Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone added the encounters to the base game and other expansions? Im just wondering before I start with my new bunch of characters if they are harder, or cause any balancing issues.
I assume they have been playtested and such. Just wondering if anyone has any problems with any of them, or if I should wait till moonshae chronicles for more suprise with the new monsters. Just advice would be nice.

Also the player cards, has anyone used them outside moonshae?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unai Martinez
Spain
Heppenheim
flag msg tools
mb
I tend to not add any extra content until I reach that expansion. So I would play the core scenarios as they are and then once I play the new campaign, if I go back to the core I then add the new content.

I do something similar with the LCGs, I don't add the new cards to the pool until I first play that scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I do the same with lord of the rings LCG, have to wait till i get to the scenario for the player cards. Arkham horror lcg I have to restraint with, I get the pack and use the player cards when I can hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two rules references that apply here.

First, on page 4, upper left sidebar, we find the rules for non-base-box encounters:
Future Encounters: New encounters for existing environments
(as well as brand new environments) will appear in future releases.
Unless specifically stated in an Adventure, use the following
guidelines when adding new encounter cards.
• Always add encounters to the appropriate decks, based on
the icon, as well as the number of icons (the difficulty).
• Each Encounter Deck should always have at least 20 cards
but no more than 40. (Unless the Adventure specifies otherwise)
• All encounters from an expansion must be included if any
will be added.
• If you remove any encounters, all associated encounters (i.e.,
from the base game or an expansion) must be removed

I added the italics, because that rule is technically broken for certain player counts in the Dragonspear Castle adventure.

So from that reading, cards from a given set are treated as a whole, and are included (or left out) as a group.

Then, in page 28 we find rules for modifying the Market:
BUILDING THE MARKET
As Dragonfire expansions are released, more Market cards will
become available. Unlike encounters, which are readily added to
existing Encounter Decks, the Market Deck is a more finicky
beast. With that in mind, use the following rules when adding
new Market cards.
• Never remove any cards from the base Market; the original
sixty cards from the base game must always be included.
• The Market Deck may never contain more than 80 cards.
• Basic Cards may not be added to the Market Deck.
• The party must select Character screens before adding
cards.
• If a card has any “Requires X Class” or “Must Include X
Class” restrictions, those must be followed; e.g., if you’re
going to add Flame Blade to the Market Deck, then a
Druid must be in the party.
• A player may only add up to six total cards, and those
cards must be from their Class.
Note that future rules and Adventures may significantly alter
the above, including removing cards from the Market Deck. And
that’s okay, as they’ll be specifically designed for those changes. The
rules above cover simply grabbing future Market cards and tossing
them into the mix for play with more standard Adventures.

At my table...
MARKET CARDS
We allow Market Cards to be added if we own the expansion, the rules on adding them are restrictive enough (max +6 cards per person, max +20 cards total). One thing I'd *love* to see is cards restricted to the 4 base classes, since the only additional Market cards we've seen to date have only been for the expansion classes. Currently, the base classes are only differentiated by their Feature selection, while expansion classes are differentiated by Feature selection and specialized Market cards.

ENCOUNTER CARDS
We play it as though each encounter group is only encountered when doing the associated Mission. For example, we don't have bleed over from the War represented in "Chaos in the Trollclaws" into other Wilderness based decks. We like these regional differences and feel they give the missions character. I also suspect that since they are presented as stand-alone (with only base box required) that that's how they were tested. As such, that's how we play them. I have four concurrent campaigns running through the content at different stages of progression, more if you count one or two of the groups that have only met once or twice and are unlikely to reform except annually. I haven't felt the need to combine unrelated sets yet, and I'm still seeing new combinations and situations appear.

edits: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, some great info Byron.

And yes, restricted cards for the base four classes are much needed.

I am looking forward to making a team with the new barbarian class, and getting to the moonshae campaign. I have a feeling I will probably be over level by the time I get there, will have to read the rules on putting a few low level characters in along the way to keep the level down. Might mot work, I haven't read the rules on it yet.

Anyway, thanks. Ive kept everything separate in deck boxes based on expansion. The only thing ive mixed is the dragonfire cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knightofthewatch wrote:
Excellent, some great info Byron.

And yes, restricted cards for the base four classes are much needed.

I am looking forward to making a team with the new barbarian class, and getting to the moonshae campaign. I have a feeling I will probably be over level by the time I get there, will have to read the rules on putting a few low level characters in along the way to keep the level down. Might mot work, I haven't read the rules on it yet.

Anyway, thanks. Ive kept everything separate in deck boxes based on expansion. The only thing ive mixed is the dragonfire cards.

I would recommend not including the Dragonfire Cards until you get to a specific adventure. Then, once you have gotten through the adventure, one of the cards (the milestone) will be forced into your DF deck and you may include any additional cards as you choose (in this case, you are permitted to pick and choose, it's not all or nothing).

Some of the Dragonfire cards will NOT make sense story wise until you've been through a given adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, excellent. Thanks for your help.

I will take the cards out, will be easy to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically, the adventures will have you seed the new Dragonfire cards (5 or 6) in the top 12 or so of the Dragonfire deck so you are much more likely to encounter them.

We did this blind the first time we did the first expansion (Dragonspear Castle) and the new Dragonfire Cards were a treat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark V
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Continuing along this line then.... what about the magic that's included in expansions. (if there is any)and also the hidden the wondrous treasures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camarodragon wrote:
Continuing along this line then.... what about the magic that's included in expansions. (if there is any)and also the hidden the wondrous treasures?

If you want to be pure, add nothing until your first group 'gets there' in the story.

For the second and beyond groups, resorting out all the magic items is low value work and I just leave 'em mixed in.

Go with what you're comfortable with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.