Subject: Clarification on enemy targeting of heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I have a question about enemy targeting of heroes.
I there are one or two heroes within the enemies movement value, will the enemies AI have them run max movement and attack whichever hero has the least enemies targeting them (usually the front 2 heroes being dogpiled)

Do the enemies take into account when targeting, heroes that are free of enemies but are out of movement range (able to reach next turn)?
I assumed they had the rules set that enemies will run and attack whatever is in range that turn (with least enemies already attacking) but rules state nothing about this.
Just a bit confused and need some help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An enemy will target a hero within range with the least amount of enemies already targeting that hero. So if there are 2 heroes within range, and both heroes have one enemy already on them, and there is one hero out of range, the next assignment of an enemies target will be to one of the 2 heroes in range. You choose which one if they already have the same number of enemies on them.

Also this does kind of make enemy assignment kind of tricky, so for instance you have 2 lines of enemies, you should probably assign from the front enemy row to the furthest possible hero, otherwise you could game the system and control whether some heroes get targeted at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Njorl
This was pretty much how I play it, and it does make it a bit harder as heroes up front are mobbed by like 3 or 4 enemies each usually while the row of heroes further back aren't touched at all.

Was wondering too because sometimes at a chokepoint there is an opening for enemies to reach the 3rd 4th or 5th heroes further back but they can't quite reach it in one turn and subsequently bog up the space so no enemies can go back there and reach them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively let enemies move through each other if they activate together, like in a shootout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The enemies that re-target do get to go for the heroes in the back as they are not locked to their initial target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The intention is that if the players understand how the A.I. works, they can use that to their advantage. If you know that the Enemies you're facing can't move through models, then a savvy Marshal can position herself to take a disproportionate amount of attention (following the A.I rules strictly), while the less tough characters unload from the back using ranged weapons. Letting all models move through other Models of the same Enemy Type takes some of the positional strategy away.

If you're already doing this but find that the game is too easy because Enemies are getting clogged in narrow passageways (and remember that Large+ Enemies can move through Smaller/Medium Enemies), well then ... sure do what you've want :-P you've graduated past the Core Sets. I recommend expanding your game with new stuff; a great deal of expansion content has deliberate ways of countering the choke-strat.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls