7 Posts

The Edge: Dawnfall» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: New pledge level: Starter Pledge can be played with 2+ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi.
I wanted to try this game but the high price of the campaign always stopped me to pull the trigger. I see it now that they did a low cost pledge.
I usually play with 4ppl and my friend like mage wars. So I'll be quick:
1 can starter pledge be played by 3ppl (reborn+faceless+darkness faction
2 what I need to add to play with 4 ppl
3 is this game similar to mage wars or it's another kind of game
2 how will work with 2+ ppl (3/4 ppl)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I haven't played 3-player. I don't remember if it uses more than one board. If it doesn't, then this should work.
2. Warchest pledge. Otherwise, you won't have enough factions.
4. 1v1 is putting 2 factions against each other. 1v1v1 and 1v1v1v1 are free-for-all's. Scoring works a little different. 2v2 works similar to 1v1, but with 4 factions.

[Edit] Fixed phone typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet, so take my answers with a grain of salt.

Stefano1234 wrote:

Yes but I hear the two other factions have to team up against the darkness faction for balance purposes.

If you get the Father of the Sun expansion though, there might be enough variety to create a balanced faction for free-for-all play.

Stefano1234 wrote:
2 what I need to add to play with 4 ppl

A second Starter Pledge with 2 different factions, but as it's only £5/$7 cheaper in total you're probably better off just getting the Warchest.

Stefano1234 wrote:
3 is this game similar to mage wars or it's another kind of game

From the little I know about Mage Wars, yes, but there seems to be more luck involved and plays better with a high player count.

But then agian, I'm probably not the best person to answer this question though as I've never player either.

Stefano1234 wrote:
2 how will work with 2+ ppl (3/4 ppl)

The same as with 2 players just with tokens instead of a score tracker and the added rule that the game ends if one side gets completely eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyoga Lionheart
msg tools
Hello

So far from all questions on KS comments sections, and rulebook which states more than 2 players as "multiplayer", you need 2 board maps

...So by standard rules it won't be possible to play 3 people I've beebn asking for a way to get an extra board, but so far no success.
But... that comment about playing coop made me wonder if playing coop vs darkess with AI is on one board... it really seems possible, BUT if it is, is VS AI, however if they allow yo to place units on board, you ccould ignore that about AI and make one player control it.

Also, as with all games, you could house rule... The rulebook says for multiplayer you choose one squad less (5 to 4), maybe you could try with 3 squads, for space, or 4 as it says and see how it works.

All other questions have been answered, I just could add on multiplayer the amount of VP changes, making you fight against all for that victory condition (I really like this feature, you have to earn 4 VP from each of other players), a new end condition if any player loses all his VP, and the other 2 normal conditions, one player losing all models or runnin out of deck...

So, since you have a gaming group it totally seems like the best option to get warchest, but money wise I don't see it as a bad option to get starter box and see if you all like the game, sure you would be able to enjoy with a few house rules.

Me, I am interested in both, solo content and hoping my group will love this game as we becamed in love almost instantly with Mythic Battles, and if we end up loving it I really would look for a way to get another board (even when they are so huge!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyoga Lionheart
msg tools
I got answer on KS campaign about coop play, and yes, if someone plays darkness you would be able to play 3 players in one board, here the answer:

"Yes.

The reason is how co op works. You take 5 units, split them among the players, decide who gets a shrine and who gets the banner.

You still only end up with 5 units"

So... going further, with the mentioned house rule, there can be a way to play even 4 players, 2 playing coop and the other 2 with one faction each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robo37 wrote:
Stefano1234 wrote:

Yes but I hear the two other factions have to team up against the darkness faction for balance purposes.

v1.6 is providing content so that The Darkness faction works 1v1. But, I would imagine you could still play the harder v1.0 version for 2v1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyoga wrote:
I got answer on KS campaign about coop play, and yes, if someone plays darkness you would be able to play 3 players in one board, here the answer:

"Yes.

The reason is how co op works. You take 5 units, split them among the players, decide who gets a shrine and who gets the banner.

That's co-op vs an AI Darkness. I'm pretty sure that if a player is playing Darkness, then Darkness is too strong for a single faction to win. This is why it's being balanced and there will be new content for Darkness with the v1.6 release.

[/q]So... going further, with the mentioned house rule, there can be a way to play even 4 players, 2 playing coop and the other 2 with one faction each[/q]
Sure, you could house rule it however you want. you could have each player only play half of a faction in a 1v1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.