Subject: Adjacent houses with more than one colour? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
On page 9 in the English rulebook, example 3 shows how you can pay to build a yellow 2nd floor on a blue 1st floor, although the adjacent house is yellow. The text says you can then build a blue 3rd floor, since it is now a ”2-colored house (blue and yellow).
Question: What happens when you want to build a yellow 3rd floor on the adjacent yellow house? If the left house is ”blue AND YELLOW”, would you have to pay a regulatory token to build the yellow 3rd floor, since the left house is considered to be yellow (and blue)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpingfrog wrote:
On page 9 in the English rulebook, example 3 shows how you can pay to build a yellow 2nd floor on a blue 1st floor, although the adjacent house is yellow. The text says you can then build a blue 3rd floor, since it is now a ”2-colored house (blue and yellow).
Question: What happens when you want to build a yellow 3rd floor on the adjacent yellow house? If the left house is ”blue AND YELLOW”, would you have to pay a regulatory token to build the yellow 3rd floor, since the left house is considered to be yellow (and blue)?

Yes. In fact, we covered that exact problem in the how to play video. (Time stamped just for you.)

If that third floor were blue, then you would NOT have to sacrifice a regulatory bonus tile.

If that third floor were yellow, then you WOULD have to sacrifice a regulatory bonus tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
I’m not sure you understood my question. The video only shows you don’t have to pay a reg-token to put a blue roof on the LEFT house (because it is now both blue and yellow). But what I wonder is what happens if, AFTER this, you build a yellow roof on the RIGHT (yellow) house. If the left house is considered to be yellow (and blue), then a yellow roof on the right building would break rule B.
Are you saying that rule B is only broken if you build a CARD adjacent to a CARD of the same color? Because the rulebook talks about adjacent ”house”, not adjacent ”card”.

Also, there is a slightly unclear use of terminology: the rulebook talks about the color of an adjacent HOUSE, while the speaker in the video tutorial says a rule is broken because of the color of the adjacent CARD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Min Ling
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, adjacent House may not be the same color, which means 1st, 2nd and also 3rd may not exist the same color.

Your question is: should I pay a token if I build a yellow on [__!__]?
3rd [__!__]
2nd [yellow] [yellow]
1st [yellow] [_blue_]

The answer is: yes! You have to pay. I think it is a rare situation so I would recommend you to avoid building like this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK, so that answers my question. But how could this be a rare case? The situation would arise everytime you use a regulatory token to build a house with more than one color. It’s the obvious situation after the one that is described both in the rulebook and the tutorial video!
To put it differently: in what situations could you use a regulatory token to break a rule where the problem I mentioned would NOT arise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Min Ling
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, for example, there are six colors in the game, if you place red, orange, pink, or green into [__?__], then you can place yellow into [__!__] without spending a token. There are 5 colors you can place into [__?__] to avoid your case so I think it is rare.
3rd [__!__]
2nd [yellow] [__?__]
1st [yellow] [_blue_]

Another solution is: if you have a 3rd yellow and a 2nd yellow in your hand, you may place the 3rd yellow into [__!__] at first, then you place the 2nd yellow into [__?__] by spending only 1 token.

I hope this will answer your question If there are any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, yes... you can avoid creating the scenario mentioned in the rulebook and the video by using other colors than yellow. Still, the rules are a bit unclear regarding further building in that particular scenario. It can’t be all that rare since you have chosen it to exemplify the rule in both the rulebook and the video! In fact, it’s most likely that a player uses his regulatory token to create a scenario with multi-colored houses, and then the scenario would occur in about 15 % of the cases - and twice as often if there is also another house with a different color to the right of the two houses in the example scenario. That’s hardly ”rare”. I’m quite surprised that noone seems to have considered further building in that scenario. Has it really never happened during playtest sessions that someone has built houses in the way that the rulebook actually uses as an example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Min Ling
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I understand you may feel a little frustrated when you meet this case. But I think the meat of the game is to follow the color rules to build. I provide the token to spend not to encourage players to use this as they wish, but to let players may not stock in some rare case. Actually, in my test, the player who uses 3 or more tokens never win.

I am sure this is a rare case since I never met this question during my test and the four days demo-play at essen spiel. I apologize about my example in the rulebook making you feel this is a common case. Actually, it is not, and I would say to build like my example is not a good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rogers
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
I want to make sure I understand this, because it seems like the rule (as I'm understanding Wei-Min Ling to describe it) could have very harsh results. Let's say I have the following in front of me:

[ X ] [ Z]
[Blue][ Y]
[Blue][Red]

Let's say I, for some reason, have to put a Red on X. I am penalized, both because it doesn't match the blue rest of the house and because the left house is now the same color as the right house.

Then, no matter what color I put in Y, I am penalized. If it's red, I lose a token because the left building is partially red; if it's any other color, I lose a token because it doesn't match the red first floor.

Then later, when I place Z, there's a decent chance I will also get penalized. The only way around that would be for Y to be a third color that's not red or blue, and then make Z that same third color. If Y is red, Z is an automatic penalty because it's either different from the rest of the right building, or it's red and thus the same as X. If Y is blue, Z is still an automatic penalty because it's either red or blue (same as the left building) or some other color (and doesn't match either of the first two floors of the right building).

It therefore appears that one bad move (making X red) could result in not just one penalty, but two guaranteed penalties and a very likely (if not guaranteed) third penalty as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Min Ling
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand it. I would like to make this game looking pretty and still gain high scores but not to use the penalty rule intentionally to try to get high scores.

For your example,
[ X ] [ Z]
[Blue][ Y]
[Blue][Red]

If player get a red roof, I would like to make player to place it on [Z], but not [X]. There is no reason to place it on [X]. If they place the red on [X] for some reason, that will be really penalty. That's my thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Quek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To reiterate on that, you have three cards in hand and can have more during your turns, so being "forced" to be a Red on X is very unlikely and rare, especially if the player is aware that such a bad situation may occur. It has never happened in the games we played either as we are all aware of that situation. Perhaps it's important to remind new gamers or younger players about this to prevent losing 6 points (2 tokens).
Excellent game, by the way. The solo mode works really well too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.