Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
We're getting towards the end of the term, so I opened up the choice of the last couple of games to my students. I got two requests, so today we played Carcassonne crossed with Ticket To Ride!

No, not really. We'll revisit Carcassonne next week.

Of the four students I currently have, only two had played Ticket To Ride before, so it was good to demonstrate both to them as a good example of a gateway game, and how more experience matters when playing such a game.

Did I say experience matters? Oops. I don't think we managed that too well.

If there is one flaw with Ticket to Ride - and it really shows using the original version - it's how the tickets are distributed. If you're lucky enough to draw tickets that work together, great! You build your routes, avoid any blocking tactics that your opponents use, and move towards the game. If you draw tickets that don't work together...

In fact, it is possible to mitigate a bad ticket draw. However, none of the players was really experienced enough to do so. It was one of the new players who drew the best tickets, and then set about making them count, building several 6 routes, and then working his way down to Miami.

The other players were getting somewhat bogged down with 2 and 3 length routes, and they were also having difficulty in connecting up their routes from east-to-west. With their tickets not completed, they weren't taking new ones... unlike the player who was in the lead, who would take new tickets, discover that they only needed a link or two to complete, and do so.

A few blocking tactics came into play at the end of the game, and a few of the players learnt why you really don't want to leave connecting up your two rail systems until the very last moment - either it'll be blocked, or you'll discover you don't have the cards to do so and it's the very last turn!

Final scores saw the game leader take out Longest Track, have 5 completed tickets, and a score of 143! The others weren't even in the hunt, with scores of 82, 73 and 62.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
chartreuse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bo Link
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Pink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Duckman
Netherlands
Groenlo
GLD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lavender pink

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say pink, my wife says purple. So purple it is!

purpletrainpurpletrainpurpletrainpurpletrainpurpletrainpurpletrainpurpletrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Sparks
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pinkle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Birch
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
purple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Olivier Desbiens
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Purple!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchsia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Cain
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pink

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.