Subject: Tournament of the 8 Admirals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Asier Barcena Petisco
Spain
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
badge
Slowly, with joy, forward, to the edge of unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the main thread for the Tournament of the 8 Admirals. Each season of this tournament consists on several rounds, each one of 7 matches. After each round around half of the players are eliminated until there are 8 admirals left, which fight for the title of Great Admiral. In this tournament you can select the sets of cards you're ready to play with; but selecting less sets will be taken into account for tie-breakers.

You can find the rules in this post bellow; although, there may change from one season to another. In particular, the exact rules of each season can be found in the thread of each season.

There is a Messenger Group https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fm.me%2Fjoin%2FA... about this tournament, which I recommend joining, but it is not compulsory.

Once each 5 seasons (the seasons that are multiple of 5) there will be a special event. Normally, the best 2-5 players of each of the four previous seasons will have an especial roll (the number varies depending on the event).

You can consult the winners and finalists of the previous event in the Hall of Fame: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2086503/tournament-8-admira...

Finally, since this is the main thread do not write any write comments unless it interests all of the participants. Otherwise, post it in one of the season thread or send me a Geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules of Season III: Leavitt Campaign
The Tournament of the 8 Admirals is a tournament in which we first pick the best 8 admirals of the galaxy, and then fight each other.

Rules:

1-In order to sign up for the competition, if you have participated in the previous season you just have to accept the Challonge invitation you are going to receive. If you want to change the selected sets you must contact me. Otherwise, you must sign up in and tell me (write in the current season's thread or send me a personal message) which expansion sets you are willing to play with. Once the tournament has started your selection cannot be changed (through the current season). Also include your Challonge name, if different than the Star Realms IGN.

2-The tournament will consist of several rounds. Each round will consist of 6 to 8 matches (the exact number is indicated before the start of each round). In each round leading up to the Final Round (the Final Eight), each match will consist of two games against a given opponent. In one game you must choose a format which contains some (or all) of the sets that your opponent selected. (For instance, if your opponent has VW-BFKA, you can challenge him in W-BF or V-KA or VW or in any other combination.)
In the second game, your opponent will do the same thing with your selection. Each player and their selection will be listed in the thread.
The only exception is when a player which only has Collony Wars as a core set faces a player which only has Vanilla as a core set. In that case, both games must be played using Vanilla as a core set.

3- The players who have arrived to the Final Round of the previous season do not have to and must not play any game in the First Round. Indeed, the Final Round of the previous season will serve as their qualifier: the best 6 players of that Final Round and any other who has at least a 40% victory rate (12 victories out of 28) in that Final Round will continue in the Second Round. If they do not satisfy that condition they will not qualify, even if some of the first 6th players decide not to remain in the tournament in the current season. The number of victories that will be taken into account to the qualified players for untying reasons in following rounds will be a 60% of the number of victories in the Final Round of the previous season.

4-After each round of the competition, approximately half (exact number to be specified before the start of each round) of the players will be eliminated. The idea is to get a power of 2, until we get down to 8 players. The ranking order to make it into the next round (with the exception explained in Point 3) is decided by:

i) Number of victories in the current round (out of 14).
ii) Sum of the number of victories of your opponents of the current round and number of selected sets (willingness to face more variety of challenge is rewarded here as a tiebreaker, but it also allows your opponents more flexibility to challenge you with formats they are most comfortable playing).
iii) Number of victories in the previous round, and then number of victories of your opponents in the previous round plus number of selected sets (and then the previous and so on back to the first round)
Ranking is not decided by any criterion given in Challonge, which is used strictly for convenience.
If there are players in an unresolved ranking tie, they will all make the cut; so, in that sense, the number of players that pass the round can be more than expected, and may be further increased as necessary to attempt to have an even number of players.

5-The final round is played with 8 players, but they could potentially be more. In this round each match will consist of 4 games against each opponent. In 2 games you must choose a format (per game) which contains some of the selected sets by your opponent, and likewise your opponent will do the same for the other 2 games. The criterion to decide the winner in case of draw are the same ranking steps listed above. If there is still an unbroken tie, some extra games must be played following the rules of the BGG tiers championship with the common denominator of the selected sets by the tied players.

6-We use Challonge for convenience, with all players participating in a given round being placed into a round robin, but only the first 6 to 8 matches (the exact number is indicated before the start of each round) shall be played. Any players who happen to receive byes (if we have an odd number of players and except for the Final Round), must await for instructions of the organizer(s) of the tournament about how to proceed, though they will challenge some other player with a bye.

7-In each round of competition, the associated Challonge round robin will have starting dates listed for each match. You must challenge your opponent within 48 hours after the starting date shown in Challonge, otherwise, your opponent may claim the victory, but before they must send him/her a remainder message through Challonge (if you do not know how ask me). Any game started before the listed date without permission will be cancelled (to avoid people playing all the games at once). I will post a reminder of the match start in the thread.

8-If some players decides to quit during the tournament, their remaining games are considered as a loss. (The reason is to give priority to having a fast dynamic tournament than a rigorously fair one; although the untying criterion 3 compensate and the fact of being several rounds makes it a little more fair).

9-This competition can only work if you respect the rules. If there is some problem or you realize you have accepted 2 challenges when you shouldn't, stop playing right away and contact me as soon as possible.

10- There will be granted an award of 60 GeekGold for the winner of each season and 40 for the second position of each Season. Moreover, they will have the right to take a special roll in Season V. If they do not want to participate, the right will pass to the third position player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Season V special- Attack to the 8 Grand Admirals
Right now I only have a sketch of what it will be like. The norms will be made more explicit when Season V approaches.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
This event will run out differently. The best 2 players from SeasonI-IV (Final Round) will have a separate roll and will not play the usual season. Let's call them the 8 Grand Admirals. As for the other players, we will select 8 champions as usual, let us call the Defiant Admirals. Each Defiant Admiral must select one Grand Admiral (the order depends of the number of victories, of course) and play a match to the best of 7. The winners will play a Final Round as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post for the future
Post reserved for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parzival1994 wrote:
Post reserved for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now we are at Season I and the thread can be found at
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2068768/tournament-8-admira...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Season II
I communicate you all that Season II starts in a week. You can register throughout this week. You can find the season thread here https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30585227#30585227

If you have participated in the previous season and do not want to change your set preferences you just have to accept the Challonge invitation you are going to receive soon. If you do not accept the Challonge invitation before the Sunday you will be excluded from the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A message to the players that have qualified:

I recall you that there is one important rule that change: now we play 4 games against each opponent instead of 2. Each ones two the format twice (conditioned by the sets of the opponent, of course ). I recall that there is a prize of 60 BGGold for the champion and 40 BGGold for the second player. More importantly, they both will have the opportunity to challenge the community in Season V, as part of the 8 Admirals. The third position is interesting since it will be the Substitute Admiral, in case someone drops out or there is some repetition. Finally, I recall you that this phase serve as a qualifier of the First Phase of Leavitt Campaign (Season III); and in particular the first 6 player qualify (or, the last 2 won't qualify, as you prefer).

So, good luck to everyone and we start on Friday. Do not forget to check in in Challonge. (The invitations have been sent.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.