Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mengui
Uruguay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to buy expansions for the game.

What are the ones recommended since they are a lot of them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of replayability with just the original four armies, but the expansions are all good additions. Some, like the Dancer and the Steel Police are more difficult to get used to, but after a few plays, there are no truly under or over powered armies.

You don't need them. But you will probably want them.

My personal favorites among the non-starter armies are SMART and Vegas, maybe NY. But I will play any army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Enemigo wrote:

Of course different people have different favorites. For every army, you'll find people who think it's one of the best ones and people who think it's not. You should perhaps simply read descriptions/reviews and get the ones which sound most appealing to you.

(Or if you're lazy, just buy them in order from highest BGG-rated downward. Or if you're lazy and have the money, just buy them all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Enemigo wrote:

My personal favorite is
Neuroshima Hex! Neojungle
also included in Neuroshima Hex! Babel13 with Neuroshima Hex! New York, which is a pretty cool army too. Getting Babel 13 thus would be a lot of bang of your buck IMHO with 2 of my favorite armies.
For Neojungle, there's just something I find satisfying about building up into that powerhouse of a jungle.

Lately I've been getting into playing
Neuroshima Hex! Smart,
and
Neuroshima Hex! Mississippi.

I find Neuroshima Hex! Vegas annoying and avoid playing against it, and don't find it much fun to play as my own army either.
Also Neuroshima Hex! Doomsday Machine 3.0 is annoying to play against and borderline OP (I think it has been banned in tournaments).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lindholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you like the game, you’ll end up buying them all.

A tip: the app is good, and a great way to get to play and learn all the armies but 3 (Mephisto, Death Breath and Iron Gang).
On iOS. Used to be on Android, but I’m not sure if it’s still there (?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
El_Enemigo wrote:

My personal favorite is
Neuroshima Hex! Neojungle
also included in Neuroshima Hex! Babel13 with Neuroshima Hex! New York, which is a pretty cool army too. Getting Babel 13 thus would be a lot of bang of your buck IMHO with 2 of my favorite armies.
For Neojungle, there's just something I find satisfying about building up into that powerhouse of a jungle.

Lately I've been getting into playing
Neuroshima Hex! Smart,
and
Neuroshima Hex! Mississippi.

I find Neuroshima Hex! Vegas annoying and avoid playing against it, and don't find it much fun to play as my own army either.
Also Neuroshima Hex! Doomsday Machine 3.0 is annoying to play against and borderline OP (I think it has been banned in tournaments).

NeoJungle is my favorite as well, but many find it hard to master and get the hang of. Babel 13 is out of print though as it was for version 2.0/2.5 and not 3.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Myszka
Poland
flag msg tools
short answer would be: all of them.

Play a game for awhile and think how much the base game would loose if one of base armies was released as an expansion - its the same with expansion armies - once you own them for awhile you just cant imagine the game without it.

In my group everyone likes Missisipi, Sharash and New York so I recommend you to buy them first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my groups, it's usually the simpler armies that get played the most (they could have been swapped with any from the base game). Then you have a few gimmicky ones that can be interesting but bring different gameplay, and the awful special ones that don't feel like Neuroshima at all. In no particular order:

Must have:
Smart
New York
Sharrash
Mississipi
Steel Police
Doomsday Machine

Interesting but slightly gimmicky:
Neojungle
Vegas
Uranopolis
Death Breath
Iron Gang

Avoid:
Dancers
Mephisto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenixio wrote:
In my groups, it's usually the simpler armies that get played the most (they could have been swapped with any from the base game). Then you have a few gimmicky ones that can be interesting but bring different gameplay, and the awful special ones that don't feel like Neuroshima at all. In no particular order:

Must have:
Smart
New York
Sharrash
Mississipi
Steel Police
Doomsday Machine

Interesting but slightly gimmicky:
Neojungle
Vegas
Uranopolis
Death Breath
Iron Gang

Avoid:
Dancers
Mephisto

Sounds like from your intro that you're categorizing Doomsday Machine as "simpler army...that could have been swapped with any from base game"?
I'm surprised, I find it difficult to play and to counter, and I see those "redirect fire" abilities as just as "gimmicky" as armies like Neojungle and Vegas.
But I'd probably even put it into Avoid just because of the infinite loop potential.

The rest of your categories I'd probably agree with.

Although NeoJungle might be "gimmicky" I still love it so much cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, to me Doomsday has always felt simpler, despite some of the flaws mentioned. I could see it go in both.

But to me, even if a bit gimmicky, I really like most armies. It really falls down to Mephisto and Dancer that really don't make the cut, because they push it way too far. I prefer the Outpost's take on fewer units and more movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.