Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played each scenario once now, and two of them we found to be really quite easy (Azathoth and Umordhoth), so I was thinking about how to change the Mythos cup to not only make the game a bit harder but also in a way that was thematic to each Ancient One (it's also a bit of a disappointment to me that each AO has the exact same Mythos cup distribution).

So I came up with this, which is to replace one of the blank tokens in the Mythos cup with a token depending on which AO you're facing:

Azathoth - Doom
Umordhoth - Monster
Yog-Sothoth - Headline (build the Headline deck using 20 cards instead of 13)
Cthulhu - Reckoning

Unfortunately, the game doesn't come with enough tokens to actually implement this, so instead just say that the first blank token pulled out of the bag after each time it is refilled is the required token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea! Maybe we should do custom tokens for those effects and just use coin capsules to make them blend in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
We've played each scenario once now, and two of them we found to be really quite easy (Azathoth and Umordhoth), so I was thinking about how to change the Mythos cup to not only make the game a bit harder but also in a way that was thematic to each Ancient One (it's also a bit of a disappointment to me that each AO has the exact same Mythos cup distribution).

So I came up with this, which is to replace one of the blank tokens in the Mythos cup with a token depending on which AO you're facing:

Azathoth - Doom
Umordhoth - Monster
Yog-Sothoth - Headline (build the Headline deck using 20 cards instead of 13)
Cthulhu - Reckoning

Unfortunately, the game doesn't come with enough tokens to actually implement this, so instead just say that the first blank token pulled out of the bag after each time it is refilled is the required token.

How about maybe replacing the purely random set-up of the Headline deck with a partially random set-up? To make the easy scenarios harder, say 3 of the harder Headline cards could be pre-selected and only 10 are random. Or would this make things too predictable?

On a related note, one small gripe I have about the Headline cards is I'd have liked a few specific to each scenario. Having the King in Yellow play pop up randomly is for me a little bit lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I wouldn't replace them entirely- you'd have to count them as Blank (capital B) with a varied downside. One of the Investigators cares about Blank tokens but I forget who offhand and don't have the game with me at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.