Subject: Most paranoid session ever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a custom game. I play with the base board plus two damaged mark 7s replacing 2 mark 2s plus all crisis/player/skill cards (minus leaders and anything that mentions the cag/mutiny/assault raptor/other boards). This focuses the game on the YAAC/YANAC question and scouting.

I also occasionally play with my sympathizer variant when we are 6 players. This means someone starts with the sympathizer but never reveals it. They are essentially a hidden/soft revealed cylon. Only the first cylon to reveal gets a super crisis card with this variant. I worry about balance at times but this past weekend at bottoscon reaffirmed my love for this...

We had 6. I explained the sympathizer variant and dealt out loyalty cards, ensuring the sympathizer was in the first deal.

We had myself as Romo Lampkin (not a cylon) followed by Roslin, Helo pilot, Starbuck, Chief and Admiral Cain.

----------------------------------------------------------

Play started tamely enough, until Cain had the opportunity to look at a loyalty card. He chose President Roslin....and said nothing. I pressed him on this and he stated she was fine for now....! I pointed out to the others how this made no sense. Eventually he relented and stated that Roslin was not a cylon at this time. Why he didn't just state this right away I did not know. We began to suspect both of them.

At some point we put Cain in the brig, due to a crisis. He began to complain bitterly, but did not reveal. This made us suspect a sympathizer, and perhaps Roslin as a cylon partner he was trying to cover for. We made a jump of 2 iirc selected by admiral Helo.

I took the presidents title (we had cleaned up the starting cylons and were not under any real resource pressure as of yet, and this is one of my favorite moves presleeper). We made jump#2 for a distance of 1. Now we started to wonder if Helo having the admiralty was a smart thing or not. He claimed he had little choice. At some point thereafter, Roslin convinced/crisised me into the brig. I was content to sit there for awhile and help from there.

On the next round Chief xoed Cain to get out of the brig. We thought this highly suspicious as most of us suspected Cain of being the sympathizer. We let it pass however as we were not entirely convinced, saving cards for now. He followed this by putting Helo in the brig to get his title back, which raised our hackles. On his actual turn (right after the XO Chief gave him) I convinced him to use Cains ability to jump, as we were early in the jump cycle, and this would get us to the sleeper phase. He was very reluctant to do this, making claims of sympathy for the people (pop loss and the like). I told him this would go along way towards proving his loyalty and that seemed to help, he jumped the fleet, getting a 2 distance for 2 fuel.

We made it to the sleeper phase with fingers pointing all over, but mostly at Roslin and Cain, as they were working to keep Helo or myself in the brig on a flimsy premise (destination and taking the presidency). Of course, this is a matter of perspective! Im sure from their point of view if they were human it all made sense...

And now I drew a YAAC (reduce jump prep by 2). I always try to position myself for this presleeper, so started looking at my options. Starbuck and Helo were fairly human playing so far (but for one jump). I had my suspicions about Roslin/Cain or Chief/Cain, so played those up and campaigned to get myself out of the brig and decided to play pro human until a critical point. That worked, and Helo and I both exited the brig. I made Starbuck vice president.

Then a critical point happened. The Chief got to look at one of my loyalty cards. I shuffled and held them out face down. He pulled one, looked and put it back. Then stated I was a Cylon. I didnt drop a beat and immediately called him on it, stating he was lying to cover up for his Cylon buddy, Cain.

I convinced Starbuck to sickbay Chief, yet he still emerged to repair the hangar deck. I pointed out this was irrelevant due to the dearth of attack cards, so it proved nothing.

We ran into a combination of heavy crisis/cylon attack cards now. The action was getting hot as the space filled with basestars and raiders of both types and a centurion emerged from the crisis deck to board galactica. Morale was slipping but of great interest was the fuel...it had taken repeated hits from the poor destination choices and crisis to the point where there was 1/2 left. I pointed out that we were fine as we only needed to pay for one more jump but couldnt trust Cain to do it. As a result I shortly thereafter took the Admiralty from Cain via qorum. This went largely without protest except from Roslin/Cain which just played into my attempts to portray them as a Cylon/sympathizer pair.

I played an inspirational speech which failed. I made noises about being able to increase food but not much else, so dug some more into the qorum deck. Meanwhile I made sure to support every crisis I could with my skill cards and several times got to prove it by doing so (precards, faceup, positive cards being mine/negative not mine etc.). The rest fought off the external cylon threat.

I was wondering why the Chief didnt make more protests about dealing with me...as he knew I was a cylon...or did he? I didnt dare look at my other loyalty card when he had returned mine....and Roslin hadn't revealed yet. That just left myself hiding and the sympathizer Cain in the brig.

The Cain player had to leave, so we had a substitute join. He immediately revealed as Cain, which in all honesty made us all look around the table, convinced until then that Cain was the sympathizer!

I still had Helo and Starbuck on my side, so continued to point at Roslin/Chief as our likely suspects. Roslin got to look at one of the Chiefs cards and accused him of being a sympathizer. Then Helo drew the ultimate cylon detector crisis, which looks at all loyalty cards of one players. I swore a bead of sweat rolled down my forehead! I worked hard to convince Helo that he should look at Roslins, as that would pretty much confirm both Roslin and the Chief. Starbuck rightly countered, saying we should check me as I had both titles. Helo also made the case that Starbuck now had three loyalty cards after Cain's reveal, so mathematically she could be the hidden cylon. I shrugged. Starbuck complained. Helo checked her cards and confirmed her as human.

I now knew the table, but despite Roslins bleating of innocence and Cylon Cains cries for the other cylon to reveal, continued to bide my time and wait for the right moment. I just wanted a jump! At that point I could likely kill them on fuel. The Cylon threat continued and population took some hits, we even countered a jump prep back crisis which really tempted me (combined with my reveal special that would be the loss of 3 jump icons with a significant space threat out)!

I waited. It was excruciating but I continued to help the humans. The paranoia was intense as Roslin tried to prove his innocence while Helo was sure I was innocent, as I could've seriously damaged the human cause by now. Starbuck wasn't sure who to believe! Chief of course had to continue walking the fence and pointing back at Roslin.

Finally the moment came. We jumped. I drew the destination cards....and smiled as I played a 3 distance for 2 fuel. The fleet only had 1. robot

The table erupted!

It was only then that the Chief confirmed Roslins suspicions but also dropped another revelation; he had drawn my human card, but resolved to accuse me either way! So he finished the game never being entirely sure what I was and without either of us knowing it. Wow.

Best game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
(Cain) jumped the fleet...and Helo drew a 1.

Now we started to wonder if Helo having the admiralty was a smart thing or not. He claimed he had little choice

Helo was correct. There is absolutely no choice when doing Blind Jump.

(Unless you have a house-rule to actually choose between destinations for Blind Jump. Or not have a house-rule to Blind Jump to the first non-scouted destination, but then whoever scouted would be the suspect, not Helo.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Talonz wrote:
(Cain) jumped the fleet...and Helo drew a 1.

Now we started to wonder if Helo having the admiralty was a smart thing or not. He claimed he had little choice

Helo was correct. There is absolutely no choice when doing Blind Jump.

(Unless you have a house-rule to actually choose between destinations for Blind Jump. Or not have a house-rule to Blind Jump to the first non-scouted destination, but then whoever scouted would be the suspect, not Helo.)

No I must be misremembering some details. I think Helo must have jumped us the first two times, dropping the 1 on jump 2, then Cain got out, brigged Helo, recovered the admiralty and made the third (blind) jump, dropping a mediocre 2 for 2.

Sending my report to my players for feedback.

Fixed that and Helo's last loyalty check decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.