Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat Vo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everyone,

one question about strategy.
Could it be a disadvantage for the last player, if we play with 5 players and there are only four starting buildings on the plan?
IMHO production building is strong and if everyone choose one, the last player has a big disadvantage. I only play twice with 4 but it looks that this could be an issue. Any experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer : I haven't tried the game yet.

If all other players have bought a building, you can gain one of the costly auction cards (6/7) at starting price, if they're available. Not sure whether this is enough to compensate the lack of a starting building, though.

If one of the trading firm buildings is drawn from the stack, and those match some of the starting buildings bought by other players, buying that could also be a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Tavenier
Netherlands
Koog aan de Zaan
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
To have a very cheap auction building is worth a lot as well. And you also have four chances to get on of the three buildings that cost 10 gold and gives you 1 gold for each commodity of two types being sold. Very strong buildings, especially if you get them early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greenhill Christmas
msg tools
mb
I played 3 times, and in the last 2 games the winner didn't buy this building

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We offset the later starting positions with more starting commodities. The fifth player will start with five unique commodities. This gives them a leg up on production (4 turns worth of extra Bonus Building production vs. the starting player), and gives them a couple of nice options:

* Buy a Town right away

* sell commodities sooner and for more $$

By getting more money, sooner, they can buy one of the more powerful building tiles sooner than the starting player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nachtfalke67 wrote:
Hi everyone,

one question about strategy.
Could it be a disadvantage for the last player, if we play with 5 players and there are only four starting buildings on the plan?
IMHO production building is strong and if everyone choose one, the last player has a big disadvantage. I only play twice with 4 but it looks that this could be an issue. Any experience?

Played once and I would say you don't want to mess around with buildings until you have more money. Before your can recoup your spent money, you could find yourself down a good chunk of points due to auctions in which you can't compete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.