Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading through some of the comments here, and I was wondering.... can you announce (i.e. flip over) your role card if you want to reveal who you are to the other players? Or can you maybe show your card to certain other players. Similar to a rule in Incognito.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re:how secret are roles?
Joe Dizzy (#36367),
I don't think so! it's part of the game. besides it becomes clear pretty soon who is which while playing. It sdoes take a little longer to make sure about the deputy and renegade but you'll know most of the outlaws pretty fast!
Lexen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Ross
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Joe Dizzy (#36367),

Most assuredly not. You cannot do anything that would prove what side you're on else the game would fall apart... the Deputies would immediately reveal themselves since there's no benefit benefit for shooting them (no reward and it's better for the Outlaws to focus on the Sheriff anyways) and so it will prevent friendly fire on the law side allowing even the Sheriff to join in freely hosing down the Outlaws.

The Renegade would also be completely unplayable if people were allowed to freely prove their role... the Renegade relies on the fact that once the Outlaws are dead he can rely on some chaos with Deputies shooting each other and the Sheriff trying to avoid killing anybody. The Renegade would probably be forced into revealing early in such a game... they'd be more likely to survive a bit longer once people know that they're not currently a danger to the Sheriff and there's no reward for killing them. So in short, if you could reveal roles no roles would be secret... the Deputies would reveal causing the Renegade to do likely (to avoid their fire), and the Outlaws would be obvious.

You can say anything you like about your role... tell the truth or lie (although, everyone will probably say they're a Deputy when asked). But, the FAQ says that there is a limit to table talk... to put it simply, you should not directly ask or tell other players what cards to play. For example, asking a player to steal the last card out of someone's hand so that you can drop a Volcanic on them would be right out. The example given in the FAQ is asking the Sheriff if you can play a Gatling. The simpliest way to put it is that everyone should play their own cards without any help or suggestions. Personally, I'm fine with simple calls for "help" without asking for anything specific... ie. the Sheriff askes for a bit of help after being badly injured, and another player decides to play Saloon (it wasn't specifically asked for, and it might well be the Renegade who's playing it... a Deputy would probably have played it regardless).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Sciarra
Italy
CERVETERI
RM
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Table talk is allowed and even encouraged, but you can never show your cards! As already noted, the game would lose one of its main features and would be far less interesting and thrilling.
As regards what you can say, the above answer by Brent Ross is absolutely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah.. now that I think about it.. it does make sense to disallow it. You'd also miss out on all the Life of Brian-scenes at the beginning of the game..

Player 1: I am a Deputy!
Player 2: So am I!
Player 3: No, I am a Deputy!
Player 4: I am the Deputy and so is my wife!

..etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.