Hide
7 Posts

Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Marquise Strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
flag msg tools
So, I've played well over a dozen times now (often against myself) with all manner of configurations of factions... and I consistently have difficulty ekeing out a victory with our fair lady, the Marquise.

NOTES:

- She is extraordinarily limited in actions compared to every other faction; you can mitigate this in part with the Bunny crafted Commander Warren & Cobbler, and through precious bird cards.

- Recruitment stations are needed for the extra card draws, but too much focus on troops alone can result in too many 0 point turns. Rule alone is sufficent to build, without wasting a precious action to Attack.

- A pair of Sawmills seems to be enough, most games; and lumber can serve as a protective buffer, in a pinch, absorbing hits before the Keep. Alternatively, destroy the building, keep the lumber, and rebuild for more points.

- Field Hospital and Crafting are essentially "free" actions; and they work somewhat in tandem - the Marquise is very limited in her crafting, which requires preplanning (literally from the first turn), and therefore most other cards can become action-saving field hospitals. If you're lucky.

Like all the factions, she is very much at the mercy of the deck; arguably a bit less so than the Birds and the WA, nevertheless, I find her capacity to consistently gain points a fairly severe degree less than the other factions (save, of course, for the Lizards)

What has worked for you?
How do we hang an orange banner in every clearing?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my 5 plays of Root, the cats haven't come close to a win! (For sure, we are rookie players.)

Might I speculate that the cats' best chance lies in winning through a domination card, as opposed to 30 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I think they’re a somewhat tough faction to win with. They’re also a lot of fun.

Their greatest weakness, I think, is that they’re starved for actions. Three actions per turn is very limited. As you mention, bunny clearings are the ideal place for early workshops because command warren and cobbler can help increase their actions per turn. (Better Burrow Bank is also a good way to draw into bird cards).

I think bird cards should always be used to get extra actions. Even the highly valuable bird ambush should be used for actions. The Marquise needs those actions a lot more than a handful of cats.

I think the Marquise needs to hit 3 recruiters as early as possible to get the extra card draw, then go highly aggressive. You can’t gain points as fast as the other factions, so you need to slow them down and disrupt their point engines. You don’t need to build every turn, because wood from sawmills will stockpile anyway. Attack and disrupt the other factions as much as possible.

Hit Alliance bases, Otter armies, Lizard gardens, and any Eyrie targets that can disrupt their decree. Hit the Vagabond in the mid game to slow him down and cost him two boots per clearing. Negotiate with the other players to jointly rein in runaway leaders.

Cats are a challenging faction, but I think they have the highest potential of any faction to control the board. This can let them control the tempo of the game and, if the opportunity comes up, use their endless cat forces to pick up a sneaky domination win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might find more answers in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 6 times. 5 of those games was the Marquise vs the Eyrie and the cats have never come close to winning. We have switched sides so each of us have had chances to win with the Cats but to no avail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Vu
msg tools
During my 4th playthrough with the same group, we finally understand that the best strategy for the cats is to rush recruiter and sawmill. Then you recruit almost every turn after that. Also, I don't think it is best for the cats to hold too much land at the beginning. They need those recruiters camp first and then they can reclaim their land for more points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only win with the cats came from this strategy. The only thing I'd add is that positioning really matters. You need to mass troops on a fairly small permiter and guard that perimeter like crazy against Sympathy while making sure you can survive an Eyrie push there. Then, once the bases come out for the WA, swamp them to make rule impossible for anyone else. The WA is really vulnerable once the bases are out, but you don't need to destroy them - you can just clag up the works to prevent them moving and mobilising.

Stricker21 wrote:
During my 4th playthrough with the same group, we finally understand that the best strategy for the cats is to rush recruiter and sawmill. Then you recruit almost every turn after that. Also, I don't think it is best for the cats to hold too much land at the beginning. They need those recruiters camp first and then they can reclaim their land for more points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.