Hide
5 Posts

Arkham Horror (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rules clarifications after the first playthrough rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent McCartney
msg tools
You know it's an XXX Horror game when you've played it once and are saying "Screw this game. So when are we playing it again guys?"

We had a few things that we weren't sure of and couldn't really figure out with the rulebooks and google fu, so any help would be appreciated. The fate of the world hangs in the balance!

1. Mythos Phase

We played with six players and the way it read in one section of the rulebook it sounded like each investigator takes out two mythos tokens *every mythos phase* and in another part of the book the language made it sound like the investigators take turns but you only draw out two tokens per mythos phase. Can someone help me out with that?

2. The Hounds of Tindalos (and other movement questions)

The hounds have an "*" as their movement but try as we might we couldn't find any reference to what that actually meant. I figured that some of the cultists with "-" as their movement just stayed where they spawned but couldn't figure out what the asterisk meant.

I think that's really it for now. Mostly the mythos thing cause with 6 players, that's almost the entire bag of tokens coming out every turn, which seems harsh....

Humanity and the World thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hounds move directly (that’s the keyword on their card) to their target, which means they just appear at whoever their prey is. They don’t move spaces.

The Hounds of Tindalos can move through time and space, so that’s the thematic reason for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fraqtl wrote:
1. Mythos Phase

We played with six players and the way it read in one section of the rulebook it sounded like each investigator takes out two mythos tokens *every mythos phase* and in another part of the book the language made it sound like the investigators take turns but you only draw out two tokens per mythos phase. Can someone help me out with that?

Within the Mythos Phase. the players take turns, starting with the leader and going clockwise, each drawing two tokens. So yes, you will see 12 tokens per round.

fraqtl wrote:
2. The Hounds of Tindalos (and other movement questions)

The hounds have an "*" as their movement but try as we might we couldn't find any reference to what that actually meant. I figured that some of the cultists with "-" as their movement just stayed where they spawned but couldn't figure out what the asterisk meant.

I haven't seen their card, but I would have to assume their text tells them to move 'directly' somewhere. They don't move through the intervening spaces, they just teleport to the new place (via the corners). Thus, they do not need a move value as they have special movement which ignores the number of spaces. The following rules quote should cover it:

AH3 RR wrote:
454.4 Mechanical text can instruct components to move
directly to a space or other game area using the words
“move directly to” or simply “move to.” A component
moved in this way is removed from its current space
or game area and placed directly on its new space or
game area. It does not enter or leave any other space
or game area during the move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Within the Mythos Phase. the players take turns, starting with the leader and going clockwise, each drawing two tokens. So yes, you will see 12 tokens per round.

Just a quick clarification here: that's 12 tokens per round in a six-investigator game. If you're playing with only two, you draw four mythos tokens total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent McCartney
msg tools
Thanks very much for that.

12 Mythos tokens a round is exceptionally brutal. Even moreso than Mythos phases in other iterations of the Cthulhu games, and some of them felt harsh.

I'll check out the hounds cards but you are likely right.

Thanks again for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.