Subject: Backyard visitor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I came home this evening to find something had taken up residence in our backyard: a female Golden Silk spider. She's over 2" across, and apparently just found her meal for the day. Sorry about the bluriness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear the golden silks are excellent sauteed in butter.

Wow. That's something. It reminds me of the spiders in Costa Rica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Bugs don't usually bother me all that much but *shudder*

Oy, that is a big 'un.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really something. I wish we had a cool spider like that around here to fight the giant moth that was hanging out near our front porch light the other night. Or, even better, to battle the huge and amazing walking stick (or whatever this bug was) that was wandering around in some sort of upright imitation of a human, but whose wings popped out at my approach, enabling the beast to fly extremely slowly out into the world. Honestly, I think my man-bug could have kicked your spider's ass, but we may never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
That is really something. I wish we had a cool spider like that around here to fight the giant moth that was hanging out near our front porch light the other night. Or, even better, to battle the huge and amazing walking stick (or whatever this bug was) that was wandering around in some sort of upright imitation of a human, but whose wings popped out at my approach, enabling the beast to fly extremely slowly out into the world. Honestly, I think my man-bug could have kicked your spider's ass, but we may never know.

Sounds like a praying mantis. When I was a kid we used to fill coffee cans full of them and sell them for a few quarters to a guy down the street who would set them free on his garden to eat all of the 'bad' bugs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My best Costa Rica spider. Oddly, the female is the obvious one, and the male is the small one above her a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puckhead wrote:
My best Costa Rica spider. Oddly, the female is the obvious one, and the male is the small one above her a little bit.

I can picture the conversation they're having:

"Honey, do I look fat?"

"Uh-oh."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
wow iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!! wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
I came home this evening to find something had taken up residence in our backyard: a female Golden Silk spider. She's over 2" across, and apparently just found her meal for the day. Sorry about the bluriness.

My kids came in all excited the other day saying they'd found an 'amazing' spider, I went out to take a look and it was one of these, definately a formidable looking bug.

It was hanging on some weeds that I'd told my daughter to mow down later, so we captured it and transplanted it to the flower garden next to the back porch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Sounds like a praying mantis. When I was a kid we used to fill coffee cans full of them and sell them for a few quarters to a guy down the street who would set them free on his garden to eat all of the 'bad' bugs.

I have seen many dozens of praying mantises over the years....this, Senator, was no praying mantis. In fact, it was a lot closer to:

Not for the squeamish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spider, spider, on the wall
Have you no good sense at all?
Can't you see that wall's been plastered?
Get of that wall, you dirty......spider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember one year, about 20 years back on a relatives farm, when these Golden Silks were everywhere. There was one in every shrub and all along the fences and hedges. Literally, hundreds of them. Uncle Carl said he'd never seen anything like it before and he'd farmed the family plot for 40 years.

It was too freaky and too creepy. I didn't go back to visit them until there was snow on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Spiders creep me out like no other bug* out there, but for some reason, Golden Garden spiders (as I've always known them and continue to call them) are incredible. We had one in our front garden at our last house, and she always seemed to return each year. We named her Greta.

Of course, if Greta had somehow managed to get ON me, then she would have become Greta the Spot on the Sidewalk, but from a distance, it was neat to watch her. She would actually swell up like a balloon after she fed.

MisterCranky wrote:

That's amazing! I can't believe how much it actually looks like a stick.

*I know spiders aren't bugs, but arachnids. Just go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

It didn't look like this:

did it? You might have trouble on your hands if so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

Magic Wings is a business near where I live that sells pods of mantis eggs for this very purpose. A neat place to visit too, a greenhouse full of insects (approx 4,000 butterflies) with quail running around at your feet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
It didn't look like this:

did it? You might have trouble on your hands if so...

I thought this nicely scientific article explaining why bugs can't supersize in real life was fascinating. Maybe this will help calm someone's fears?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I have seen many dozens of praying mantises over the years....this, Senator, was no praying mantis. In fact, it was a lot closer to:

Not for the squeamish!

We used to find them hanging out around the garden, but I haven't seen any in a year or two. The large ones are female, they can easily be 2-3x the size of the males. But nothing around here compares with their Malaysian cousins: http://www.phasmids.webpark.pl/dlahodowcy/ciekaw05.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debora Heidenreich
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I opened this thinking, a cute bunny or fawn.....but no it is a close up of my most feared adversary. cry We had one of these in a planter last year, I was on my knees cleaning out the weeds when I came nose to nose with it. Or nose to eight eyeballs and fangs!! Once I was able to speak and let my husband know the purpose of the baseball bat and poison I handed him ( while the neighbors laughed at me) he dispensed of it. I have not however weeded the "spider pot" as it is now know as since. In fact I water the plant above it from a distance, and if it weren't for perennials there would be nothing at all in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

Not for the squeamish!

We used to find them hanging out around the garden, but I haven't seen any in a year or two. The large ones are female, they can easily be 2-3x the size of the males. But nothing around here compares with their Malaysian cousins: http://www.phasmids.webpark.pl/dlahodowcy/ciekaw05.jpg

The female in this pictue is a lot larger and looks a bit like Janis Joplin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
dheiden wrote:
I opened this thinking, a cute bunny or fawn.....but no it is a close up of my most feared adversary. cry We had one of these in a planter last year, I was on my knees cleaning out the weeds when I came nose to nose with it. Or nose to eight eyeballs and fangs!! Once I was able to speak and let my husband know the purpose of the baseball bat and poison I handed him ( while the neighbors laughed at me) he dispensed of it. I have not however weeded the "spider pot" as it is now know as since. In fact I water the plant above it from a distance, and if it weren't for perennials there would be nothing at all in it.

No matter how much you dislike spiders, you should never kill them unless absolutely necessary (a venomous one in the house, for example). They are important predators and kill lots of mosquitoes, flies and other things -- things that actually carry diseases and such.

I don't understand, and have never understood, the impulse to kill things that freak you out, especially things that cannot harm you in any way.

Scoop it up with a newspaper or something and move it rather than kill it. Sheesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debora Heidenreich
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You can do with them what you want and I will do with them what I want, I do not normally kill the spiders in my garden, as long as we can part ways in opposite directions, this one however wasn't willing to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as long as you tried to negotiate with it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch T
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I remember when I was young how my dad had killed three black widows in one 10 minute incident. Enough to make me shutter I'm afraid considering how venomous they are.

However, I think scorpions are way creepier than your average spider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in boot camp in Orlando, and in the mornings you would see dead scorpions laying around.

Thank god for boondockers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.