Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » General

Subject: Should I get 1 Rey + 1 Kylo starter, or 1 Two Player Set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suriani
Brazil
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Hi. I'm new to this game, and there's a huge doubt on what to buy first.
For instance, should I get 1 Rey + 1 Kylo starter, or 1 Two Player Set?

Makes sense to get 1 Rey + 1 Kylo + 1 Luke + 1 Boba? I've seen recomendations on getting Two Player Pack + 1 Luke + 1 Boba.

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your last suggestion seems best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric dK
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought the 2 player and the 2 single player packs. After that I bought a few single cards I liked. I already had lots of fun playing this way. Since I play casual it is enough for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Y
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to Destiny! I got into it just about a year ago, and faced a similar decision (although I had fewer choices then). it’s s a fun game that I tend to play casually and still enjoy.

Destiny will be rotating out the Rey and Kylo starters in the black packaging early next year from competitive play. If you are a casual player, that may not be important, but they may become challenging to find. They also have older cards and older mechanics that the game is moving away from.

The white packaged sets are 2018’s flight and have newer mechanics that fit with what will be coming out in 2019. So the 2player starter has more relevant cards moving forward. I guess if I were buying them today, I’d start with the 2 player set, and get 2 so I had enough copies to run all characters elite (i.e. with both die). Amazon is even discounting the 2 player set so you can get 2 for the price of 1 right now.

You also can’t go wrong with a 2 player starter + Luke + Boba mix. It will give you a good taste of the different characters and give you 4 different teams to play right out of the box.

In the end, you can’t go wrong with any of them- pick the sets that have characters you like and start with those. Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoid the single player rey/kylo sets as being rotated out ... plus the two player starter (kylo+rey) is under $10 a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suriani
Brazil
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for the help!

I have another question.

What's the difference between buying 2 "two player set" OR:
- 2 Rey + 2 Kylo starter sets (They'll rotate, so the cards are different?)
- 1 two player set and 1 rey + 1 kylo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Friendly Meeple
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suriani wrote:
Thank you guys for the help!

I have another question.

What's the difference between buying 2 "two player set" OR:
- 2 Rey + 2 Kylo starter sets (They'll rotate, so the cards are different?)
- 1 two player set and 1 rey + 1 kylo

The separate Rey and Kylo starter sets are part of the first cycle. That cycle is in black packaging and contains the Awakenings, Spirit of Rebellion and Empire at War booster sets.

The two player Rey and Kylo starter, Luke and Boba Fett starters and Rivals draft set are part of the second cycle. That cycle is in white packaging and contains the Legacies, Way of the Force and upcoming Across the Galaxy booster packs.

The cards in the starters from the different cycles are different, so if you got one Rey, one Kylo and one two player starter you would have two different Reys and Kylos. The reason you would want two of the same of a character is because when you are making your team you can have a character use two dice instead of the usual one die for a small additional point cost. The Luke and Boba Fett starters come with two dice already for Luke and Boba Fett, but you might want two of them just to double up on some of the other cards that are only available in those starters.

If you’re playing competitively, then when the third cycle comes out the first cycle will rotate out of standard format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.