, like, "What...? What the hell happened last time..? What am I supposed to be doing?" Not to mention the lack of motor skills and puzzle solving.

Anyway, I guess I'm derailing my own thread....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.