Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillermo Petz
Argentina
Cipolletti
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played LoH for first time and I have a question about Égida artifact. This card said “you can use to avoid that one or two of your Hoplites dies” but what happen if i can’t retreat (enemy usurpation for example) because there is not a free and legal adjacent region? All my Hoplites dies no matters what the card said?
Or can i use the Egida artifact to save one or two of them? In this case where i must relocate them?
Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, that's an unusual situation! I hope somebody from AR will clarify that.
I see three possible options:
1) In such case, retreating Hoplites can't be saved by Egida - they just die. That's the easiest interpretation, but also the most boring
2) Hoplites can be saved, but they still can't retreat. If there are enemy Hoplites in the Region (they survived battle, or were recruited by Usurpation), another battle starts immidiately.
3) Hoplites can be saved, and they must retreat to any neighbouring Region. If there are enemy Hoplites in the Region, another battle starts. If there is just enemy's Control Token, the owner of retreating Hoplites gain control there. This is most complicated option, I think, and leads to another questions. For example: if Hoplites retreat to a Region where a battle already is going to happen (because enemy entered both Regions in the same action), do the add their strengh to the battle?

I would opt for the option number 2. It seems it doesn't contradict any actual rule, and doesn't force restrictions on use of Egida.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Petz
Argentina
Cipolletti
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The option 1 is both boring and unfair because when the board is completed there are few regions to come back and few chances of using the card. The text of the card shouldn’t it remain over the general rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
feder73 wrote:
The text of the card shouldn’t it remain over the general rule?

It should. That's why I believe the 2nd option is the best solution - it doesn't contradict any of existing rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Martinez
Argentina
flag msg tools
The 2nd option i think would cause a loop.
Another Battle starts immediately, lose the battle, save the hoplites, another battle starts immediately and so on...
I think it prevents from dying from effects of cards (opponents or the ones you play and demands sacrifice hoplites at the end of the battle)

Maybe it sounds boring but option 1 seems to me the correct one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusan Bugarcic
Serbia
Vršac
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is from official rule book:

The loser of the Battle kills an additional Hoplite and has to withdraw
his/her remaining Hoplites to a neighboring Region
of his/her
choosing.
However, he/she cannot withdraw to a Region controlled by
another player or a Region in which another player’s Hoplites are
present
. If a player is unable to withdraw his/her units, all of them
are killed.

If the attacker loses the Battle, he/she must withdraw to the Region
from which he/she attacked.

So the answer for your question is very easy. You have to retreat and if you do not have neighboring Region, that is neutral or under your control, to retreat to all your Hoplites are dead.

For sure you can't provoke new battle in the same or neighboring Region with your defeated army or take a territory from your opponent. But if you have enough Hoplites (equal or more than Population Strength) you can take neutral territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lacmos wrote:
Another Battle starts immediately, lose the battle, save the hoplites, another battle starts immediately and so on...
I think it prevents from dying from effects of cards (opponents or the ones you play and demands sacrifice hoplites at the end of the battle)

It wouldn't cause a loop, because Egida - as any other Artifact - becomes temporarily useless after it's used, until refreshed with a Build Monument action. So any following battle and retreat would be played with 100% standard rules.

LordDrake wrote:

So the answer for your question is very easy. You have to retreat and if you do not have neighboring Region, that is neutral or under your control, to retreat to all your Hoplites are dead.

For sure you can't provoke new battle in the same or neighboring Region with your defeated army or take a territory from your opponent. But if you have enough Hoplites (equal or more than Population Strength) you can take neutral territory.

Yes, but the main question was: what if Egida is used to save Hoplites who can't retreat from a Battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Friendly Meeple
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumoja wrote:
Yes, but the main question was: what if Egida is used to save Hoplites who can't retreat from a Battle?

I would say if you use Egida to save Hoplites who can’t retreat from a battle they would have to retreat again but can’t and would die a second death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Destefanis
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
publisher
imho Egida doesn't save anything here.

and it's not about game balance either, or the card being weak. If you cant retreat anywhere it's because you let yourself be put in a weak position. That's because you played poorly and/or your opponent played very well.

RAW however the 3 options proposed are fine imho. Of course, the artifact once used can't be used again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Petz
Argentina
Cipolletti
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumoja wrote:
Lacmos wrote:

It wouldn't cause a loop, because Egida - as any other Artifact - becomes temporarily useless after it's used, until refreshed with a Build Monument action. So any following battle and retreat would be played with 100% standard rules.

LordDrake wrote:

Sure, for me the second option is the best option and the most fair to the owner of the Egida artifact. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.