7 Posts

Cryptid» Forums » General

Subject: Potential issue with the 3 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
We just had three 3 player games last night.

I received terrain clues in each game (eg, on Desert or Mountain). It occurred to me that in a 3 player game, I could be the only person that has a terrain clue like this because if someone else had another terrain clue (eg, on Desert or Swamp) then it would be very unlikely the final player had a clue that could narrow down to a single possibility.

This doesn't seem to be an issue in 4 and 5 player games because people each clue doesn't need to narrow down the remaining possibilities as much.

But for the three player game, I felt that having the terrain clue gave information that neither other player had a terrain clue. But the other players don't have that information as they can't deduce any information based on their own clue.

Anyone agree / disagree / have any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chinkin
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine there are some unpublished rules about possible combinations of clues which might skew things in such a way, I would normally assume that there would have to be at least one of the within 2 or 3 clues, but I keep getting surprised by how wrong my assumptions turn out to be. I have had games where two people have overlapping territory clues which (when combined with the third clue) leave only one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Peter Rulebook wrote:
I imagine there are some unpublished rules about possible combinations of clues which might skew things in such a way, I would normally assume that there would have to be at least one of the within 2 or 3 clues, but I keep getting surprised by how wrong my assumptions turn out to be. I have had games where two people have overlapping territory clues which (when combined with the third clue) leave only one space.

Really? That is good to hear. Sounds like it still might be easier for the one person vs the other two but I am glad the clues don't follow a certain pattern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The completely open options for placement of shacks and standing stones should make it easy to ensure one space only no matter the other clues and map layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chinkin
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
The completely open options for placement of shacks and standing stones should make it easy to ensure one space only no matter the other clues and map layout.

And that logically leads to the assumption that there is likely to be at least one clue relating to the structures; although the animal territories can have a similar effect depending on the orientation of the tiles.

Obviously when you start adding in the negative clues, the possibilities grow significantly. You could have a "not within 1 of terrain type" combined with a "on x/y terrain type" to really narrow it down, so the assumptions become less likely to hold water. So, if it does get too predictable in the basic game, switch to the advanced mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
This is a question about the puzzle-generation algorithm that I think only the designers/publisher can answer.
Out of curiosity, I would generally like to know if each clue and clue combination in a given puzzle is chosen to be more or less equivalent to the other clues in the number of hexes it eliminates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chinkin
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a designer diary (and the comments below) that covers some of it. What I haven't been able to deduce is whether certain clues, or certain combinations are more likely than others to come out. I think I was fearing that some noticeable patterns would start to emerge with repeated plays; but I have been pleasantly surprised that this has not happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.