Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Przemyslaw Gumulka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the base game (including expansion) fit into the expansion box? It seems quite big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ans
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion box is too narrow to fit the base games map. I put everything into the base game box and it is almost full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Gumulka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hoped to get rid of the ugly box from the base game. Thx for the answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
What's to dislike about the look of the base game box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sexist Troll
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
The blade will not exist if it is taken from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:

The cover art. It is horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
Subjective, I really like it. It's atmospheric and thematic. Also, I have no issues with the rendering technique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sexist Troll
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To each their own, I guess. I know several people who were put off by or held back from this great game for a while because of the cover. It is one of the favourites of my significant other by now, but when she saw the box the first time, she asked: "why do you even own such an ugly game?" Then I taught her the game and she understood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Base game cover sucks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
It’s not so much that I don’t like it, more that it doesn’t seem to fit the game. It’s all brooding and dark, then you open the box and it’s a bright daylight board and colourful cows. The cover for ... I wanna say Holland? ... has a brighter colour pallet but the same picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple Realty dropped a polite hint about needing the expansion for "product research" which I really hope turns into an organizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
It’s not so much that I don’t like it, more that it doesn’t seem to fit the game. It’s all brooding and dark, then you open the box and it’s a bright daylight board and colourful cows. The cover for ... I wanna say Holland? ... has a brighter colour pallet but the same picture.
It's not a cartoony artwork like Pioneer Days or Colt Express, though. And it's a "serious" Western theme, not a swashbuckling gunslinger adventure game. I think, the cover fits the theme perfectly. Not that I dislike the one from the expansion, but a bright, cartoony look I would not have liked for this game.

UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
Meeple Realty dropped a polite hint about needing the expansion for "product research" which I really hope turns into an organizer.
Like mentioned before, the base game would never fit into the expansion box, unless you cut the main board in two pieces. Now, who would like to do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Gumulka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite shocked that smb likes this artwork! Everyone in our group of about a dozen people consider it terrible. I don't mind gloomy feeling, quite contrary. The composition, color palette, rendering - it's just horrible. Faces don't look like real people. More like the same (artificial) man with different beards and hats. Reddish brown is not pleasant to look at either Expansion artwork is much better, hence the idea about the switch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sexist Troll
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I find it "creepy", but not in a gloomy way. It is the same "naïve" art style as the one that is used in products issued by Jehovah's Witnesses. Also, you can come across the same painting style on 20th century frescoes of Catholic churches in small villages in the deep countryside.

Now, if I may pick just two titles from Matthias' favourites to illustrate what quality cover I would like to see on the box cover of GWT:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

They can easily order it from a Canadian or European OLGS if they want it sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Raps
Netherlands
Alphen aan den Rijn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kissgg wrote:
Susumu wrote:

The cover art. It is horrible.

Are these better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these covers are both better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Campbell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
melee wrote:
I'm quite shocked that smb likes this artwork! Everyone in our group of about a dozen people consider it terrible. I don't mind gloomy feeling, quite contrary. The composition, color palette, rendering - it's just horrible. Faces don't look like real people. More like the same (artificial) man with different beards and hats. Reddish brown is not pleasant to look at either Expansion artwork is much better, hence the idea about the switch.

I've spent some time looking at that box and trying to figure out what happened...I suspect that the 3 people on the cover are in black and white instead of color because the original version of that art looks terrible in color. I've never seen the art in color, but the rest of the decisions in that box art make more sense if trying to fix that art is the starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryle wrote:
+1 Base game cover sucks

What's wrong with three creepy dudes gazing at you with soulless eyes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K.
United States
Imperial
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm going to put everything in the base game box. I'm just not sure how to organize it. The rules don't really specify if some of the new components were intended to be used as modules. For example, if I play a game without the new rails, could I still use the new components that don't reference the rails portion of the game? Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal, in which case I'll just take all the new player components and throw them in the individual player bag so it's all together, and mix the station tiles in w/ the rest, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorlbs wrote:
I'm going to put everything in the base game box. I'm just not sure how to organize it. The rules don't really specify if some of the new components were intended to be used as modules. For example, if I play a game without the new rails, could I still use the new components that don't reference the rails portion of the game? Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal, in which case I'll just take all the new player components and throw them in the individual player bag so it's all together, and mix the station tiles in w/ the rest, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean. All of the new components work with the new train tracks. The only thing that COULD be modularized are the double draw a card and discard a card tokens. And even then, just giving one to each player at the beginning is not much of a module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Raps
Netherlands
Alphen aan den Rijn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorlbs wrote:
The rules don't really specify if some of the new components were intended to be used as modules.

The rules do not specify the components as modules, because they aren't modules.
It's a complete expansion.
You use everything from the expansion or nothing.

The only sensible thing you can do when playing without the expansion board, is randomly selecting 5 from the 9 (!!) usable station master tiles.
And maybe use building 11.
Building 12 is not usable when playing without the expansion board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronnay wrote:
jorlbs wrote:
The rules don't really specify if some of the new components were intended to be used as modules.

The rules do not specify the components as modules, because they aren't modules.

The only sensible thing you can do when playing without the expansion board, is randomly selecting 5 from the 9 (!!) usable station master tiles.

This. But who the hell wants to deliver to Detroit and Cleveland anyway?laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K.
United States
Imperial
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ronnay wrote:
jorlbs wrote:

Yeah, admittedly, it was a petty question, but i'm just curious what others are doing. so when you are done playing a round w/ your expansion, you are going to go find the 5 of the 9 station master tiles and separate them back out? How can you tell easily which ones are for the expansion? also, will you tell the people putting their player pieces away to separate out the houses, extra delivery marker, and extra buildings? seems cumbersome, but i'm relatively new to the hobby and haven't owned many expansions yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorlbs wrote:
Ronnay wrote:
jorlbs wrote:

Yeah, admittedly, it was a petty question, but i'm just curious what others are doing. so when you are done playing a round w/ your expansion, you are going to go find the 5 of the 9 station master tiles and separate them back out? How can you tell easily which ones are for the expansion? also, will you tell the people putting their player pieces away to separate out the houses, extra delivery marker, and extra buildings? seems cumbersome, but i'm relatively new to the hobby and haven't owned many expansions yet.

TBH, I'll probably always play with the expansion from here on out. It's not a complex expansion to integrate and the rules aren't that complicated to explain with an already overwhelming game. I would only bring this out for players who have some experience in the hobby and wouldn't be confused by all the moving parts here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jorlbs wrote:
Ronnay wrote:
jorlbs wrote:

I've already bagged all the expansion stuff with the regular stuff as well. Personally, I know the game well enough to separate the components on sight, but when not playing the expansion (i.e. with new/newer players), I'll just take out the branchlets and the buildings/tiles that don't work with the base game. After all, some of the expansion materials were promos and have already seen extensive use in my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.