Subject: Rulebook anywhere? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I find the latest rulebook for this game?

I have found the Living Rulebook, but it's just plain text without any images for newcomers.
Is there something more friendly anywhere?

Also this looks better, but it's from 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
I have found the Living Rulebook, but it's just plain text without any images for newcomers.

You have found it. Because Sierra Madre Games rules stay alive forever (or undead, as others would put it), they are always in an editable format and (mostly) text. You can use the other document for the pictures only (the text is obsolete and the style has been dramatically improved in the meantime), look for additional graphical material in the files listed on BGG, or kindly ask Phil Eklund to add some pictures to the Living Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see the living rules for games that have been out long enough they are "stable" get formalized as PDF with formatting and images. Even better if we could buy an updated rulebook that would fit in the box for games like this or Bios: Genesis.

I don't expect it will happen, but doesn't hurt to verbalize the dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer it when the graphics and fancy, colored backgrounds are left out of living rules. If I want to print them out, it's much less ink-intensive without all the graphical embellishments.

I can accept graphics which illustrate examples from the rules. However, page borders, non-white page backgrounds, and all the other ink-using, unnecessarily fancy stuff that usually go along with pdfs, I could live without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I see the latest edition is the 2015 English Collector's Edition.
Isn't there a pdf of it's rulebook available anywhere?

I understand I should use the living rules oficially, but I would like to read the rules in a friendly way for starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Uh, Pax Porfiriana is notorious for the rulebook being hard to read. There is no "friendly way".

Honestly, that 2012 PDF looks better than the real rulebook that shipped with my copy. I'd start there. Then go watch one of the learn to play videos.

I almost always prefer rules to videos, but in this case I changed my mind.

Good luck, it's a great and interesting game that is easier to play than it is to explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules shown on Yucata, based on the Living Rules but illustrated, are the best I have seen:

https://www.yucata.de/en/Rules/PaxPorfiriana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Smith
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alekhine wrote:
The rules shown on Yucata, based on the Living Rules but illustrated, are the best I have seen:

https://www.yucata.de/en/Rules/PaxPorfiriana

Yup, I was just about to suggest these. I don't have the original edition but the Yucata rules mimic the Collector's Edition format that I have (including the strategy commentary at the end). I've found the CE rulebook super accessible relative to Eklund's other stuff and Yucata's implementation also allows for easy term searches as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That video is the one that taught me, that's for sure! Really excellent.

And yes, the rules on Yucata have the pictures.

Leo, if you want I'm happy to run a teaching game on Yucata if you were interested to try it out.

I don't know to what extent Yucata matches the latest living rules, but the differences would be pretty minor I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I will take all your advices.

casualcasual wrote:
Which video? The one on the Yucata site?

casualcasual wrote:
Leo, if you want I'm happy to run a teaching game on Yucata if you were interested to try it out.
Thanks a lot. I'm still just sniffing the game. Maybe in a few weeks when I have had the time to understand it a little, I may ask you about your offering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
Thanks. I will take all your advices.

casualcasual wrote:
Which video? The one on the Yucata site?

casualcasual wrote:
Thanks a lot. I'm still just sniffing the game. Maybe in a few weeks when I have had the time to understand it a little, I may ask you about your offering.

Yes, the one on the site (i first saw it just on youtube when I got the game).

No problem at all. Send me a PM on here or on Yucata (I use the same username). It's a great game.

Hablo un poco de espanol pero para explicar el juego es dificil para mi, yo creo, jaja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gracias! No hay problema. Entiendo mejor inglés de lo que lo escribo. Saludos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.