Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some difficulties along the way, but Episode 8 has proven to be very challenging for me. I finally managed to get exactly $115 last night, but I was curious if others had been able to score much over $115 and how you may have done so.

Here are some details of what I did:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I created an 11-rail link between the double R building and the top left C building and delivered from R to C in Round 1. I think it was Round 3 that I built a 2-rail link from the double R building to the L building. I basically only did a single delivery each round with one exception (Round 5 I think I did 2 deliveries), ensuring that I was able to make use of the refill of the C and L buildings that were part of my rail network. Finally, I was able to utilize the $5 card one time during the "self-help" phase of the last round. Interestingly, I never needed the extra rail worker card since I only built two completed links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to drop in and say I feel you: I haven’t beat puzzle eight yet. Four hours in, my best is a poor $81.

Congrats, and thank you kindly for the spoiler tags!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mymil wrote:
I don't remember the precise details of my actions, but my solution ($116) was rather different than yours. Cool!
Took advantage of long deliveries to commercial for +$5 upon delivery
Fewer, longer routes

I honestly don't know how you were able to build all that track and still have enough card uses left to deliver more than a couple of passengers. I wonder if one of us is playing something incorrectly. See the spoiler tags for my calculation to see if I am missing something:

The maximum number of card uses available in this episode is 24 (you will recover 15 usable cards + your starting 9 available cards). The 7-rail connection on the left should have taken 4 card uses (3 for the track icons + 1 for the destination); similarly, the 8-rail connection should have taken 5 card uses; the 5-rail connection would have taken 3 card uses; and the bottom 3-rail connection would take 2 card uses. Since you'll also need to recover 2 rail workers to be able to build 4 links, your grand total of card uses for building the tracks in your picture would have been 4+5+3+2+2=16.

That leaves only 8 card uses available for delivering passengers. Since each delivery requires two card uses (magnetic strip + destination icon), you can deliver at most 4 passengers with this track configuration. As far as I can tell, the most valuable delivery you could make would be $28 (the result of $23 for the track + $5 to Commerce). Even if you did this 4 times (which cannot even happen since Leisure only refills 2 times), you would net at most $112.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
Mymil wrote:

I honestly don't know how you were able to build all that track and still have enough card uses left to deliver more than a couple of passengers. I wonder if one of us is playing something incorrectly. See the spoiler tags for my calculation to see if I am missing something:

The maximum number of card uses available in this episode is 24 (you will recover 15 usable cards + your starting 9 available cards). The 7-rail connection on the left should have taken 4 card uses (3 for the track icons + 1 for the destination); similarly, the 8-rail connection should have taken 5 card uses; the 5-rail connection would have taken 3 card uses; and the bottom 3-rail connection would take 2 card uses. Since you'll also need to recover 2 rail workers to be able to build 4 links, your grand total of card uses for building the tracks in your picture would have been 4+5+3+2+2=16.

That leaves only 8 card uses available for delivering passengers. Since each delivery requires two card uses (magnetic strip + destination icon), you can deliver at most 4 passengers with this track configuration. As far as I can tell, the most valuable delivery you could make would be $28 (the result of $23 for the track + $5 to Commerce). Even if you did this 4 times (which cannot even happen since Leisure only refills 2 times), you would net at most $112.

Ahhh you're totally right. I must have cheated somewhere for sure! Argh. Will need to go back and remedy that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Chapman
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the $5 bonus for delivery to blue "C" buildings was only for the previous puzzle (#7). I didn't realize that it was supposed to be an on-going rule for the rest of the book. Gosh, no wonder I'm having such a hard time with this one! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PrefectSarah wrote:
I thought the $5 bonus for delivery to blue "C" buildings was only for the previous puzzle (#7). I didn't realize that it was supposed to be an on-going rule for the rest of the book. Gosh, no wonder I'm having such a hard time with this one! Thanks

Yeah, all of the new rules are applied to all following episodes unless otherwise stated. The rule book states this by saying that all rules for episode P apply to episode P+1 as well. I am not sure episode 8 would even be possible without the $5 bonus from the Commerce deliveries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Voisin
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrefectSarah wrote:

I'm, with you I did not think that the $5. applied to this puzzle. but makes sense just like the mt. and lake rules. For some reason, I never read the book on #8, just saw that this puzzle added delivering to blue and get plus 5.
So many little things I keep assuming, just leads to trouble.
We don't need any responses about what happens when you assume!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrefectSarah wrote:

Oh what?! are you serious? I've been struggling for ages on this one! I even managed to get $113 without the C building bonus lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mann
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution to episode 8 with $116:
I connected 3 buildings
using 2 links and 3 workers.
I didn't use the I building,
nor the L building,
nor the standalone R building.
In 4 of the rounds I only used 1 of the 2 main actions.
The ticket with both the triple-rail and $5 was used in every round except round III
(as 3 rails in rounds I and II, as $5 in rounds IV, V, VI).
I earned in the rounds as follows:
I : 16 (R to C)
II : 0
III : 23 (C to C)
IV : 28 (C to C)
V : 28 (C to C)
VI : 21 (R to C)

picture WARNING FINAL SPOILER!
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4405377/balsawood

Note: Prior to editing this post, I had mistakenly used $5 in round III to arrive at $121, but that would have left me a ticket short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BalsaWood wrote:
My solution to episode 8 with $121:
I connected 3 buildings
using 2 links and 3 workers.
I didn't use the I building,
nor the L building,
nor the standalone R building.
In 4 of the rounds I only used 1 of the 2 main actions.
The ticket with both the triple-rail and $5 was used in every round
(as 3 rails in rounds I and II, as $5 in all subsequent rounds).
I earned in the rounds as follows:
I : 16 (R to C)
II : 0
III : 28 (C to C)
IV : 28 (C to C)
V : 28 (C to C)
VI : 21 (R to C)

picture WARNING FINAL SPOILER!

Can the passenger in the Red building go through the Green building?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mann
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CashLiam wrote:

Can the passenger in the Red building go through the Green building?

Only if you connected the red to the green externally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Went back and was sure to complete it legally, finishing with exactly $115. My solution ended up being very similar to Joakley's, with minor differences:
Only delivered one passenger per turn, for a total of 5 deliveries. Used +$5 during self-help for the final 3 rounds. Delivering C to R instead of using +$5 for 2 rounds would increase final score by $3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$126:

I)
1) 11 Rails (single R to top left C)
2) Deliver R to C = $16 (11+5)
Self-help: Railworker
Reclaim: [$5, 3 Rail, I] , [L, 2 Rail , Magnetic Strip] , [C,I,R]

II)
1) 3 Rails: (L - Single R)
2) Deliver L to C = $19 (14+5)
Self-help : None
Reclaim: [$5, 3 Rail, I] , [2 Rail] , [L, 2 Rail , Magnetic Strip]

III)
1) 5 Rail Double R to Top Left C
2) Deliver R - L $19 (5+11+3)
Reclaim: [$5, ...] , [L, 2 Rail , Magnetic Strip] , [C,I,R]

IV)
1) Deliver L - C = $19 (3=11=5)
2) Pass
Self-help : $5

V)
1) Deliver Single R - C = $19 (11+5)
2) pass

VI)
1) Deliver L - C = $19 (3+11+5)
2) Pass
Reclaim:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainpigwash wrote:
$126:

I)
1) 11 Rails (single R to top left C)
2) Deliver R to C = $16 (11+5)
Reclaim: [$5, 3 Rail, I] , [L, 2 Rail , Magnetic Strip] , [C,I,R]

II)
1) 3 Rails: (L - Single R)
2) Deliver L to C = $19 (14+5)
Reclaim: [$5, 3 Rail, I] , [2 Rail] , [L, 2 Rail , Magnetic Strip]

III)
1) 5 Rail Double R to Top Left C
2) Deliver R - L $19 (5+11+3)

IV)
1) Deliver L - C = $19 (3=11=5)
2) Pass

V)
1) Deliver Single R - C = $19 (11+5)
2) pass

VI)
1) Deliver L - C = $19 (3+11+5)
2) Pass
Reclaim:

Very nice! I noticed that you are writing the track length beside each link -- I have been doing this too. It definitely saves some counting when delivering passengers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lafond
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might seem totally crazy, but I forgot the carry-over rule from the previous level that delivering passengers to Commercial gives an extra $5 bonus. Nonetheless, after several days of failed attempts, I managed to succeed with exactly $115, without using the $5 bonus at all.

I built a 5 rail between the Leisure and Industrial on the first turn. On the second and third turns, I built an 18 long rail between the Industrial and the double Residential.
In the later turns, I transported a total of 5 passengers, four at $23 and one at $18. Throw in a self help for $5, and that's $115.

Here's a longer breakdown:
I)
1) 5 Rails (L to I)
2) Pass
Reclaim: [$5, 3 Rail, I] , [2 Rail] , [L,R]

II)
1) Begin an incomplete 9 Rail: (I – towards Double R)
2) Pass
Reclaim: [$5, 3 Rail, I] , [2 Rail, R] , [2 Rail]

III)
1) Finish an 18 Rail (I to Double R)
2) Pass
Reclaim: [$5, 3 Rail, I] , [L, 2 Rail , Magnetic Strip] , [L, R]

IV)
1) Deliver Residential - Leisure = $23
2) Pass
Reclaim: [L, 2 Rail , Magnetic Strip] , [L, R] , [R, 2 Rail]

V)
1) Deliver Industrial – Residential = $18
2) Deliver Residential – Leisure = $23
Reclaim: [L, 2 Rail , Magnetic Strip] , [C,I,R] , [$3, Magnetic Strip]

VI)
1) Deliver Residential – Leisure = $23
2) Deliver Leisure – Residential = $23

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.