Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
En route to what will almost certainly be my latest loss to the Slaads, I ran into my situation where my Druid had a Flame Blade card in hand play and then I chose to do Wild Shape. Wild Shapes says that, if I play no cards, I do GG1 (it's WS2) and take no damage. Okay, that's simple.

However, does my flame blade still give its G1 damage that turn? It's not being played, so I would guess it does.

From a "relationship to D&D" standpoint, it makes sense. The "take no damage" represents the Wild Shape taking all the damage for the turn. In 5e, the actual druid takes no damage until the Wild Shape is needed. And Flame Blade is a spell that sticks around, even when in Wild Shape. So, it makes sense that it would do that here, too. However, this is Dragonfire and not D&D, so I wanted to know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
En route to what will almost certainly be my latest loss to the Slaads, I ran into my situation where my Druid had a Flame Blade card in hand play, and then I chose to do Wild Shape. Wild Shapes says that, if I play no cards, I do GG1 (it's WS2) and take no damage. Okay, that's simple.

However, does my flame blade still give its G1 damage that turn? It's not being played, so I would guess it does.

Yup. You didn't play any cards, it was already in play.

Quote:
From a "relationship to D&D" standpoint, it makes sense. The "take no damage" represents the Wild Shape taking all the damage for the turn. In 5e, the actual druid takes no damage until the Wild Shape is needed. And Flame Blade is a spell that sticks around, even when in Wild Shape. So, it makes sense that it would do that here, too. However, this is Dragonfire and not D&D, so I wanted to know for sure.

If you look at the Druid cards, they're all 'remains in play', most likely for this very reason.

Nice combo discovery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild shape is pretty great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
En route to what will almost certainly be my latest loss to the Slaads, I ran into my situation where my Druid had a Flame Blade card in hand, and then I chose to do Wild Shape. Wild Shapes says that, if I play no cards, I do GG1 (it's WS2) and take no damage.

Could I just confirm something. You mention that you "had a Flame Blade card in hand". Do you actually mean it was in hand or did you mean it had been played on a previous turn?

Reading your comment, it seems like you played the Flame Blade the same turn as selecting Wild Shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I got WS, all complaints along the lines "Why don't we have a Cleric again?" suddenly stopped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
En route to what will almost certainly be my latest loss to the Slaads, I ran into my situation where my Druid had a Flame Blade card in hand, and then I chose to do Wild Shape. Wild Shapes says that, if I play no cards, I do GG1 (it's WS2) and take no damage.

Could I just confirm something. You mention that you "had a Flame Blade card in hand". Do you actually mean it was in hand or did you mean it had been played on a previous turn?

Reading your comment, it seems like you played the Flame Blade the same turn as selecting Wild Shape.

It should be "in play", not "in hand." I had played it on an earlier turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
Once I got WS, all complaints along the lines "Why don't we have a Cleric again?" suddenly stopped.

The Sea of Swords mission has a pretty sweet Druid card as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.