Arena: The Contest» Forums » General

Subject: Arena App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ares Kram
Brazil
New York
flag msg tools
I had this idea on a recent update in Kickstarter, but I think that here would be the right place to discuss it.
What would you think about an App companion for the game? One that would help us to "save" our campaigns by showing the choices we made and the next decisions we have to do. It could replace the use of the campaign tome and even make things easier to follow.
On PvP matches we could be able to create a local room and keep track of the hero's HP, special abilities used, access a glossary with the conditions, access a quick reference to the combat phases and who knows what else each player could be able to check from their own smartphone?
Imagine you choose your team on the app, your friend choose their and you start playing. You choose the attack card, the the defender, roll the dice and get a 'hit' or 'miss', all on the app. The app would calculate the damage, conditions applied and ask if the passive power was activeted to include on the attack.
A narrator with a strong voice reading each part of the campaing would be the cherry on the top. I have no idea how difficult would be to do that, but I think it would be awesome.
Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Bicalho
msg tools
I would appreciate an app to help calculate HP after each damage. ( dont like to calculate 44 - 17 kind of operation). I think there are some MTG and YuGiOh apps that do that.

The rest, I dont think it would help much since you do track the special effects and skills with the cards in game. Since you only take 2 actions per turn, I dont think it would help the pace of the game.

But no Dice App! I always prefer to roll my own analog dice...

For the campaign, maybe it would help to track XP collected, which equipments/scrolls were purchased and etc. Might be helpfull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
To be honest, this game doesn't sound all that complicated that I would need a helper app for it.

This isn't Mage Wars or Gloomhaven - where it's mandatory.

As for announcer and stuff, I would find that too distracting and annoying. It's a tactical game at its core, I want to think and concentrate not hearing annoying buzzing in my ear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind if there is an app, as long as it isn't mandatory. I don't want to fiddle with one during my board games.

To be honest, with what was described for the app, it sounds like Arena in full, and you might not even need the board game at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearing that 44 - 17 is too hard makes me weep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ares Kram
Brazil
New York
flag msg tools
Actually, to calculate Heroes HP would be one more thing to make the game faster. Of course, if there was a way to make it simple on the app. But it wouldn't be the only function for the app as I tried to think about some different possibilities. The first function I thought about was the 'save game'. As the producers said there would be many choices and puzzles to be solved along the campaing and it would have a important impact on the path we would trace each time we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.