Arkham Horror (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
phalanx phalanx
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I purchased the game at Essen last week and tried few rounds before setting a real game with my friends.
I noticed that the plot seems to evolve always in the same way (from card 2 draw card 3 and so on).
In eldritch horror there were more than three misteries, in this way there was enough variety even with the same elder god.
What do you thonk about it?
Once defeated azathoth, will the next game against it still intresting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phalanx72 wrote:
I purchased the game at Essen last week and tried few rounds before setting a real game with my friends.
I noticed that the plot seems to evolve always in the same way (from card 2 draw card 3 and so on).
In eldritch horror there were more than three misteries, in this way there was enough variety even with the same elder god.
What do you thonk about it?
Once defeated azathoth, will the next game against it still intresting?

Haven't played it yet myself, but I think it's more along the lines of Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. While Arkham Horror (1st and 2nd edition as well) is a "single scenario" type game (save the town by closing all Gates), Eldritch Horror evolves this by Mysteries (still, it remains similar to its predecessors). This 3rd edition with its specific scenarios seems to have enough variety for a few re-plays, and then comes the Mansions of Madness: Second Edition solution: buy expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Eckhoff
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game 7 times over the weekend. (Lost 3 won 4.) I think it has a lot of replayability. Pretty much everything is randomized except the overall narrative. But with 3 different encounters per event and encounter deck, and randomize monsters, not to mention all the different investigators to try out, each with a choice of their own as far as which items/spells fk bring with them. There are even some choices to be made in some scenarios, so that can play out differently too.

I think they did a good job. You should st least feel like you’ve got your money’s worth. And then he, hopefully/probably expansions will not be far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
msg tools
It seems fairly replayable to me, though ive only played one solo game so far but from what ive seen and read it seems to offer some variety to keep the scenarios interesting and somewhat openended.

That said, in AH2 we only ever had ONE objective; Close Gates. And that worked well enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kozz84
msg tools
Soulless wrote:
That said, in AH2 we only ever had ONE objective; Close Gates. And that worked well enough
Sure, but a game with one objective can have more replay value than a game with 4 objectives

Ghost stories and Pandemic (for me) have more replay value than MoM 2nd, Elditch and AH lcg combined.

If you put story before gameplay than the game has little replay value (for me). That is why every time ffg talks about their new game and first thing they say: "they want to tell a story" I'm just rolling my eyes...

But this has been discussed Ad nauseam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even omce you know the path a given sscenario takes I still find tbe game play interesting. The random nature of the event decks usin differing character combinations and just aquiring dofferent equipment/etc makes the game different. The surprise won’t be there but the challenge will be. So many games only have one scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kozz84 wrote:
Soulless wrote:
Sure, but a game with one objective can have more replay value than a game with 4 objectives

Ghost stories and Pandemic (for me) have more replay value than MoM 2nd, Elditch and AH lcg combined.

If you put story before gameplay than the game has little replay value (for me). That is why every time ffg talks about their new game and first thing they say: "they want to tell a story" I'm just rolling my eyes...

But this has been discussed Ad nauseam.

I play all of the LCG scenarios lots of times. It has great replay value in my opinion. I believe it has much better replay ability then MOM 2nd. Certainly way more replayable then AH2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Tristano
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Certainly way more replayable then AH2nd.

Strongly disagree. AH3e relies on the element of surprise from a hand crafted story to deliver its fun. It may be fun once, twice maximum. Then you need expansions, and that's exactly the model FFG is designing all their games nowadays.

60 bucks for something I can enjoy a very well limited number of times is big no for me. AH2e is not scenario based and does not suffer from this problem. Also, every expansion adds variability, instead of giving you yet another hand crafted story you will truly enjoy once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kozz84
msg tools
youperguy wrote:
I play all of the LCG scenarios lots of times. It has great replay value in my opinion. I believe it has much better replay ability then MOM 2nd. Certainly way more replayable then AH2nd.
Out of all big Arkham Files games the lcg has probably the best replay value, but that is mainly due to the solid gameplay and release schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kozz84 wrote:
youperguy wrote:
Out of all big Arkham Files games the lcg has probably the best replay value, but that is mainly due to the solid gameplay and release schedule.

Oh well, a frequent release schedule should always make up for some replayability. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keebus wrote:
Quote:

Strongly disagree. AH3e relies on the element of surprise from a hand crafted story to deliver its fun. It may be fun once, twice maximum. Then you need expansions, and that's exactly the model FFG is designing all their games nowadays.

Strongly agree with your disagreement! It's a fact that narrative-based scenarios can add depth to the atmosphere; then again, that depth remarkably decreases re-playability. It's a sacrifice on the altar of story - nothing more and nothing less. On the other hand, it's a boardgame, not an RPG (although, it's based on it). Now, if I want story, narrative, atmosphere, immersion, and depth, then I play Call of Cthulhu (that it's based on, btw).
As you pointed out, the 2nd edition - as well as the 1st edition - do not suffer from such problems. They are both what they are, and what they ought to be: well balanced boardgames with RPG-ish elements, and moreover with high re-playability!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
keebus wrote:
Quote:

I am not so sure about that statement. Are you saying that generaly gameplay is not fun? That the only fun comes from discovering the story and then it is done? The gameplay is not engaging, boring? Mechanics lacklustre and completely shallow?

To be honest, I haven't played the game and can't answer those questions myself. But, I played quite a few games which are more or less scenario based and replayability of those vary greatly. Usually it depends on how interesting the actual gameplay is.

Your statement is probably true for games like MoM2 or Time Stories, those games don't offer much in terms of gameplay, doscovering scenario is all that's there. AH LCG is quite different beast, most scenarios provides just a quite openended framework on top of an interesting and engaging gameplay, perfect match. From what I've seen it looks like AH3 is more similar to AH LCG than MoM2 in the execution of scenario concept.

On the other hand scenarios could add a lot of replayability to game with have quite generic gameplay. For me great example is Pandemic, for me this non-scenario based game had replayability amount equal to 2 games. After 2 games I was sure that gameplay is too boring for me to play it ever again. But, despite my dislike to Pandemic game, I managed to play entire Pandemic:Legacy twice, due to fact how much scenarios and campaign mode added to the game. So, yes scenarios could definatelly make a game much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
keebus wrote:
Quote:

Typically, coops are always the same scenario. If you look at more recent designs like Spirit Island, they also offer scenarios just to shake up the basic formula.

Given the random elements of the game, the paths throughout the scenarios are more motivations rather than just story. Sure, the story is nice, but in a game like this its just a vehicle to explain why we are doing what we are doing.

If you're in it mainly for the story, this game will certainly disappoint you to some degree, but otherwise this game is very, very replayable. We've done Azathoth three times now and still want to try it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phalanx phalanx
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks a lot to everybody for your comments!
I'm now courious to see if the expansion will provide more gods or also alternative stories for the 4 scenarios of the core set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
phalanx72 wrote:
I'm now courious to see if the expansion will provide more gods or also alternative stories for the 4 scenarios of the core set

Based on what the LCG has managed to do, I think the future is very bright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phalanx phalanx
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i was also thinking to the night of the zealot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
phalanx72 wrote:

Based on what the LCG has managed to do, I think the future is very bright.

Bright is an understatement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William L
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when Eldritch Horror first came out and I think there were 4 mysteries per Elder One. They then started adding more mysteries for all the GOO's, which greatly increased it's replayability. I think they could easily add a few Archive Cards to each scenario to mix things up and increase the replayability as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The replay-ability is similar to MoM 2nd ed - scenario's have a few plays before getting old.
AH2 & EH have far more replayability as they don't have on-the-rails scenarios.
That being said you know FFG are going to expand the shit out of AH3 so provided you are willing to pay replay-ability will increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.