Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Friedman
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I own and enjoy Mombasa but it doesn't get to the table as much as I'd like it to. To those that have played, how does it compare? Which one do you like more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackout:Hong Kong's theme is at least more palatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want some data...

112 users on BGG have rated both Mombasa and Blackout: Hong Kong. Average ratings for those 112 users:

Mombasa: 8.24
Blackout: Hong Kong: 7.93

Of course, it's only 112 users, so it's bound to change as more users rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
If you want some data...

112 users on BGG have rated both Mombasa and Blackout: Hong Kong. Average ratings for those 112 users:

What kind of voodoo is this? How did you pull up that data?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
frootsnax wrote:
I own and enjoy Mombasa but it doesn't get to the table as much as I'd like it to. To those that have played, how does it compare? Which one do you like more?

It’s hard to say. They are very different, the card management system is similar. I love Mombasa (with 20+ plays) and Blackout was played frequently during development. When my production copy arrives later this week I will run it through my game group but I feel like there is room for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
nbread wrote:
If you want some data...

1) Go to the "View Similarly Rated Games" link on a game's ratings page. Here's the link for Blackout: Hong Kong.

2) For the "User's Rating Range", change the min and max ratings to 1 and 10. This ensures that you grab all users who have rated Blackout: Hong Kong.

3) Click the Submit button.

4) Search the output results for Mombasa. You'll see that among all users who have rated Blackout: Hong Kong, 112 have also rated Mombasa. Their average rating for Mombasa is 8.24.

5) Repeat this process, but on Mombasa's "View Similarly Rated Games" page. You'll see that among all users who have rated Mombasa, 112 have also rated Blackout: Hong Kong, with an average rating of 7.93.

The only qualifier I have to this process is that for games that have a lot of ratings, it can take BGG a while to pull the data. Sometimes the data pull fails altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
nbread wrote:
If you want some data...

1) Go to the "View Similarly Rated Games" link on a game's ratings page. Here's the link for Blackout: Hong Kong.

2) For the "User's Rating Range", change the min and max ratings to 1 and 10. This ensures that you grab all users who have rated Blackout: Hong Kong.

3) Click the Submit button.

4) Search the output results for Mombasa. You'll see that among all users who have rated Blackout: Hong Kong, 112 have also rated Mombasa. Their average rating for Mombasa is 8.24.

5) Repeat this process, but on Mombasa's "View Similarly Rated Games" page. You'll see that among all users who have rated Mombasa, 112 have also rated Blackout: Hong Kong, with an average rating of 7.93.

The only qualifier I have to this process is that for games that have a lot of ratings, it can take BGG a while to pull the data. Sometimes the data pull fails altogether.

This is really great and should be part of a "BGG tips" thread. Actually it probably is already and I just don't know about it. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Blackout yet, but wanted to say that nothing can replace Mombasa for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozgur ozubek
Turkey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rebubula423 wrote:
I haven't played Blackout yet, but wanted to say that nothing can replace Mombasa for me

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they really that similar? People are actually giving credence to this idea that one replaces the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Friedman
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Bryle wrote:
Are they really that similar? People are actually giving credence to this idea that one replaces the other?

I don't know! That's why I'm asking. I'll happily own both but I've heard people comparing the two and seen stray comments that they feel similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, you asked a great question. I've heard that these games are similar as well. Specifically I heard Blackout borrows Mombasa's card pile mechanic. I just expected people to answer with the major differences between the games. That's not happened, instead I'm seeing unexpected responses potentially suggesting that they're quite similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryle wrote:
Don't get me wrong, you asked a great question. I've heard that these games are similar as well. Specifically I heard Blackout borrows Mombasa's card pile mechanic. I just expected people to answer with the major differences between the games. That's not happened, instead I'm seeing unexpected responses potentially suggesting that they're quite similar.

It borrows parts of the card mechanics. But you have to take the largest pile while you can select the pile at Mombasa.
In Mombasa you make neutral companies control areas when putting a house in the area. In BO your own markers need to surround an area before you yourself control the area with your house.
Scouting areas has variable setup bonuses in BO whilst the board is fixed in Mombasa.
In Mombasa you play the resource by card choice. In BO available resources are indicating by dice and you play cards afterwards to gain of the resources that are potentially available. Each card might be a different resource -depending on the dice.
The market works differently. Whilst a single cards is removed after each round in Mombasa it will only be removed if it wasn't bought. Rows are filled only when emptied while in Mombasa there are cards coming every round.
In BO you have objectives on cards which have to be fulfilled individually and you actually have to pay the resources whilst in Mombasa you can streak a series of books and having the resource is already enough.

There are likely points I've missed.

Oh the price. Mombasa is available here @ 25 €, whilst BO costs 45 € atm.

These are closer to each other by mechanics than they are to Great Western Trail. But they are different games. Which one is better? I don't know yet. Just read the rules of BO.
Waiting until it hits online retail in Germany which does not happen before January. Until then it's local stores only...
Well, might be able to get it at a better price that way.

And the pile of shame is large enough as it is anyway. Rails to the North needs to be played for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games only have one similar main element in common: the card mechanism. The big difference there is: In Blackout weak cards hinder you. You want to get rid of them. Scouting and removing cards from your deck, is a core element in Blackout.

Otherwise in Mombasa you gain stocks in companies, which fight each other. There are no physical resources (only printed on cards). All points are scored at game end.
In Blackout you have to adapt to a random dice roll, gather resources und spend them to build up an efficient team and help the people during the blackout. You score the most points during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome to see you active on social.
Great games Mr Pfister! Keep it up.

One note on behalf of my wife - please, always have yellow as a color to choose for players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony L
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
Both games only have one similar main element in common: the card mechanism. The big difference there is: In Blackout weak cards hinder you. You want to get rid of them. Scouting and removing cards from your deck, is a core element in Blackout.

Otherwise in Mombasa you gain stocks in companies, which fight each other. There are no physical resources (only printed on cards). All points are scored at game end.
In Blackout you have to adapt to a random dice roll, gather resources und spend them to build up an efficient team and help the people during the blackout. You score the most points during the game.

I got to play this on Saturday at PAX Unplugged. First, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. My partner and I agree that it's basically an instant purchase once it becomes available.

However, I'm confused by the statement "removing cards from your deck is a core element in Blackout".

Did we miss a fundamental rule, or are you talking about intentionally losing cards to scouting? Until much later in the game, it seemed like you had little choice in which card you ended up losing to the random scouting. Later on, when you had built up some scout tokens or passive scouting discounts, it seemed more possible to lose intentional volunteers to the scouting action, but it was significantly later in the game when that option "unlocked", as it were, and I wouldn't consider it a core part of the strategy at that point.

By that point, all players had unlocked the 4th card play slot, and were basically refreshing every turn.

But we learned to play mostly by ourselves, with some instruction / clarification by a helpful PAX Enforcer, so it's perfectly plausible that we missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like in most deckbuilders you start with weak cards (only giving you 1 good). So every scout action early in the game thins out your deck. So you can't get rid of a specific card, but with scouting and sometimes using the doctor, you can form a good team (deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.