Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there.

Welcome to the
OFFICIAL VINDICATION RULES QUESTIONS
thread

We find that navigating rules questions about a new game can be a bit of a chore. There are dozens of threads, half of them full of random tangents, you would like an answer to your specific question quickly because you're in the middle of a game and breaking up the flow of play with a trip to the BGG forums can only be tolerable for so long before people get grumpled, but if you decide to just throw caution to the wind and create a new thread the first three posts are people directing you to the search tool that you already tried and aaaaAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!

So lets do this: post all rules questions to this thread. As we provide official answers we will move those questions to this OP and make a sort of impromptu living FAQ. Will it still be a bit messy? Sure - it's a message board. But we embrace it and are ready to dive in!

Thank you all for your excitement and effusively-kind words about Vindication. It represents a years-long labor of love and finally seeing people enjoying it out in the wild is even more satisfying than we imagined it would be.

See you on the island.

- O'Neb

ATTRIBUTES / INFLUENCE / CONVICTION

Q: The rules state that "at any time on your turn you may recover a block from anywhere in the game - you may also dilute power from conviction to influence." Can you do this as many times per turn as you'd like?

A: Yes, and in particularly tight spots you may find yourself doing so more than you would like!

END GAME TRIGGERS:

Q: Prototype versions of the rules allowed for the removal of end game triggers. Did this make it into the final version of the game?

A: Love this question! Thrashing (removing) end-game triggers became something "gamey" and exploitative in too many of our playtests and tended to favor the leader. We felt that it didn't provide quite enough upside for players in all positions (first to last) so we removed it (other than a few card powers) as one of many things we tested and didn't end up feeling good enough about to include.

Q: Once a trigger has been triggered it states that the end of the round following is the last. If that trigger is subsequently removed (via relic or some other method), is the end of the round following still the last?

A: Yes. You cannot unpull a trigger. #lifelessons

Q: End of Game Scoring Order. During the end of the game scoring are the trigger tokens still collected by the first player to pass them (I think this only matters for the one monster that uses them as an Honor bonus end of game) or are they just removed from the board?

A: Trigger tokens are only collected while the game is underway. Once you've entered endgame scoring you can ignore any that weren't claimed during play.

GENERAL CARD QUESTIONS:

Q: If I meet acquire a card and met its conditions earlier in the turn do I get that card's bonus?

Q: Timing question. I used 4 movement, flipped over the temple card and then visited the temple to gain the trait card that give a bonus if you moved 4 spaces this turn. Do I still gain the bonus for the current turn even though I acquired the card after spending my movement?

A: No. Passive bonuses trigger the moment their conditions are met and cannot be retroactively applied. In this instance the Wanderlust card which states "When you move 4 or more..." would activate and grant its bonus the moment your move was completed.

STARTING COMPANIONS:

Q: Do players get honor for their starting companions?

A: Yes.

COMPANIONS:

Q: What does the text "passive ability" signify on some of the companion cards?

A: Companion abilities labeled 'passive' are always active. Any companion abilities not labeled passive are only active when that companion is activated.

Q: Page 12 of the rules (and the power boards) state that conviction can be used to prevent the death of a champion. How does that work?

A: If your champion would be killed (you just rolled 'death' face on the dice) you may use your conviction (move a conviction block down to influence) to save them.

XINA: PITHY MAGE

Card Text
Dilute 1 power: visit an additional region this turn.

Note:
You must be adjacent to this region. This additional visit action is independent of your normal visit action; you may not gain control of this region during this visit.

Nuance:
The card was intended to allow players to visit an "additional" region, meaning not the same region. Visiting the same region twice would have been worded as additional visit instead of additional region.

DEALMAKER GHA-KEIN

Card Text
Remove 1 card you control from the game. Gain half of its honor rounded down.

Q: Do you lose the removed card's honor, then gain half of it back? So just a way to more efficiently get back influence cubes?

A: You do not lose the cards honor. Honor is gained at the moment cards are acquired. So using Gha-Kein and removing it from the game gains you half its honor over again. The net effect is that the removed card ends up being worth 1.5 its original honor yield.

Example: You acquire a card worth 4 honor. Add 4 honor to your total. You then remove that card with Gha-Kein, gaining you half it's honor. Add 2 honor to your total. You have now gained 6 honor.

BEAST MISTRESS VEROA

Q: What is the ability of the companion Beast Mistress Veroa? Does she a) allow you to upgrade your mount for only 1 strength, or b) allow you to upgrade your mount for 1 fewer strength than normal (so for 2 strength)?

A: She allows you to upgrade your mount for only 1 strength. The iconography on the card supersedes the iconography on the tile. When in doubt trust the clarifications in the card index.

TRAITS:

WONDER
Card Text: When activated, each of your companions may produce the attributes of another of your companions.

Q: Are the other attribute cubes in addition to or instead of the regular ones?

A: Instead of. In this way your wonder enables you to gain the attribute of one companion while taking advantage of the ability of another.

REGIONS / TILE ACTIVATION:

Q: Are the locations adjacent to your starting position pulled at the start of the game or do you just end pulling 3-4 tiles on your first move?

A: The design intent was to have the tiles flipped face up at the start of each player's first turn. "After the game is set up and players have placed their tokens on the starting locations indicated on their journey card, reveal the regions adjacent to the players by drawing from the pouch." Pg 7

Q: Can you control the Academy? The tile itself doesn’t have the 2 honor points but the rule book page 10 shows 2 honor points.

A: YES!

Q: Can you activate the Command Post more than once per turn? The rules seem to have a contradiction on this.

A: You may.

MOVEMENT:

Q: Can you move onto a starting space in the game?

A: YES!

JEWELCRAFTER EXPANSION:

Q: What happens when a player visits the Jewelcrafter tile?

A: There are three uses for the crystals that players can acquire at the Crystal Mines. Two of those uses start with the phrase "TURN IN..." and require the player visit the Jewelcrafter.

PET MENAGERIE

Q: Is moving a pet to a new master a bonus action?

Q: Can companions have multiple pets?

SACRED STONES

Q: Controlling one or two of the stones allows you to move and activate the stones on the same turn. Can you do this in whichever order you'd prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be the first... Muaahahahaha <insert preferred version of evil laugh>

- What happened to the thrashing of end-game scoring conditions? I remember a previous version of the rules had an option for a player to remove and end-game trigger at the expense of some honour.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll think of some others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Neidlinger
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HONOR FOR STARTING COMPANIONS

This was not addressed in the printed visual guide (but will be in the future).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Neidlinger
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
I'll be the first... Muaahahahaha <insert preferred version of evil laugh>

- What happened to the thrashing of end-game scoring conditions? I remember a previous version of the rules had an option for a player to remove and end-game trigger at the expense of some honour.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll think of some others

I love this question! Thrashing (removing) end-game triggers became something "gamey" and exploitative in too many of our playtests and tended to favor the leader. I felt that it didn't provide quite enough upside for players in all positions (first to last) so I removed it as one of many things we tested and didn't end up feeling good enough about to include.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Neidlinger
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPANION -- XINA: PITHY MAGE

Card Text
Dilute 1 power: visit an additional region this turn.

Note:
You must be adjacent to this region. This additional visit action is independent of your normal visit action; you may not gain control of this region during this visit.

Nuance:
The card was intended to allow players to visit an "additional" region, meaning not the same region. Visiting the same region twice would have been worded as additional visit instead of additional region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gerac
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Timing question. I used 4 movement, flipped over the temple card and then visited the temple to gain the trait card that give a bonus if you moved 4 spaces this turn. Do I still gain the bonus for the current turn even though I acquired the card after spending my movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moore
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
question: is there a training video on how to play yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange Nebula wrote:
HONOR FOR STARTING COMPANIONS

A: Negatory

In that case, do you lose their honor when you lose the starting companion like with others?

Edit: I see the answer here and it's Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already posted this in the KS comments but:

Small Q: Are the locations adjacent to your starting position pulled at the start of the game or do you just end pulling 3-4 tiles on your first move?

One more thing. Not so much a question as an observation. The rules state that you can spend a conviction to prevent your Champion from dying when fighting a Monster, but it doesn't actually say that anywhere on the page about fighting Monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Neidlinger
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verballyinsane wrote:

Small Q: Are the locations adjacent to your starting position pulled at the start of the game or do you just end pulling 3-4 tiles on your first move?

One more thing. Not so much a question as an observation. The rules state that you can spend a conviction to prevent your Champion from dying when fighting a Monster, but it doesn't actually say that anywhere on the page about fighting Monsters.

The design intent was to have the tiles flipped face up at the start of each player's first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange Nebula wrote:
verballyinsane wrote:

The design intent was to have the tiles flipped face up at the start of each player's first turn.

Thanks! Is that before their movement, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Blocher
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Q: End of Game Triggers: Once a trigger has been triggered it states that the end of the round following is the last. If that trigger is subsequently removed (via relic or some other method), is the end of the round following still the last?

Q: End of Game Scoring Order: During the end of the game scoring are the trigger tokens still collected by the first player to pass them (I think this only matters for the one monster that uses them as an Honor bonus end of game) or are they just removed from the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trapezoidberg wrote:
Q: End of Game Triggers: Once a trigger has been triggered it states that the end of the round following is the last. If that trigger is subsequently removed (via relic or some other method), is the end of the round following still the last?

I'm fairly certain that there aren't any ways to remove triggers any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Blocher
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trapezoidberg wrote:

My bad! I was going based off the response above.

I would think once it's been triggered, it would just happen, but I'm curious as well then.

As for getting trigger tokens at the end of the game, I wouldn't think that you would since there is no order for the end-game bonuses (and thus no first player to pass them.

The trigger tokens are also a tiebreaker (the third one, though, going to player with the fewest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Blocher
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My wife and I were doing the end of game scoring in player order by line item. First player would score all of their Mastery tiles, then second player, etc. Then First player would score all of their Monster bonuses etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Neidlinger
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Can you move onto a starting space in the game?

YES!

Q: Can you control the Academy? The tile itself doesn’t have the 2 honor points but the rule book page 10 shows 2 honor points.

YES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Callan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Q: Can a player double back when moving (move to a region that they have already moved from this turn)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Callan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
A few questions regarding pages 35-37 of the rulebook (the expansion tiles):

Jewelcrafter Expansion:
Q: What happens when a player visits the Jewelcrafter tile? I assume it is only the action “Create an infused crystal” but I could be wrong.
Q: Are the actions “Use 1 crystal to pay off a companion” and “Turn in 3 crystals to the Jewelcrafter” bonus actions? How many times can they be performed a turn?

Exotic Pets Menagerie Expansion:
Q: When moving a pet to a new master, is this a bonus action and how many times can this be performed a turn? That is, can I place an influence on a companion to move a pet to them, then place an influence on that companion again to activate them (and their newfound pet)? Can I move a pet to a new master then abandon the previous master in the same turn (thereby keeping the pet)?

Sacred Stones Expansion:
Q: Can a player move and then visit a Sacred Stone tile, or must you always visit a Sacred Stone tile before/instead of moving? That is, if a player controls one or two sacred stone tile(s) can they move and then visit the tile or is the movement always taken after visiting?

Building Site Expansion:
Q: Is building a tile from a Building Site a bonus action or does it occur when visiting a Building Site tile? If it is a bonus action, must a player be adjacent to the Building Site tile to build there? How many times can this be performed a turn?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Denison
United States
California
flag msg tools

On page 8, the rules state as part of the Recover Influence bonus action:

You may also dilute power from conviction to influence.

Question: Can you dilute as much power as you want as part of this action?

The reason I ask is that it would be realitvely simple to achieve the 3 point portion of The Prized Crackerjack secret quest as long as you don’t have a ton of influence on companions. I just want to make sure that is intended.

BTW: I love every aspect of this game! Awesome job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Denison
United States
California
flag msg tools
Brian: This is covered in the Initial Placement section of the rules on page 7, in case you missed it. It says:

After the game is set up and players have placed their tokens on the starting locations indicated on their journey card, reveal the regions adjacent to the players by drawing from the pouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spotlit wrote:
Brian: This is covered in the Initial Placement section of the rules on page 7, in case you missed it. It says:

After the game is set up and players have placed their tokens on the starting locations indicated on their journey card, reveal the regions adjacent to the players by drawing from the pouch.

I've read the rulebook at least four times and I never saw that! Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Denison
United States
California
flag msg tools
Same here. I got lucky when I was setting up my first game and happened to be going through the manual page by page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell H
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Can you gain control of a region if you don't pay to also use it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armant Asanti
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
On p.9 under "Conviction", the rulebook mentions using conviction to "prevent a champion from being killed by a monster." However, on p.18, nothing is specified as to how that works. Under Death it simply says to lose honor, return influence, and discard the card, but no info about using conviction.

Also on p.18, you denote your champion with a black cube. I assume this cube is returned after defeating the monster? Is it just a temporary memory aid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.