Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am wondering if there are different opinions about the playtesting at Essen.
I like the game theme and I am intrigued by the gameplay, but I am not sure how original and solid it is.
I was fascinated by Scythe too, but, at the end, I played at it and I was not convinced. I played 5 games at Scythe and I won 3 times and I almost won the other twos without going to the central factory, without fulfilling any private objective, in most of the cases without using the special powers of the factions...I did not have any battle with anybody(that was even ok for me) and I never arrived at the star as first player...I simply spent the time upgrading my player board reducing the costs and increasing the benefits...trying not to lose popularity...more or less I always used the same strategy using different factions.
I do not know why it happened, but it seemed to me that it was not necessary to use parts of the game at all in order to win and that I was repeating always the same actions whatever the faction was. The upgrading system was wonderful and also the mechs, but I had a sort of deja-vu about it.
Now I am a bit worried to find myself in the same situation with this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Well i tested it (for 2 turns) but it has nothing similar with Scythe.
You can unlock extra income or abilities at your playerboard.
But there is more then that. Also Different tech tiles.
People can get in the way more then with Scythe.
Barrage is also more like a workerplacement.

What i most liked about the game is how you manage the wheel with the resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Epic Translator! More than 25 games translated. Terraforming Mars, Le Havre, Endeavor Age of Sail, On Mars, Brass Lancashire and Birmingham, Teotihuacan, Gentes Deluxe, London 2nd Ed, Cuzco, Forum Trajanum, D-Day Dice, Yellow & Yangtze
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Jon Gets Games October Vlog. He talks about this game for some minutes and gives some insights about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FiNeX
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glitterfolie wrote:
I like the game theme and I am intrigued by the gameplay, but I am not sure how original and solid it is.
I was fascinated by Scythe too, but, at the end, I played at it and I was not convinced. I played 5 games at Scythe and I won 3 times and I almost won the other twos without going to the central factory, without fulfilling any private objective, in most of the cases without using the special powers of the factions...I did not have any battle with anybody(that was even ok for me) and I never arrived at the star as first player...I simply spent the time upgrading my player board reducing the costs and increasing the benefits...trying not to lose popularity...more or less I always used the same strategy using different factions.
I do not know why it happened, but it seemed to me that it was not necessary to use parts of the game at all in order to win and that I was repeating always the same actions whatever the faction was. The upgrading system was wonderful and also the mechs, but I had a sort of deja-vu about it.

I've played a full 3-player game some months ago. The game is very different from Scythe (which leaved me a bit cold). Barrage is a must have if you like worker placement games with interaction, time/resource management and a lot of variability.

Barrage is the best game I've played the last year. it's fun because you've to maximize every single worker. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
finex wrote:
Glitterfolie wrote:

I've played a full 3-player game some months ago. The game is very different from Scythe (which leaved me a bit cold). Barrage is a must have if you like worker placement games with interaction, time/resource management and a lot of variability.

Barrage is the best game I've played the last year. it's fun because you've to maximize every single worker. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I'm sitting on the fence currently with it's price, current lack of solo mode and the fact that I have too many games. Good to get your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to everybody very helpful comments also for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asked and answered:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2083055/essen-play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to try it in Essen.....the game seems very very good, with some fresh ideas (resources on the rondel mechanic) and very thematic (flow of water).
The only concern i have about it is the poor visibility of the map that is chaotic at a first glance.
I dislike the colors of the game (i don't like so much that grey...) but here is a matter of personal tastes.
I'm lookin forward the retail version of the game just because i would like to try a full game (not only two turns)before consider puchasing it.
Ho pe it helps!
Bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
inzivro wrote:
I had the chance to try it in Essen.....the game seems very very good, with some fresh ideas (resources on the rondel mechanic) and very thematic (flow of water).
The only concern i have about it is the poor visibility of the map that is chaotic at a first glance.
I dislike the colors of the game (i don't like so much that grey...) but here is a matter of personal tastes.
I'm lookin forward the retail version of the game just because i would like to try a full game (not only two turns)before consider puchasing it.
Ho pe it helps!
Bye
You know the board comes double sided?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looked at the link and read the comments thanks.

Other persons told the board was confusing..

How is this board double sided?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glitterfolie wrote:

You know how most boards have stuff printed on at least one side? They decided to print stuff on both sides this time.

If you mean what the differences between the two sides are, I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Glitterfolie wrote:

From the KS page:
UNLOCKED! - Core Box SG: An upgrade for the map! Barrage's map is an information-heavy piece of game, but for the most advanced player the double-sided map offers an alternate, minimalistic map with the bare bone information to play - light designed conduits, no building's blocks - to have a clerare view on the map artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
Glitterfolie wrote:

From the KS page:
UNLOCKED! - Core Box SG: An upgrade for the map! Barrage's map is an information-heavy piece of game, but for the most advanced player the double-sided map offers an alternate, minimalistic map with the bare bone information to play - light designed conduits, no building's blocks - to have a clerare view on the map artwork.

From the image on the KS page, the map doesn't seem to have the building spots printed on so you can't see how many can fit on a certain level, you can hardly see the conduits and where the water leads to and how much energy they produce.

It's made "for the most advanced player", so not for those who get the game to the table every few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They will make two videos about playthrough:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craniocreations/barrage...
one tomorrow and one on Thursday.

I think that to look at the components and the gameplay will be very helpful and interesting before to take the final decision.

It is a pity their campaign is slowing down a bit..
I hope they will reach other SGs.

I have the impression that to read the normal board is not so easy...to read the minimalistic one seems really complicated to me and by sure I am not able to play the game more times per month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my impressions so far and why I backed it:
https://www.cardboardeast.com/kickstarter/2018/barrage

Yeah! It's really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilpanda wrote:
Here are my impressions so far and why I backed it:
https://www.cardboardeast.com/kickstarter/2018/barrage

Yeah! It's really good!

Great review.

Quote:
I have been programmed by the gaming industry for decades to associate “!” with game effects that trigger immediately. A few players needed to be reminded a few times that they do NOT receive those revealed rewards immediately.

Pretty sure players DO receive those rewards immediately and then again during each following income phase.

EDIT:

Yep, Cranio just confirmed this on the KS page.

Quote:
Yes, income is obtained immediately and subsequently in every income phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.